Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And your parents are complete dweebs for suggesting such a thing.
It almost makes me wonder why his parents are still together. Didn't his dad lose interest in his mom physically after his mom went through menopause? Or hasn't "mom" hist that phase yet? Maybe the OP should ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
And you should be saving your money as well, life isn't about having fun.
If life isnt about having fun then what's it for?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
If life isnt about having fun then what's it for?
It's about being serious, boring and walking about with a stick up your ass of course

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM

44 posts, read 74,404 times
dated a woman 12 years older than me for 2 years. good times.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 AM

345 posts, read 1,031,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
jesus christ, the problems people create for themselves
Meaning a problem that's only a problem in one's head?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico90 View Post
Thank you everyone for all of your support. This situation has been making me incredibly anxious due to my own insecurities, and it really helps to hear the unbiased opinions of others.

I am at a point in my life where I am actively seeking a long term relationship and a partner whom I can marry and love forever. I think the main reason why I am anxious about this situation is because of the opinions that my parents have. Every time I am with her, my concerns just fade away. I have always seen her as my innocent little girl, and perhaps that's because of how "immature" she is at her age, and the fact that she lost her virginity with me. We just "click" and have an incredible emotional, and physical connection.

I only start to doubt my situation with her, however, when I hear what my family has to say. They put doubt in my mind, and I sometimes wonder if it has any truth. For instance, my parents are highly concerned with me not being interested in her physically when she hits 50 (age of menopause) and I am a 44 year old man. They think that, because of this age difference, this relationship can only be temporary... But is 6 years truly that significant? Maybe it's because of how immature she is, or because she lost her virginity to me, I keep on thinking that our age difference is minimal, and therefore won't have any consequences, physically, or emotionally.

Also, to clarify, we are both graduate students and have a promising future career wise.

I truly love this absolutely beautiful woman, but sometimes I worry that age isn't just a number sometimes...I would hate to be wasting my time, and especially hers. I just don't know if my concerns are valid...
It's a shame that your parents are not supportive of your relationship. They are doing you a big disservice. It is not that easy to find someone that you click with and enjoy being with, and desire a future with.
I am 12 years older than my husband. We began dating when he was 21. He also was very mature for his age, and was someone who had goals and plans for his life. I wouldn't say that at 33 I was less mature than he was, but I was content to live day to day and have fun. (thus the dating a 21 year old!)
His parents were never an issue, and he was and is very close to his parents. We fell in love, got married, had 3 beautiful children, and have been together 23 years. I, obviously have passed 50, and there is no less attraction to me on the part of my husband. Being in love causes a person to be able to see past societies views of dimminishing beauty. If you are in a relationship FOR THE RIGHT REASONS, your love matures with the two of you and it deepens.
6 years is not a significant difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships