Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,023,052 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for the children in these situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
I've said this for many years. Keeping one wife happy takes some work. Two wives is not happening. Then the drama starts. Plus, I'm outnumbered. I just keep the one I've got.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously...I don't even like hanging out with large groups of FRIENDS, preferring my friendships to be primarily one-on-one. This dynamic would never work for me. I'm just a 1:1 person, all around.
True for me, too, about friendships .

My poly relationships were 1:1. We rarely hung out as a group, and did not all live together as a family. I like to do my interacting one-on-one mostly, but some poly people who are more social than I am live with 2 or 3 partners. They are also the types who always have potlucks and book clubs meeting at their houses and stuff .

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I feel sorry for the children in these situations.
And their parents feel sorry for your kids, who have only two parents .

I'm not joking. A comment I see over and over from poly parents is, 'How do people cope, with only two adults?! They must be exhausted!'

The thing is, poly families are families. They are not a group of adults boning all the time and ignoring the kids. They are 3 or so parents helping with homework, driving the kids to soccer and dance class, going to PTA meetings, paying the bills, taking out the recycling...

Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I would not care and don't think it should be illegal.

I knew a woman who has two spouses. She called it a committed triad. At the time I knew her, she had been with one man for 17 years and the other for 10. Neither man was bisexual, and all three lived together and owned the house together. Their relationship was sexually open for all of them, but she said rarely did anyone actually take advantage of it. She said her two spouses were close friends and that either would be just as devastated if something happened to the other as they would any other family member.

She was a writer and taught writing, one of her spouses was a writer and in publishing, and I think the other spouse was some kind of accountant. She said because they moved socially in the world of sci-fi writers and publishers, no one found them particularly odd--sci-fi people have very open minds and accept a lot of things beyond the conventional.

How people want to voluntarily structure their families is not my concern in the least unless someone is being abused or harmed.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 PM

523 posts, read 840,620 times
It should be legal. It does sound expensive for a man with multiple wives. Seems a bit better with a woman and multiple husbands.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Mightyqueen describes better than I can what RL poly relationships are like .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
It should be legal. It does sound expensive for a man with multiple wives. Seems a bit better with a woman and multiple husbands.
Why is that? Like other families, usually all the adults work, or sometimes one takes care of the house.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM

523 posts, read 840,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Mightyqueen describes better than I can what RL poly relationships are like .

Why is that? Like other families, usually all the adults work, or sometimes one takes care of the house.
With all those wives, I am assuming they will have children, so all those kids are expensive. Less kids if there is one woman. I guess if no one has kids, it doesn't matter much.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
True for me, too, about friendships .

My poly relationships were 1:1. We rarely hung out as a group, and did not all live together as a family. I like to do my interacting one-on-one mostly, but some poly people who are more social than I am live with 2 or 3 partners. They are also the types who always have potlucks and book clubs meeting at their houses and stuff .
We came to it late and as a sort of mistake. We are a group of 4. But very much so a group.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post

Why should it be specifically legal? Or more to the point HOW? How does splitting of assets work on dissolution? Child support? Survivor-ship? Companies pay medical insurance for Tom and his five wives?

Seems to me that marriage in the US was a social engineering experiment that failed. Why not let churches offer marriage. And let people acquire whatever legal arrangements that they want within and between themselves.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:11 PM

I agree that the legal aspects of poly marriage would be waaaaaay more complex than with gay marriage. Would one person's health insurance cover all their partners? I guess it's like if the family was monogamous but had a lot of kids....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships