Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times

Advertisements

The consensus seems to be that you have relaxed your standards too much .. in regards to yourself. No need to relax your dating standards, just hold yourself to a higher fitness standard and give it a few months before you're in good enough shape to date 8s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,963,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
I don't think you guys might completely understand where I'm coming from. I'm not looking for the Size 4's, but I think the 8's or 10's might be attainable. But I'm getting the 14's online.

Am I still being unrealistic?
IMO, a guy has to REALLY have his stuff together to be successful at online dating. I' talking nice car, own your home, be attractive, have really good income. Money in the bank doesn't hurt.
For guys, there is so much competition in online dating. There are millions of guys with medium build, good job, weigh 200 lbs, etc. There a lot of guys that are all that, fit, and more.

I wouldn't call you fat, but 5'10" and 21X lbs is not close to fit. You are approximately 40 lbs over ideal weight, unless you have muscle mass.
So then, it's quite easy. You 'should' accept a woman who is 40 lbs over her ideal weight if you accepted the body type that you have.
Is a woman 40 lbs overweight a size 14 ? I dont know. But if you aren't getting attention from the women you are interested in, then YOU HAVE TO CHANGE.
Personally, I think you suffer from the same plague that affects most americans, if not the world. We all over-inflate our own value or worth. If the 5's of the world realized they would be happy chasing each other, they would deal with much less rejection. But then, we all want maximum value, so fives chase 8's, 9's, when they should be chasing 5's and 6's.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
You know, I honestly don't have a problem with someone being attracted to someone who is, well, "out of their league" for lack of a better way of phrasing it. I dated guys of all shapes and sizes and I was attracted to all of them because of who they were. But I would have a problem with people being insulting or demeaning to others - as in calling people "fatties." Especially when it deals with something that they struggle with themselves.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
IMO, a guy has to REALLY have his stuff together to be successful at online dating. I' talking nice car, own your home, be attractive, have really good income. Money in the bank doesn't hurt.
For guys, there is so much competition in online dating. There are millions of guys with medium build, good job, weigh 200 lbs, etc. There a lot of guys that are all that, fit, and more.

I wouldn't call you fat, but 5'10" and 21X lbs is not close to fit. You are approximately 40 lbs over ideal weight, unless you have muscle mass.
So then, it's quite easy. You 'should' accept a woman who is 40 lbs over her ideal weight if you accepted the body type that you have.
Is a woman 40 lbs overweight a size 14 ? I dont know. But if you aren't getting attention from the women you are interested in, then YOU HAVE TO CHANGE.
Personally, I think you suffer from the same plague that affects most americans, if not the world. We all over-inflate our own value or worth. If the 5's of the world realized they would be happy chasing each other, they would deal with much less rejection. But then, we all want maximum value, so fives chase 8's, 9's, when they should be chasing 5's and 6's.
A woman who is 40lbs overweight would not be a size 14. She would wear a much larger size.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM

350 posts, read 384,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

LOL ... I have some or all of those attributes above ... except car. It was nice low level lux car 11 years ago when I bought it new, but now I see no reason to spend money while it still runs. (Cars depreciate in value. Bad use of money, plus I love my Bose stereo.) If we define "average" as being 5 or 6, I am/was realistically a 7 traditionally. I think that's considered slightly above average, maybe a little bit more territory. Now in middle age, who knows?

I do get interest in real life settings, so I don't think I'm as bad as you guys say. I also concede I have seen better days and not close to fit.

I bike over 100 miles a week in the summer, and I keep my calorie count to around 2,000 a day. P90 is definitely starting.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
Do not go with this diet. There are plenty of sharks in the sea, especially this one. The proper diet is available at your local grocery market. With that and proper exercise you don't need any of this expensive gimmicks.
I wouldn't say I know everything about diet, but I know that any "diet" is doomed to failure long term. The name of the game is to eat healthy each and every day.

I think you guys just gave me enough focus to drop bread again, though. And I'm not one of those Atkins people. I just watch how the scale reacts with and without bread. Without bread, the combination of water weight and protein's fat burning abilities kicks in. With bread, it's easy to plateau and hard to move the needle on the scale.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM

65 posts, read 75,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
I wouldn't say I know everything about diet, but I know that any "diet" is doomed to failure long term. The name of the game is to eat healthy each and every day.

I think you guys just gave me enough focus to drop bread again, though. And I'm not one of those Atkins people. I just watch how the scale reacts with and without bread. Without bread, the combination of water weight and protein's fat burning abilities kicks in. With bread, it's easy to plateau and hard to move the needle on the scale.
But please don't drop carbohydrates. I bring in 140 - 150 grams of carbs a day. For the exercise a do, a lot of nutritionists would consider that low. Bread is good for you, what you should cut out are certain breads. Pay attention to portions. When people eat pasta they often don't realize that the serving size is for 2 0z. Then they pile on a massive plate. You need a proportionate amount of intake in order for the body to enter break down cycles appropriately.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx

^ play with this.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
But please don't drop carbohydrates. I bring in 140 - 150 grams of carbs a day. For the exercise a do, a lot of nutritionists would consider that low. Bread is good for you, what you should cut out are certain breads. Pay attention to portions. When people eat pasta they often don't realize that the serving size is for 2 0z. Then they pile on a massive plate. You need a proportionate amount of intake in order for the body to enter break down cycles appropriately.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx

^ play with this.
I agree. From what I know, the name of the game is good carbs versus bad carbs. Generally speaking fruits and veggies and stuff like that are good carbs and eating them is no problem. Breads, pastries and the yummy stuff are the bad carbs, and that's what you have to watch.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The consensus seems to be that you have relaxed your standards too much .. in regards to yourself. No need to relax your dating standards, just hold yourself to a higher fitness standard and give it a few months before you're in good enough shape to date 8s.
LOL - that is an issue in middle age, I have to agree. We often remember what we were like and think we should get the same. Too bad there isn't a "formerly cute, but might need some improvement/restoration work" category on these internet sites.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Folks, we got away from the original topic with the discussion about various weight loss systems. This isn't the Health & Wellness forum. Please address the original post and stay on topic. Thanks!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships