Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Again, this is an extremely small percentage of sexually active young people. I'm not sure which part of this you're not getting. Most sexually active people will have multiple partners over the course of a few years, particularly when you include oral sex, and therefore are likely to have HPV. One of the links you posted (which are reputable sources...well done) says 79 million currently infected in the U.S. alone. It's a dangerous lie to minimize this.

Sure, if you want to talk about old married fuddy-duddies who haven't had sex with anyone else in many years, their rate is going to be lower. That's not the majority of people on this forum, definitely not the majority of young people, and really not even the majority of people, period.
Who said anything about confining this discussion to young people?

And what is with your use of the term "old married fuddy-duddies?"

Newsflash: Neither the world nor this thread revolves around single Millennials who sleep around. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It depends on the person and the situation. If it was 10, 20 years ago and something he and his buddies did once or twice while he was in a fraternity or in the military or something like that (think Biloxi Blues), it wouldn't bother me. If it was recent and a streetwalker, or frequent at any point, sorry, but I would find it repugnant.

Actually, that's not true. There are dozens of HPV viruses, and Cervarix is only for types 16 and 18 (those associated with cervical cancer) and Gardisil is only for types 6, 11, 16, and 18 (6 and 11 are the ones that cause warts).

Also, experts do not say you should assume you have it if you're sexually active. The statistics are that most people will have one of the HPV viruses at some point in their lives if they have more than one partner--with a very loose definition of "partner" because HPV can be transmitted without penetration. But the viruses clear the body, most within a few months, nearly all within 2-3 years. It's only chronic and persistent in about 1% of cases, usually in women, and those are the types that are associated with cervical cancer. This means that for monogamous couples who have been together for several years, it's nearly a sure bet that both partners are clear.

I do agree with you that it's unfathomable why anyone would be against the vaccines. Religious and/or right-wing nuttery, to be sure.
Why does CD tolerate bigotry towards christians? What does somebody's religion have to do with it?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why does CD tolerate bigotry towards christians? What does somebody's religion have to do with it?

Yeah, hi. Did you see the word "christian" in my post? Why, no. No, you did not.

And I said religious AND/OR right-wing nuttery. One does not have to be religious to be a right-wing nut, and vice versa, but let's be honest here: You don't see too many atheists or liberals running around screaming that providing people with reproductive health care is a bad thing. That tends to come from zealots and neocons.

Moving along...

Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Because christian and religious are not synonomus. There are many key practices in "christian" churches that are not explicityl spelled out in the bible but the church will enforce them as if they are gospel (the most notable is the requriement to become legally married with the state, especially in light of divorce/family law). Also if churchs are going to pressure couples to legally marry with the state they should be willing to take up the mans alimony, child support and any assets he looses in a divorce from a marraige they pressured if the divorce was not his fault but they dont.

This makes religion and church worthless when it comes to relationship matters. Unfortunatly there are thoes out there that will hold these standards for thoes they are trying to date so it becomes relavent in the dating world, for me I just wont deal with it.

People in church purposly obfuscate the real liabilities that come with legal marraige and will not allow someone who has got burned to warn others of the dangers of getting in bed with the state. There is a very clear agenda going on and its not in favor of the men that are getting burned.

It is unfortunate because people then think they cant be christian because they dont want to get in bed with the state and the church will accuse them of fornication (which by the way does not exist in the original greek) even though they are with one woman or one man.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Who said anything about confining this discussion to young people?

And what is with your use of the term "old married fuddy-duddies?"

Newsflash: Neither the world nor this thread revolves around single Millennials who sleep around. Good grief.

I give up. I guess I should be happy...The need to correct mistaken views implanted in young people by people like you keeps me in business.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
Quote:
If you say so. Trust me, if I wanted to make up a fake career to impress strangers on the internet, I'd come up with something way cooler than this one.

Again, this is an extremely small percentage of sexually active young people. I'm not sure which part of this you're not getting. Most sexually active people will have multiple partners over the course of a few years, particularly when you include oral sex, and therefore are likely to have HPV. One of the links you posted (which are reputable sources...well done) says 79 million currently infected in the U.S. alone. It's a dangerous lie to minimize this.

Sure, if you want to talk about old married fuddy-duddies who haven't had sex with anyone else in many years, their rate is going to be lower. That's not the majority of people on this forum, definitely not the majority of young people, and really not even the majority of people, period.

By the way, I'm not sure why you keep repeating the part about most cases clearing up on their own. I'm well aware of that, and would never dispute that.

Old fuddy duddies? I'm 32 and have had the same partner for nearly eleven years. Some couple were much younger when they became monogamous.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I give up. I guess I should be happy...The need to correct mistaken views implanted in young people by people like you keeps me in business.
Yes, you should give up. This thread is not about "young people." It is about whether finding out someone has been with a prostitute in the past is a deal-breaker. That includes people of all ages from all walks of life, including people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond, not whatever "young people" you are allegedly "counseling" with your misinformation. Furthermore, not all "young people" have multiple partners in a two-year span. Quite a few of them are in long-term, monogamous relationships--the very relationships that lead to marriage in their 20s--and if a couple of 24-year-olds have been in a monogamous relationship for three or four years, chances are less than 1% that either of them have any strain of HPV. Your blanket statements to the effect that EVERYONE should ASSUME they CURRENTLY HAVE HPV are ludicrous. My SO and I have been together for 6 years, monogamously. Your statement does not apply to us, or to anyone who has been in a monogamous relationship for more than 3 years, or who has been completely celibate for more than 3 years.

Time from exposure matters, which brings us back to the question of prostitution, and why recent visits would be a deal-breaker but if it was something he did 20 years ago on a lark while out with his fraternity brothers or in the military (think Biloxi Blues) as a folly-of-youth thing, it wouldn't be so disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Old fuddy duddies? I'm 32 and have had the same partner for nearly eleven years. Some couple were much younger when they became monogamous.
Yep. If either of you had it, it's long gone.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
Quote:

Your audience right now aren't 18 year olds.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 AM

442 posts, read 800,756 times
Yawn.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Would that be an instant dealbreaker?
what difference does it make anyway?

buying a girl dinner and drinks is the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships