Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Would u like to review my divorce settlement with me? Then it will all make sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Agree. Its not mutually exclusive-marriage/career. What I am saying is they want to get married but are in nor rush, hence some of them have been with their boyfriends for 5/7/9+ years and have the mentality of "it happens when it happens".
Again, I would disagree that these things don't necessarily go hand in hand. I would say that, living in NYC, most of my friends waited until they found the right guy - none of us got married right out of college or anything - but none of them waited that long. My most career driven friend was the one that was the most upset at not being married and having children. She wasn't with her boyfriend for that long before they got married, and then they started a family shortly after that. They just had their second child and she is still very career driven. My friend that was with her boyfriend for over 8 years before they got married wasn't sure they even wanted to get married - but they decided to after all. I would say she's much less career driven than my other friends.

Like I said - I don't really think these things have much to do with each other. Maybe it depends on location, too. My husband's friends were all married right out of college - they are all from the south.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Because they want to capture a man. hit him over the head with a club and bring him back to her cave It's a base human instinct geared around reproduction, that is reinforced by modern societal influences: Commercials, Wedding planners, Jewelry companies, Greeting cars, etc. They even have Gays believing they need it

Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Common Myths Men Believe About Women

Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Because they want to capture a man. hit him over the head with a club and bring him back to her cave It's a base human instinct geared around reproduction, that is reinforced by modern societal influences: Commercials, Wedding planners, Jewelry companies, Greeting cars, etc. They even have Gays believing they need it
And on the darker side of that society has looked down upon unmarried women most especially those with children. Religion for the most part and a society influenced by that religion tells women the best that they can be is a good wife. The social status and wealth of the man you marry defines your importance. If no man would want to marry you then you are basically worthless. So women still tend to want a legal, proper and secure relationship before having children even though society no longer has these attitudes.

But don't worry it is all changing. More and more women no long put any importance on the status of her husband or even having one to start a family. Before you know it, it will be hard to find a woman who desires marriage.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Mostly because they want commitment from their man. They want commitment from their man, because instinctualy they want the safety, financial security and protection from their man, in case they get pregnant and have to raise offspring. Finaly, some do, because they can cash in due to the no fault divorce laws and heavily skewed judicial system which is busy with wealth redistribution at insane rates. As soon as it became clear that marriage is a losing proposition for young men, new cohabitation laws were introduced to ensure this redistribution will continue. Wake up america.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Great observations. I know several women in their late 20's early 30's in LTR's (6 years+) with no urge to commit. They are focused on grad school/work/career/travel etc. None of them have the crazy twitchy eye I see in some women. Maybe its a DC area phenomenon-women tend to be more career driven than family/marriage driven.
That's sad that they think a "career" is more important than having a family and living their lives as wives and mothers like they should. You can always replace a "career" but you can't replace a family. They sound like very selfish people. I'm glad I don't live in that kind of an environment.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
I just have to say..that as many guys I see online acting like they don't want to get married again, the real world is totally different. As much as guys moan and groan about marriage and even worse how screwed they get in a divorce, many men get married before the ink is dry on the divorce paperwork. I am not buying this myth that women are twisting guys arms or putting a gun to their heads to get married.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Finaly, some do, because they can cash in due to the no fault divorce laws and heavily skewed judicial system which is busy with wealth redistribution at insane rates.
Yeah you're right, all women go into marriage with that very thought in mind, fleecing their husband out of his millions....

Such a load of garbage, as if that many men even have much money. Women are out earning guys at a rate never seen before. Many of us don't need a man for financial security so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. You're so full of drama and silliness and blatant misogyny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships