Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Keeping the lights on and taking a vaca once a yr isn't unambitious, it just is........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
Being unambitious has nothing to do with the job position or the amount of income the person is earning at his or her job. There are many people who make very good money that are also lazy and unambitious. And many people start out with lower-paying jobs and work their way up and contribute new ideas that help foster growth...and have passions outside of work.

Lack of ambition has more to do with being content with the status quo, having no direction in life, not energetic, no goals, having no passion or drive about anything, not challenging oneself, unadventurous, unwilling to step outside your comfort zone, not exploring new ideas. In other words, satisfied with merely existing in whatever his current life is, and uninterested in anything more.

I don't think "loser" is what comes to mind for most people when they notice someone like this. It's more likely they'd find the person boring.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The term loser in general is only applied to men. It's rare for people to use that term on females
There seems to be some terms used in one gender but not the other one. Guys that are broke can be called "losers" but not women as that may not necessarily be something that men place importance on when it comes to relationships, hooking up, etc. So a woman who happens to be broke is just a woman who is broke. There has to be expressions only used on women I am sure.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
To me, a "loser" is someone who won't engage their brain sufficiently to figure life out. They just float, always puzzled about why they have so much "bad luck", never realizing that what they think is bad luck is just them not taking care of business or getting a grip on their life.

Money has very little to do with it. A person who does valuable volunteer work and is living on crumbs, does not meet my definition of a loser. If a person earns peanuts while living in Africa and training and supervising Peace Corp volunteers, that person is not a loser. They have a passion and they work hard. They simply have a passion that doesn't pay them much for their hard work.

Why would I not date a loser? Because I don't want to spend my life taking care of him and suffering misfortune because he neglects the details of life.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Not having ambition and having a low paying job is not the same thing.

Anyone who isn't ambitious about anything in life-legitimately has issues.
The problem is ambition is tied to $$$. Plenty of people are ambitious to travel the world or paint or whatever. They most likely won't ever make money doing that but they are doing what they love and enjoying life. In my mind they are the biggest winners out ther ebut society will deem them losers because they don't value a nice car.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,604 times
because men are still typically seen as the breadwinner, provider, chief-wager in the household, family.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
The problem is ambition is tied to $$$. Plenty of people are ambitious to travel the world or paint or whatever. They most likely won't ever make money doing that but they are doing what they love and enjoying life. In my mind they are the biggest winners out ther ebut society will deem them losers because they don't value a nice car.

Wow, maybe this is regional, but I don't know anyone that considers people engaging in art, even broke ones, losers. They're generally called cool.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:50 PM

323 posts, read 308,371 times
Does it matter so much why? It just IS. That's the way it is, and that's the way it shall remain.

Best thing to do is walk away. Refuse to play the game. Do what you want, when you want, how you want, and give no f*(k$ what anyone else thinks about it. Stress goes down, happiness goes up.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM

249 posts, read 312,519 times
Because they're not retarded enough to join on in, into the rat-race, thinking it will make them happy.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 PM

316 posts, read 437,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
I've seen a trend recently where men in low paying jobs are called deadbeats or losers as if his only worth is tied into having a nice job. Why should a man be automatically presumed a loser if he is making $40K/year? Why is there a double standard where a woman will never be called a loser for being underemployed?
Because dating in America is nothing more than creative prostitution these days. Money is the miraculous equalizer for men. You can be a fat pig packing 3 inches in your drawers, but if you've got a seven figure bank account, you're not gonna have any problem with women. On the other hand, if you're barely making ends meet living in a 1 bedroom apartment, and you drive a 10 year old Jetta, you better be carved out of wood if you wanna have any chance with women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships