Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
I agree. I think the right person is going to understand where she's coming from and that's the person she wants. I certainly do and not to get too religious on you guys as I believe a lot of the Catholic seriousness about marriage is cultural as much as anything else.

Who cares what anybody thinks? In fact, being the contrarian that I am I like people who are willing to go against the grain and think out of the box. Nothing repulses me more than lemmings.

Like I said, everybody has a story. For a good number of people, that is correct. I would still say the majority have either some kind of undesirable personality trait, drug or gambling problem, infidelity, or were just plain unserious about marriage. The only way to find out is to get to know the person.

I put my wife, family, and MY kids first. My heart and my wallet don't have any room for anybody else's kids. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

And if I never find someone and don't fall madly in love again because I'm not willing to accept an instant family into my life, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have my nephew and niece inherit all my stuff than someone else's kids.
I have a niece and in the event I was to die without having kids I want her to inherit my stuff. I do not want it to go to people who are not blood relatives no matter what. Simply put I don't want an instant family either because I don't want the negative aspects of it and sorry but there isn't much positive about a childless marrying a parent unless the other spouse is dead or out of the picture. Almost everyone I know who married a parent regrets doing so and these are almost always the ones who tell me to avoid them. The ones who get the maddest about this are the parents who think I am judging them for their mistakes. The fact is while some did divorce for legit reasons others only ruined the kids then expect the childless person to pick up the slack. Yes that sounds cruel but it's a reality I have seen where the parent really only married the new person either financial or other reasons like having a babysitter.

Since I take marriage extremely serious I would be very leery about dating someone who was previously married even if there were no kids. Someone who say married in a courthouse or Vegas when they were 21 and realized it was a mistake would make sense. Someone who divorced in other examples would send red flags, like someone married 10 years then got a divorce. Why? I have dated divorced guys (some with kids, some without)and I can honestly see why they got divorced. One guy was obsessed with weight, another was one who got bored with marriage (and was married 5 times) and another was abusive. I have rarely encountered men who were divorced where it wasn't their fault. By this I mean either both were to blame or it was them (like they cheated or were abusive). Maybe it's the men I have met (incidentally none of them were from online)but I have rarely encountered a divorce situation where it's just one person.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,477,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
For fun I am a teacher of religious education at church
Slow down there cowby. Don't hog all the fun, save some for the rest of us.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM

333 posts, read 310,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Slow down there cowby. Don't hog all the fun, save some for the rest of us.
LOL. I haven't been here long enough to know what people are really like, but going back again to what another poster said, a girl who is a Sunday School teacher would be a plus where I'm coming from.

The point I'm trying to make is, just be yourself with these things.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
LOL. I haven't been here long enough to know what people are really like, but going back again to what another poster said, a girl who is a Sunday School teacher would be a plus where I'm coming from.

The point I'm trying to make is, just be yourself with these things.
I'm not sure how everyone feels about that.

I used to be a Sunday School teacher and most of the time, I don't think it made a difference one way or the other.....

Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I'm not sure how everyone feels about that.

I used to be a Sunday School teacher and most of the time, I don't think it made a difference one way or the other.....
I agree it's not a "must have". But from my perspective, if finding a religious girl is important to you, mentioning you're a Sunday School Teacher helps reinforce this message, because I'm certainly going to think this one is more likely to take this stuff seriously if she devotes that kind of time and effort. And if you are someone who teaches Sunday School, do you really want to be with someone who is turned off by that?

Be real. It's the best way.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
I agree it's not a "must have". But from my perspective, if finding a religious girl is important to you, mentioning you're a Sunday School Teacher helps reinforce this message. I'm certainly going to think this one is more likely to take this stuff seriously if she devotes that kind of time and effort. And if you are someone who teaches Sunday School, do you really want to be with someone who is turned off by that?

Be real. It's the best way.
What if you are attracted to this and then find out the religious, devout Sunday School teacher wasn't completely honest in other areas of her profile-like say her age, or her pictures were way outdated? I'm citing these because they are the biggest areas people online take creative liberties with. Well other than the alleged 1/3 of online dating site users who forgot they already have a spouse, that is.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
What if you are attracted to this and then find out the religious, devout Sunday School teacher wasn't completely honest in other areas of her profile-like say her age, or her pictures were way outdated? I'm citing these because they are the biggest areas people online take creative liberties with. Well other than the alleged 1/3 of online dating site users who forgot they already have a spouse, that is.
This is true, I think lying about ones age is a big deal. Well, I have a problem with lying about anything, but thats just me.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
LOL - Yeah, those are issues that do make me wonder. I am a pretty above average cybersleuth. I've already found a twice-divorced 51 year old who shaved 5 years from her age, and another one who shaved 10. Both "46", by the way. Based on my cybersleuthing, lots of people on these sites have been divorced multiple times. Once I might be able to swallow if I liked you enough and you had a good reason. Two or more? See ya.

Here's an easy way that works about 20% of the time. Google search on the picture and match up what you find on sites like "usa-people-search" . If you are also handy with public records, especially deeds, you can track down former spouses and whatnot depending on what's available online.

Lots of people out there are a mess. It pays to be careful.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
LOL - Yeah, those are issues that do make me wonder. I am a pretty above average cybersleuth. I've already found a twice-divorced 51 year old who shaved 5 years from her age, and another one who shaved 10. Both "46", by the way. Based on my cybersleuthing, lots of people on these sites have been divorced multiple times. Once I might be able to swallow if I liked you enough and you had a good reason. Two or more? See ya.

Here's an easy way that works about 20% of the time. Google search on the picture and match up what you find on sites like "usa-people-search" . If you are also handy with public records, especially deeds, you can track down former spouses and whatnot depending on what's available online.

Lots of people out there are a mess. It pays to be careful.
I have lied about my age on these sites but on this profile I haven't,and the others I put my real age. I'm not justifying why I did it, but when one has men the same age as me rejecting me for it upset me. However, I have found some interesting things from Googling people online and several men I found out were married. One guy claimed to be never married and was married several times. I too might be able to bend on the previously married on certain reasons (like he married young in a courthouse or something like that)but married several times? no way.

Interestingly, I Googled the man I really like and found out a lot about him, like the fact he has pretty much lived with his mother after leaving the army. I found out a few things about his family too. I didn't mention any of this to him but eventually he brought it up to me in conversation.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM

I probably shouldn't tell this story, but I will. After my Match membership expired six months ago, I get a wink from someone I had emailed before - a teacher. I had an inkling this was someone from Match trying to "cold call", if you will, but you always give it the benefit of the doubt because when I wrote my email she might not have been a member. So I winked back. I get another wink back. I wink a second time ... match tells me "ERRRRRR" ... can't do that, you already winked.

I knew something was up (how come I get to give her only one wink and she gets to give me two) and that it was probably initiated from Match in order to squeeze more money out of me. So I found her picture online, found out where she works and emailed her. I know what you're going to say --- STALKER!!!

I told the story to the women from the office and they laughed at me, but I didn't care - I wasn't going to let match jerk me around.

No success with that, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships