Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimeofAncientMariner View Post
That's a stupid comparison. 165 LBs for a woman is overweight (bordering on obese if shorter height). 85K for a man is still very successful and in the top 20% of men in this country
A man making $85k is not necessarily a "catch" if the woman makes the same or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Let's do a quick thought exercise. Here are the parameters:

We have a single woman considering two profiles online. She has met neither person yet, but finds both of them to be equally attractive. Both seem like equally good prospects for our hypothetical single woman. Their profiles are identical, they list the same interests, their short write ups in their "about me" section are strikingly similar.

There is just one difference: One makes $85,000 while the other makes $250,000. As Friday Night nears, both ask her to meet for the first time, and she can only pick one of them. Now remember, the income disparity is the ONLY discriminator between the two at this point.

Is she a gold digger if she chooses to meet the guy with the higher income?
No, not necessarily. The woman could be earning 200k on her own and she is simply looking for an equal partner, or the woman could be aiming to find a man who makes an upper middle class income because that makes her feel safer.

A woman who likes to be around men with money versus a woman who scams men into spending money on them is two different things; the later is a golddigger. There are women who marry men with money but don't take advantage of spending all the guys money. The money makes these women feel safe because they know their man can buy safety (i.e., live in gated community) and can take care of an emergency. Money or muscles makes women feel safe..........

Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM

96 posts, read 81,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A man making $85k is not necessarily a "catch" if the woman makes the same or more.
I think it's about 1% of women who make more than a 100K

Regardless of the fact, 85K is an excellent income everywhere in this country outside of a few big cities like NY, Miami, California and a few other places

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
No, not necessarily. The woman could be earning 200k on her own and she is simply looking for an equal partner, or the woman could be aiming to find a man who makes an upper middle class income because that makes her feel safer.

A woman who likes to be around men with money versus a woman who scams men into spending money on them is two different things; the later is a golddigger. There are women who marry men with money but don't take advantage of spending all the guys money. The money makes these women feel safe because they know their man can buy safety (i.e., live in gated community) and can take care of an emergency. Money or muscles makes women feel safe..........

Percent of women making 200K is like 0.001%. 250K is upper middle class?

You realize the average person in this country makes 37K right? 250K is easily top 1%. Hell 85K is bordering on upper class

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

But let's say that she is making just $30,000? Do you think the formula is still valid? Assume all the other factors we've discussed remain constant.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I don't think how much money she makes versus how much money he makes matters. The only thing that matters are her intentions. A woman can enjoy having a rich husband or boyfriend with out being a gold digger. It might be the cherry on top of a wonderful relationship. A gold digger is someone that is with someone only for their money. They do their best to get their hands on as much of a man's money as possible. For all the fear about gold diggers out there - I have a feeling that there really aren't that many.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think how much money she makes versus how much money he makes matters. The only thing that matters are her intentions. A woman can enjoy having a rich husband or boyfriend with out being a gold digger. It might be the cherry on top of a wonderful relationship. A gold digger is someone that is with someone only for their money. They do their best to get their hands on as much of a man's money as possible. For all the fear about gold diggers out there - I have a feeling that there really aren't that many.
Or at a minimum, they are easy to spot and therefore avoid.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimeofAncientMariner View Post
I think it's about 1% of women who make more than a 100K

Regardless of the fact, 85K is an excellent income everywhere in this country outside of a few big cities like NY, Miami, California and a few other places

Percent of women making 200K is like 0.001%. 250K is upper middle class?

You realize the average person in this country makes 37K right? 250K is easily top 1%. Hell 85K is bordering on upper class
LOL, you need to get outside of the mid-west.... I make more than 85k and I live a very modest lifestyle....

No kids... no car payment... nothing extravagant....

I ain't rich by a long shot...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But let's say that she is making just $30,000? Do you think the formula is still valid? Assume all the other factors we've discussed remain constant.
Why is it not acceptable for any woman making $30k a year to select a man earning $250k per year over a guy who makes only $32k? All things being equal (personality, looks, the way he treats her, etc) that woman most likely would not be acting in her own best interest (and that of her future children) to select the man who only earns $32k.

Again, no one chides men for choosing to select more physically attractive women over the unattractive plain janes. So why should women be obligated to select less desireable men?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why is it not acceptable for any woman making $30k a year to select a man earning $250k per year over a guy who makes only $32k? All things being equal (personality, looks, the way he treats her, etc) that woman most likely would not be acting in her own best interest (and that of her future children) to select the man who only earns $32k.

Again, no one chides men for choosing to select more physically attractive women over the unattractive plain janes. So why should women be obligated to select less desireable men?
You're preaching to the choir, here, my friend. And it seems that most who have chimed in on this thread would agree as well. I did expect a few (nobody in particular) to voice the opposite opinion as well, considering some of the previous discussions we've had around here.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM

96 posts, read 81,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, you need to get outside of the mid-west.... I make more than 85k and I live a very modest lifestyle....

No kids... no car payment... nothing extravagant....

I ain't rich by a long shot...

Look up the average income in this country and tell me what it is (hint- it's not even 40k). You probably just live in an area where the cost of living is outrageously high. 85K where I live gets you a 2,500-3,000 square foot home, a nice car and a comfortable lifestyle

Saying 250K is "upper middle class" when not even 2% of people earn 250K is just absurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships