Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,708,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
But, don you not view a woman living with you, cooking and cleaning as an asset.? It may not be monetary, but it definitely amounts to something possibly more valuable than the assets you bring to the relationship.
I don't regard that as an asset. First of all, if she's "cooking and cleaning", presumably I am symmetrically performing domestic labor, such as repairing her car and maintaining the house. Secondly, I would rather marry a woman with some I can discuss literature and philosophy, and hire a maid or a cook to cover the domestic chores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I don't regard that as an asset. First of all, if she's "cooking and cleaning", presumably I am symmetrically performing domestic labor, such as repairing her car and maintaining the house. Secondly, I would rather marry a woman with some I can discuss literature and philosophy, and hire a maid or a cook to cover the domestic chores.
Why couldn't you discuss literature and philosophy with someone who also can cook and clean?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I just have to say..that as many guys I see online acting like they don't want to get married again, the real world is totally different. As much as guys moan and groan about marriage and even worse how screwed they get in a divorce, many men get married before the ink is dry on the divorce paperwork. I am not buying this myth that women are twisting guys arms or putting a gun to their heads to get married.
ha ha, I agree.... Men (self included) get weak around the women they like...

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I'm not in a rush to get married again. I would like to model a healthy relationship for my kids, and I can't do that with the wrong guy. better they should see a healthy active mom who won't compromise her principals or needs for a man.

I laughed very hard at the subject of alimony. in NY you get one year of alimony. THAT'S IT. Yes, it is a financial train wreck, but I think for a second marriage I would be much more careful about blending finances...I have my kids now and their financial needs would be managed differently. Their dad provides for them and I would keep that separate.

Financially, marriage will save me from a life of drudgery...I will never be able to afford to retire on my own, have to work until I'm dead. the quality of my life would improve dramatically if I had someone to share expenses with, but I guess I don't have to get married to get that.

I wish I could be faced with this decision. Can't find a man even remotely appropriate for an LTR.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares
I believe the consensus on the induction of marriage was that is was to insure that a man's children were biologically his. A mans wife was basically his "property". So perhaps today a woman can weld some power over a man thru marriage but that is certainly not the oldest story in the world.
Quote:
A man has no way to know if the children are his without a paternity test. Any
modern man knows that. Marriage doesn't guarantee anything.
The DNA technology was yet to be known, by a long shot, when the institution of marriage began thus owning your woman and preventing her from having sex with another man was the best way to insure any offspring belonged to her husband. This is why men came up with marriage.

Quote:
Another thing women can't accept is if a man doesn't want to buy a house with
her. My advice is to always keep your own house and make the other person keep
their own house. It saves a lot of hassle in the end.
Most peoples first marriage occurs when they are just starting out in life so they most likely wouldn't own a house already. Makes sense to purchase your first house together as a couple. I agree for second marriages. I definitely would not sell my place and buy a new house with a husband. But then Im not going to marry again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships