Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Sadly it's a decline in morals. Years ago courting occurred when a man was interested in marrying a woman (men were marriage minded back then)and he would do things like come over and sit on the front porch with her parents close by. Then dating evolved to going to movies on Saturday night or to dinner and marrying after a few years (or sometimes a few months).

Now though it seems that it has evolved to meeting someone, having sex, possibly having babies all without marriage and often without a bond. Meanwhile disease is on the rise and out of wedlock pregnancies and we have the horrible society we have today.

To be fair though, while sometimes we romanticize courting and dating often they had sexist views. Men were marrying basically to have maids and women were marrying so they wouldn't be spinsters and to be taken care of. Dating was a little more different, but even so in many cases it was for this reason too, though not always. I understand going slow in dating (especially online)so I understand the logic of hanging out or becoming friends first. What I don't get is sleeping with people like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, this is another thing. There are plenty of women out there who aren't stuck on themselves. I don't know why you (and other guys here, going by the complaints) keep running into these ego-driven types. As if all of American womanhood of a certain generation (or any generation, going by the complaints on C-D... ) were all cut from the same mold. You can see how ridiculous that idea is, right?
I'm not saying it's just American women. Since I'm American, I've dated mostly Americans (lol) so of course I've seen it more here.

I'm not saying there aren't women that are down to earth. I'm just saying it's less common. I think the culture of entitlement has a lot to do with this.

I mean look at some of the female posters here. Many of them are not down to earth at all (I would name a few, but I'm sure that will get me suspended again). Many of them claim to be extremely attractive. I've seen pictures of some of these women and I can tell you that they are not nearly as attractive as they claim to be.

NOTE: Yes, I will acknowledge that I, a man, also claim to be good-looking. In truth, I'm usually joking around when I talk about things like that. I get girls based on my personality, not my looks.

NOTE #2: I'm NOT saying that guys aren't like this too. I don't date guys, so my experience in this sense is limited.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about "that" girl.
Somebody was, or the discussion wouldn't have taken that particular turn.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
I'm not saying it's just American women. Since I'm American, I've dated mostly Americans (lol) so of course I've seen it more here.

I'm not saying there aren't women that are down to earth. I'm just saying it's less common. I think the culture of entitlement has a lot to do with this.
OK, this is more discussable than sweeping generalizations. This is what women mean when they say "good" men are hard to find. "Good" anyone are hard to find, especially taking into account matching interests, and all that other stuff. But guys whose priority in dating is sex shouldn't be surprised if they keep running into women whose priority is, well, sex.
Right?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, this is more discussable than sweeping generalizations. This is what women mean when they say "good" men are hard to find. "Good" anyone are hard to find, especially taking into account matching interests, and all that other stuff. But guys whose priority in dating is sex shouldn't be surprised if they keep running into women whose priority is, well, sex.
Right?
You know what I find funny (in a sick way)is that men especially will find women they just want for sex but are really searching for a woman as a mate and discount these women. Many women on the other hand will sometimes sleep with a man thinking she is going to be his relationship only to find out he just wants her for sex. Not always of course, just something I've noticed. Reminds me of the old saying "there are girls you sleep with then there's the girl you marry". I noticed once I stopped sleeping with a guy too early that it got rid of these guys and I found better quality men.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why would you know that information anyway? If you do know a female and she is doing those things don't you think she would want to keep that information private to avoid looking like easy? And some woman would find it hard to not have sex with a sexy guy if he doesn't have any connections to her family or friends which would make her act impossible to find out.
That is too ridiculous to even know what to argue.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's still out there, you just have to hold out for it. I had right in my profile I wanted to date properly, and while it thinned the numbers, I found there are still men who want to be men. My bf courted me right, right from the start.
There's no right way to court..not all situations are the same. People get to know each other differently.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
But shouldn't I expect the same in return? Traditional dating seems to dictate that it's only the man's job to do this.

You can have good manners, grace and dignity while hanging out as well. Dating seems to operate on a special set of rules.
I don't believe I have ever been in a situation where I was interested in someone, treated them well and that not be reciprocated. There were many times where that relationship didn't last longer than a date or two, but I don't consider it to have been wasted.

You most certainly can have those things while "hanging out." Just don't expect to get the same results "hanging out" as you do dating.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Good manners, grace, and dignity are all good personal characteristics to have in any society...I think these "rules" he's referring to are gender expectations and things like "how many dates to should I do this and that" or "don't call him/her in x amount of hours/minutes/days," etc.
Those aren't "rules" that's playing games and grownups don't play games.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is too ridiculous to even know what to argue.

So you have female friends who tell you every little detail about their personal life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships