Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,284,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
I never implied otherwise, especially since I don't know you personally and making accusations toward you would make no sense.

I must say, that age spread between you and him doesn't sound favorable for you, but I'm not judging as I mentioned before, I don't know you or him personally. Exceptions can and do happen.

My comments are related to general trends, not exceptions though. So far, you haven't actually addressed the points I made except to take them as a personal attack, which they aren't.
The thing is...

It's hard to look at relationships where there's any degree of age disparity and say that age alone was always the problem if the relationship didn't succeed. Or the reason why the relationship was ultimately more desirable than another relationship in the first place.

People speak of relationships where there is an age difference as if they are incredibly bizarre and doomed to failure without considering the percentage of relationships that fail where ages are similar. Which isn't exactly a low percentage.

You say there are exceptions, but I think there are really just people. All sorts of different people.

My parents divorced when I was 7. My dad was 3 years older than my mom. They had 2 kids together. They simply "grew apart." Their interests were no longer similar.

My mom remarried, a couple of times, actually. Neither marriage lasted longer than a few years. But, not because of their age differences.

In 1991, she married a guy who is nearly 10 years younger than her. She was 45 when she married him. He was 36.

They're still married.

Point being? They just get along. He's tall, thin, nice-looking. Always has been. He never wanted kids. He only dated women who were right around his age or younger before he met my mom.

Women who are older that get serious about guys who want kids when they are past childbearing ability might be setting themselves up for disappointment, but other than that, unless an age difference is very dramatic (over 20-25 years) and/or it's only about sex, I cannot see why people put such a heavy emphasis on age.

Especially with regard to older women and younger men. People don't get nearly so baffled by younger women and older men.

I suspect this is because men really do believe they attract young women solely due to their manly prowess and charm.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I suspect this is because men really do believe they attract young women solely due to their manly prowess and charm.
Or the money they have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM

957 posts, read 1,061,062 times
I'm not interested in dating older women, but the older women I do know from work and my social circle do seem to be a lot more laid back and fun loving. Way less intimidating and not nearly as defensive as younger women, I can see why it might have an appeal to younger men. If they are still attractive and enjoy doing fun things I don't see why not.

Personally, I like women my own age. As a blanket statement.. Anyone under 24 seems borderline retarded, and anyone over 35 just seems to be in a different wavelength. But you have to look at each case individually!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,733,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
You need to look at this from both sides as this is an "exchange." Hooking, meaning the sex tends to be very favorable and more leeway is given to satisfy you. It's more straight forward, as they know what men like and they give it freely. Versus the hoops and irritations one tends to encounter when dealing with younger, more attractive women.

This isn't a criticism, far from it, just observations from a guy who's been around the block a few times. "Game" doesn't really have a hard definition, it's really just a series of behaviors we all engage in to gain benefits in life. I was a late bloomer and when I hit my 30s I began getting attention from women of what seemed like all ages. My value had skyrocketed, relatively speaking. I'll never experience what an attractive woman faces in her prime, but I'm a lot closer than I ever was earlier in life.

This isn't meant to be taken as a personal account of you specifically, it's just a general trend.

I'm also aware that certain truths are very uncomfortable, but filtering my opinions to be politically correct would make the discussion pointless.
I see your point. As long as you see my point that desperate older women are in the minority. This is about what they bring to the table...they have their own money/means and do not need yours, may even share theirs with you...life experience, freedom from sexual inhibitions. They honestly like men. They can accept a session in bed for what it is: a chance to bond with a man and experience pleasure. They can be infinitely more practical and mature about relationships and sex than a woman who has yet to experience childbirth, marriage and all that goes with that. Quite a few are keeping their bodies tight and toned and their outlooks relevant and up-to-date. Not to say that what I've described will be every younger man's cup of tea, but trust and believe that SOME will be intrigued. Men who want to start a family and mate for life, may not be attracted to an older woman, and that is okay too. All I'm asking is that men not hate what they don't understand or have never tried.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,019 times
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I can tell you that a major factor is the desire NOT to have kids. With an older woman, you don't feel pressure to hurry up and start a family. Many older women have already been married and, unlike a lot of younger women, aren't in a rush to do it again. What's also true is that someone over 40 has most likely paid off any student loans they were carrying. So you don't have to worry about the other person needing financial assistance from you. An older woman may have kids, but they're probably older and may even be on their own. Dating someone with kids is never easy, but it's a lot harder when those kids are still really young.

As a single male who's almost 40 and doesn't want kids, I find that if I limit myself to women in their 30s and exclude all the women who want kids, have small children, or still have a lot debt, my options become pretty limited. So it isn't always about looking for a sugar momma or thinking older women are easy. A lot of times, it's simply because the two people are on the same page about what they want and don't want in a relationship.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,632,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridol2005 View Post
I just dont get why very young men are interested in dating women who are in their 40s and 50s. Can you guys explain it please.
Young men? How young are we talking about?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,194,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
They no doubt think of you the same way, so I guess everyone is getting what they want.
A man's sex is no accomplishment. His unwavering commitment is. This is the hard truth.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,186,142 times
Lol the question is flawed.
Actually it should be, why should a financially independent, smart, charismatic, good looking woman
who has a lot to offer- be with a younger guy?
Half the time the answer is sex-
but that doesn't impress me.....
I gotta say the middle aged guys
(mid 30's to 50 ish)
are much more attentive in that department

Last edited by believe007; 04-25-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,148,390 times
My thoughts:

It’s taboo.
They should know how to cook.
Older women might be interested into the really dirty stuff.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
Older women will teach you things you've never even considered before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships