Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
and what makes going for a person based on looks any more superficial than choosing someone based on brains?
Short term versus long term. Style over substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ding ding! I was being sarcastic.
Lol! Well played, but FYI I went ahead and googled "Placebo Effect in Dating" and I found this. the placebo effect of dating | Stephanie Klein Greek Tragedy

Quote:
The Placebo Effect has always fascinated me, not so much with regard to our health, or the validity of acupuncture or chiropractic treatments, but with how this concept of “belief following behavior” could be applied to my dating life.

The practice of forcing myself to date the men who were actually interested in me—the over-eager boring ones who never made me work for it, the ones who’d make great fathers, and put me first—was a test-study of the “belief follows behavior” axiom. If I forced myself to date celery instead of funnel cake (behavior), I’d soon actually believe that I prefer these celeriac men (belief). The same way that forcing yourself to smile even if you’re miserable (behavior), actually DOES make you feel better (belief). “If I’m smiling, I must be happy.” Then we actually feel happier. So if I forced myself to continue to date a man to whom I had no attraction (behavior), the assumption is that I’d grow to be attracted to him (belief). That’s why we hear so many stories of, “Well, I wasn’t attracted at first, but then the more I got to know him, the more I liked him.”
Digress threads. It's what I do.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Short term versus long term. Style over substance.

What makes a smarter person better than a dumber person? I don't think that's any real substance.

The only thing it really comes down to is how you're treated. I've seen some really mean smart people, some really mean dumb people, really mean ugly and good looking people.

If they don't treat you well, it doesn't matter what they are.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What makes a smarter person better than a dumber person? I don't think that's any real substance.

The only thing it really comes down to is how you're treated. I've seen some really mean smart people, some really mean dumb people, really mean ugly and good looking people.

If they don't treat you well, it doesn't matter what they are.
I agree with you though. Just treat people well. It doesn't matter to me either, but I would rather be with someone interesting and at least somewhat intelligent than just a beautiful person. There lies my point.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I agree with you though. Just treat people well. It doesn't matter to me either, but I would rather be with someone interesting and at least somewhat intelligent than just a beautiful person. There lies my point.
If by intelligent you mean a 36C, I totally agree

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
And Robert you have the more money wrong. I had a good prospect whom made a but load of money, but he was soooooo boring. I declined a second date.
I'm going off of what I've seen. The only exceptions were people who became doctors and dentists, because their income spread is quite a bit higher then what I described.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm going off of what I've seen. The only exceptions were people who became doctors and dentists, because their income spread is quite a bit higher then what I described.
Money helps. But its not everything.He was immature bafoon. He thought dressing up like a dog and mooning people was cool. Long story.
But in the end a woman likes a nice face and some money. But not a grown child.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM

681 posts, read 618,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Money helps. But its not everything.He was immature bafoon. He thought dressing up like a dog and mooning people was cool. Long story.
But in the end a woman likes a nice face and some money. But not a grown child.
haha, he dressed up like a dog and mooned people? haha that's funny.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
Yeah he had a Halloween party. A few of us were dressed up. I was a goddess.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
He lives on the wrong coast.

Google: Amtrak mooning

Every summer, a bunch of nutty people gather near a tavern in Laguna Niguel, CA in Orange County to moon the LA-San Diego Amtrak train! Fortunately, Republican Orange County has turned its other cheek to this practice and has allowed the tradition to continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships