Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times

Advertisements

Usual disclaimer, forgive if this ends up being a duplicate. I caught the tail end of a classic show. A guy was up for a big promotion at work. His boss kept emphasizing wanting to meet his new wife and he remarked at one point that a man's wife can have a real impact on his movement up the ladder.

The guy's wife was an ill-mannered, greedy, deceitful hussy type and knew about the promotion. She made the statement that as long as she's his wife, he'll never have a career because at some point, he'll have to introduce her to people and they'll see what kind of wife he really has and she knows he's terrified of how that'll reflect on him so whatever, she tells him to give her money or she won't divorce him.

Anyway, it was a time when the type of person you were married to was given great consideration in your worthiness for certain opportunities or your regard as a whole and in many ways, who you're with (and if you're with anyone at all) still matters to society as far as how high you climb and in what circles.

It made me curious. Have you ever felt like the person you were with made a statement about who you are? Did you ever break up with someone because you felt they reflected poorly on you or had a negative impact on your career or other opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Usual disclaimer, forgive if this ends up being a duplicate. I caught the tail end of a classic show. A guy was up for a big promotion at work. His boss kept emphasizing wanting to meet his new wife and he remarked at one point that a man's wife can have a real impact on his movement up the ladder.

The guy's wife was an ill-mannered, greedy, deceitful hussy type and knew about the promotion. She made the statement that as long as she's his wife, he'll never have a career because at some point, he'll have to introduce her to people and they'll see what kind of wife he really has and she knows he's terrified of how that'll reflect on him so whatever, she tells him to give her money or she won't divorce him.

Anyway, it was a time when the type of person you were married to was given great consideration in your worthiness for certain opportunities or your regard as a whole and in many ways, who you're with (and if you're with anyone at all) still matters to society as far as how high you climb and in what circles.

It made me curious. Have you ever felt like the person you were with made a statement about who you are? Did you ever break up with someone because you felt they reflected poorly on you or had a negative impact on your career or other opportunities?
This should be an interesting thread

I absolutely think that your 'mate' shows the type of person you are, and how you feel about yourself. My ex was a jerk and it just showed I had no self respect and I had very low self esteem at the time so he definitely reflected poorly on me.

I'm meeting my guy's boss next week and he's super excited about it because his boss is visiting from another country and I happen to speak that country's language fluently and he thinks it will reflect well with him. So far, all of my interactions with his friends and coworkers have gone extremely well and it's amazing how differently I'm being treated by being part of a 'couple' instead of just being myself. It's almost as if people assume I'm somehow better or more relevant because I've been 'picked' by a man.

Regardless, I have met coworkers partners and thought 'wow... this person must be an IDIOT if they chose her/him' so I definitely think your choice of partner does reflect on you at least a little bit.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post

I have not, personally. However I absolutely agree that the people you surround yourself with, including your spouse, impact how others see you.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 AM

167 posts, read 164,114 times
I don't think I've ever felt that way during a relationship. Looking back however, I am trying to think what it did show of me. Mostly negative things.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Totally agree. And my wife is AWESOME! what does that say about me?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
I agree with this. I also think our choice in friends reflects who we are as well.

I believe there is a proverb in the Bible about telling a lot about a man by the company he keeps, so it's definitely something about character/human nature that has been around for a long time.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
This is an old, unfortunate aphorism, but it does say something about decision-making.

It was discussed in the movie "Moneyball." One local coach got in trouble for admitting he judges people that way:

Y! SPORTS

Old 09-19-2013, 07:11 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is an old, unfortunate aphorism, but it does say something about decision-making.

It was discussed in the movie "Moneyball." One local coach got in trouble for admitting he judges people that way:

Y! SPORTS
Humans judge people that way. It's perfectly normal, and frankly it makes a lot of sense.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Ha! Yes, it's true about the company you keep, an old adage.

Hmm. I just thought about the show example and how often I've seen this remarked in classics about wives more than husbands if it could relate a little to the thoughts of there being a good woman behind every good man, the theme that the woman in a man's life is his moral compass, keeping him grounded, and the notion that the woman inevitably has the last word.

It's an idea that goes all the way back to the Adam and Eve story lol I wonder then, at least as far as career and positions of power and influence go, if what kind of wife you have would be given more consideration than what kind of husband? Outside of that, it seems pretty equal about how people are judged or valued based on their mates (or even just because they have one lol).

Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,525 times
I agree, how your spouse acts in public has a huge effect on being invited to furture events. When they behave socially unacceptable you don't get invited places and people choose not to come your events as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships