Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,644 times

Advertisements

Depends on the personality. If we're talking relationships, a woman will generally choose personality over looks, at least from what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course women care about looks....but I don't think they put looks at nearly the priority as men do. I've known plenty of great looking men that were irritating, arrogant or boring... there's no amount of 'good looks' that would get me to date a guy like that.

I DO think that how a man makes a woman feel can and does trump attractiveness. There are women, of course, who will only go after good looking men, and good looking men will get most of the women. Will those women stick around? Are those women worth starting a relationship with? Maybe. Maybe not.

Are we talking about initial stage of dating or are we discussing long term implications. Because 9.9 times out of 10 you ladies are going to go with the best looking guy regardless. Personality usually only becomes a fact after the first date has been set.

Nothing wrong with wanting a great looking guy. Let's just call it the way it is. Good looks always supercede personality in the initial stages.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ok time for some reciprocity. Discuss.
No. Next question.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Are we talking about initial stage of dating or are we discussing long term implications. Because 9.9 times out of 10 you ladies are going to go with the best looking guy regardless. Personality usually only becomes a fact after the first date has been set.

Nothing wrong with wanting a great looking guy. Let's just call it the way it is. Good looks always supercede personality in the initial stages.
If you're super boring and have no personality to speak of, it will be tough even if you're handsome. A handsome/striking guy will get attention and looks and maybe some flirting in an open social setting, like a bar, but if his personality sucks, only the most shallow women will still be interested.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I've known plenty of great looking women that were irritating, arrogant and/or boring...

I also wasn't interested in them.
Excellent I do think this happens more often as men get older and (some) realize there's more to women then what they look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

I won't go on a date with a guy unless I know something about his personality. Why waste his time and mine? Perhaps that's why I have so many issues dating... I actually take my time to get to know someone and if our personalities don't mesh I'm not interested anymore.

As for the 'best looking guys' my girlfriends must be VERY odd then, because most of them have dated men who weren't anything special to look at.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Excellent I do think this happens more often as men get older and (some) realize there's more to women then what they look like.

I think this happens a lot more than what you give guys credit for

Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM

315 posts, read 383,960 times
My ex had an average build and boyish good looks. Some would consider him average because he didn't have a hot body, but he made up for it with his personality, outgoing attitude, had healthy interests and lifestyle, responsible, God fearing, funny, smart, articulate, warmth, great smile, and at times was generous to those he loved. He was loyal to his friends and family as well. He was also average height. It seems that most women would of passed him up based on that alone if they were shallow and superficial.

There was this handsome, extremely hot guy I was interested in turned out to be bipolar nightmare. And let me tell you, this guy was hot that everytime I was around him, I felt like I was on fire. He owned his own business, fantastic body, being 6'4" & 245 of pure muscle, dark, handsome, great smile, charming, smart, funny, and sexy, with similar interests, however he was emotionally unstable, a narcissist, drank during the day, and had a bit of a violent streak. He asked me out and I turned him down, mainly because I wasn't yet single (which I told him I wasn't) and also because I didn't feel safe with him for some reason. And this man was one of the sexiest men I've ever laid eyes on. Ideally, it would I so wanted him to be in the range of normal, but he wasn't. His emotional instability turned me off. That and he put me in a headlock one time when he took non physical light teasing too far. There were other things about him I would not waste time dealing with.

Last edited by freespiritbty; 12-30-2012 at 12:39 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think this happens a lot more than what you give guys credit for
Perhaps, but I'm still fairly young so I haven't experienced it myself. The guys I know are still chasing barely legal women and couldn't care less if they have any thoughts in that pretty little head of theirs. I have a feelings things will start changing as they mature a bit, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Being a hot dude never impacted me negatively.......

Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
He lives on the wrong coast.

Google: Amtrak mooning

Every summer, a bunch of nutty people gather near a tavern in Laguna Niguel, CA in Orange County to moon the LA-San Diego Amtrak train! Fortunately, Republican Orange County has turned its other cheek to this practice and has allowed the tradition to continue.
When I was in college, the boys dorm ran naked in the halls of the girls dorm once a year. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships