Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
They're not too busy; they're just trying to inflate their own egos (and others' perception of how 'important' they are), in addition to having a pre-made excuse for blowing people they're not interested in.
I'm assuming you mean giving them the brush off...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm assuming you mean giving them the brush off...

Thanks. Changed to blowing off; big difference, haha!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I think a lot of people go online thinking they want a relationship but not really wanting to make the effort to have one. They are looking for an easy fix and saying they are busy (in some cases, because they all probably have different reasons for saying they are) is a heads up that they don't want to invest a lot of time and effort in developing relationship. Maybe they just want to hang out and hope they really click with someone effortlessly.
This is true. I've been chatting with two girls like this now. Never fall for the just looking for friends tagline. That statement just means they can get the best of both worlds. They can spend as much time as they want with people, until they find the person they want to settle down with and pursue something with.

I've went out with one particular girl who truly just wants to be friends with me, and that's ok with me, but at the same time, I feel all we ever do as friends is eat and catch up with each other to dance on the weekends. It's not all that fulfilling, but I'm open to the experience of hanging out. She's good company and I like to dance.

They want to control their destiny of what they want to do and they want to experience as many different people as possible.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I have seen this too many times on profiles.

If you're that busy, why are you "looking" for a relationship?

Is "being busy" some sort of a status symbol?
Exactly!

And why would anybody want to get involved with someone who has little to no time for them?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Agreed, if you're so busy, why bother trying to date??

I do realize that a lot of people do actually have busy lives, but I also think that sometimes peoples ego's get in the way and it can be a form of bragging....... IDK... hard to explain it really....
I suppose it can be, but for me, I have a HUGE family, and that means I have family events pretty much every weekend and often during the week. I work full time, and often have to work late. I go to the gym after work most nights that I can. I have a house and a yard to keep up, and I am the only sibling here to look after my parents, so I try and get over there once a week as well. Bragging? Hardly. It's just my life. I'd love to have more time. This is exactly why I don't (and won't) have a pet. I'm not home enough to care for it. Weekends are "dating time" for me, but I'd rather it not be all weekend, since that is the only time I have to tend to my parents/family/home/car/yard. My BF however, has different ideas. It's definitely one of our most difficult differences to deal with.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I have seen this too many times on profiles.

If you're that busy, why are you "looking" for a relationship?

Is "being busy" some sort of a status symbol?

i more or less wasted 5 months talking with a girl well woman she was in her 30s with no kids who was constantly out with her friends, staying in with family / friends, or doing something with her roommate. she NEVER was free to go out but once (we went out in september and then talked for another 4 months. took us a month just to go out once). i'd ask her every week what her weekend looked like and you guessed it..."i have _____________ going on or ______________ is coming into town or i'm headed out of town to _____________ for ________________". i finally stopped talking to her and she acted surprised when i told her it didn't seem like we were going anywhere. she then had the gumption to tell me we hadn't gone out a second time b/c I was always busy. ME?! always busy!!!! i'm the one pursuing and shes the one who always had her schedule filled. i found out from her roommate later on that she had a serious bf prior and it ended pretty bad so much so that she pretty much stayed busy as an excuse not to date more or less.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Being busy (with a full life) is a good way to weed out people who don't have anything to do, and are looking for you to create an "instant" life with you if you will. I have been on a few dates with people like this.

They start hinting with stuff like "that sounds really fun. It sounds like you have lots of friends....I can't wait to meet them and join you in those outings." In the first 10 minutes of meeting.

I always find, I don't get along with people that don't stay "busy." They end up being too clingy for me.

I don't think not being "busy" equates to clingy. don't get me wrong it could / can but in my case i'm not always "busy" and do have a lot of down time especially on weekends. i'm not clingy since i actually enjoy my alone time to sit out on my patio and chill for a night by myself. some girls would assume id be clingy since i'm not out doing something every waking minute of the day. they'd be wrong. not being busy gives me free time away from you to retain my sanity :-). ever think of that girls?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
i more or less wasted 5 months talking with a girl well woman she was in her 30s with no kids who was constantly out with her friends, staying in with family / friends, or doing something with her roommate. she NEVER was free to go out but once (we went out in september and then talked for another 4 months. took us a month just to go out once). i'd ask her every week what her weekend looked like and you guessed it..."i have _____________ going on or ______________ is coming into town or i'm headed out of town to _____________ for ________________". i finally stopped talking to her and she acted surprised when i told her it didn't seem like we were going anywhere. she then had the gumption to tell me we hadn't gone out a second time b/c I was always busy. ME?! always busy!!!! i'm the one pursuing and shes the one who always had her schedule filled. i found out from her roommate later on that she had a serious bf prior and it ended pretty bad so much so that she pretty much stayed busy as an excuse not to date more or less.
Lesson learned for you. You sound like her backup who she dumps all her problems on, and lead on.

If she isn't willing to meet in two weeks, I'm out.

I was talking to this one woman, and she told me she is busy all the time with work and her hobby (stand up comedy). I said "so I have to make an appointment a month away?" She replied "It sounds terrible, but yes."

Me: You don't have time to date, and I wish you luck.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
For me, if I see someone state they're 'busy' to me it just means that they're embarrassed that they have to have an online dating profile and that's their excuse. That they're too 'busy' to meet people in real life so they were forced to start online dating.

It could also mean they're into dating as many people as they can and then they can use 'sorry, I'm soooo busy' as an excuse when they're out with someone else and can't meet with you.

Or maybe they're busy. but I've never met a person who was 'too busy' for someone they really liked.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times
Well I really am that busy. But if i find someone worth it, I'll make time. I actually disabled my account though because I just didnt have the time and didnt think itd be fair. So chances are those people really arent that busy. Just dont want to make themselves look desperate i guess

And nah, its not a status thing. I wish i wasnt that busy but thats just my lifestyle.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 03-10-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships