Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
When I was married to my ex husband much of this happened, and he was an alcoholic.

I paid the rent every month and my car payment and that exhausted the money I made every month. He was responsible for the utilities and credit card payments as well as groceries and he made more money that I did. I also did chip in on the groceries as well and the things the kids needed here and there. I did have that much left over.

Verbal and emotional abuser. He used to jack my son up, yell at my daughter. Awful.

All of a sudden no electricity. The amount of money that the bills added up to didn't change. He couldn't pay the electricity and told no one about it. Just all of a sudden no electricity.

We lived in a nice area and then ended up moving out because he decided the rent was too much, even though he didn't pay it, and moved our family into the ghetto where the rent cost a third. I was afraid to come home at night from work. I certainly didn't want my kids there.

Him trying to take off with the kids while he was drunk. Me calling the police. His family coming over and taking his drunken side....

Awful life.
Sounds familiar. But then again, sit in a room full of people who have lived with/loved an alcoholic. You get the weird feeling that everyone is talking about the exact same person. The behavior of an alkie, what they will say, what they will do, it's all very predictable.

An alcoholic or other addict just LOVES somebody like the OP, there to "help" them. I was that helpful idiot once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
No I'm not with him because I can't find anyone else, I want to be with him. He knows I will not tolerate heavy drinking and he also knows I will leave him if he continues.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Dads are selfish to the new girlfriend so no I will pass. Besides alcoholics can marry in church, dads can't.
Careful. He might get excommunicated for drinking all the wine.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM

He's Catholic and the Catholic Church has a serious drinking problem so no not going to happen.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,904 times
Honestly, I have wondered what the next chapter in this book would bring. I figured that there had to be some way to end the relationship without him just not marrying IDDY, now we know....I love a happy ending!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Oh we will get married I'm sure so sorry to disappoint you.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times
Quote:
Dads are selfish to the new girlfriend so no I will pass. Besides alcoholics can marry in church, dads can't.

words fail me!!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 PM

52,216 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Yeah... those damned "selfish" dads.... the nerve of them, actually putting the kids immediate needs above those of the GF...

Jeez... I swear... standards are slipping in this country.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah... those damned "selfish" dads.... the nerve of them, actually putting the kids immediate needs above those of the GF...

No kidding!!! Give me a dad anyday over an alchoholic! In my opinion, an alchoholic can't even compete.

Kids grow up and move on and out of the house, the ex fades away into the distance. An alchoholic is a lifer!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Of course they will put the needs of the kids first, but no it's not fair to the new girlfriend to be on the back burner, especially if she doesn't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships