Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,711,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Okay then - How about Curly Lambeau or Bear Bryant?
They weren't great players -just great coaches. They'd be the average guy giving the ugly or average guy advice.

Jordan and Gretzky would be the super handsome guy giving ugly guys advice - and failing miserably at the task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They weren't great players -just great coaches. They'd be the average guy giving the ugly or average guy advice.

Jordan and Gretzky would be the super handsome guy giving ugly guys advice - and failing miserably at the task.
The thing is - just because one guy is hot and the other guy isn't - that doesn't mean that he can't provide some insight. And just because a guy is attractive - it doesn't mean he's good with women or good with relationships. And just because a guy is unattractive - that doesn't mean that he's bad with women or bad with relationships. I don't know - I just think advice is advice. If it helps - great. If it doesn't - who cares? As a new mom - I get all sorts of advice from other moms. Some of it is helpful - some isn't.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM

5,986 posts, read 13,161,444 times
Pay someone to give you a makeover.

Take a cue from "***** eye for the straight guy." Seriously.

You can't change your height, genetics, etc. but one still has a LOT of control over their looks.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,618,295 times
Here is the thing about mens' looks - you dont have to be George Clooney or Brad Pitt (who are popular not because of their looks, but because they are actors btw), you just have to look YOUR best. Take care of your hygiene, pay for a decent haircut, workout regularly, eat clean, wear clean clothes that reflect your own style and personality.... You do those things, and you are GOLDEN. See, women care about how a man acts, or more precisely - how he makes them feel, about a million times more than just his physical appearance.

The only place where less than good looking guys are at a disadvantage, is online dating, because they are judged mostly by their profile pics, with no ability to showcase their behavior. Even then, you can help yourself with a well written profile, that highlights your strengths.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The thing is - just because one guy is hot and the other guy isn't - that doesn't mean that he can't provide some insight. And just because a guy is attractive - it doesn't mean he's good with women or good with relationships. And just because a guy is unattractive - that doesn't mean that he's bad with women or bad with relationships. I don't know - I just think advice is advice. If it helps - great. If it doesn't - who cares? As a new mom - I get all sorts of advice from other moms. Some of it is helpful - some isn't.
I agree with you to some extent, but the fact remains that if you're attractive, you have so much of an advantage and so much more of an array of situations and opportunities than an unattractive man. As the latter I can tell you that advice from more successful guys was pretty much useless because they were telling me to do things that wouldn't work for me.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I know some advice you get on here sometimes for struggling guys is too look at people you know who do well with women and pick things up from them.

But if your friend gets tons of women and looks are a major part of why what the hell can you really learn from him other then to get plastic surgery and get a handsome face

I really dont see what tips you can gather form somebody who women crush on before he even opens his mouth.
I haven't read the other responses to your question yet, but I'd bet real money someone is going to tell you to go the gym.

You need to seek out women in venues that don't privilege appearance so much. Bars and clubs are places where people seeking to connect tend to size each other up on the spot, which is why looks become all-important. It is the only criteria people can assess at a glance. Instead, spend time participating hobbies and activities that give you time to let you better qualities shine through.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I haven't read the other responses to your question yet, but I'd bet real money someone is going to tell you to go the gym.

You need to seek out women in venues that don't privilege appearance so much. Bars and clubs are places where people seeking to connect tend to size each other up on the spot, which is why looks become all-important. It is the only criteria people can assess at a glance. Instead, spend time participating hobbies and activities that give you time to let you better qualities shine through.
I do suggest the gym, but more for your own mental state than to attract women. In addition to becoming more fit, exercise improves your intelligence and sense of self-worth. That can only help you.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,076,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Here is the thing about mens' looks - you dont have to be George Clooney or Brad Pitt (who are popular not because of their looks, but because they are actors btw), you just have to look YOUR best. Take care of your hygiene, pay for a decent haircut, workout regularly, eat clean, wear clean clothes that reflect your own style and personality.... You do those things, and you are GOLDEN. See, women care about how a man acts, or more precisely - how he makes them feel, about a million times more than just his physical appearance.

The only place where less than good looking guys are at a disadvantage, is online dating, because they are judged mostly by their profile pics, with no ability to showcase their behavior. Even then, you can help yourself with a well written profile, that highlights your strengths.
Oh Ascension...silly boy! Have you not seen the laments of guys on this forum, complaining that a well-written profile is too much effort? Sending more than a wink is too much effort? (And they think the hard part is getting a date, nevermind the effort required to maintain a relationship.)

Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,519,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I know some advice you get on here sometimes for struggling guys is too look at people you know who do well with women and pick things up from them.

But if your friend gets tons of women and looks are a major part of why what the hell can you really learn from him other then to get plastic surgery and get a handsome face

I really dont see what tips you can gather form somebody who women crush on before he even opens his mouth.
Would Mark Cuban be attractive if he drove a bus?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Would Mark Cuban be attractive if he drove a bus?
If he still had all that money he would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships