Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the smarter option?
Moving in before marriage 92 66.19%
Marriage before moving in 47 33.81%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP24 View Post
I'm traditional, so I really don't believe in cohabitation. What's the fun of starting a new life together if you are already living the same life before you say " I do" ? There really is no transition but a piece of paper as so many claim.
If you're already living as a married couple and life is grand, then you already KNOW that getting that marriage certificate won't change anything..just make it more "legal" I guess...It's sometimes the people who don't know what it's like to live with their chosen partner that run into trouble when they marry first before they've had the chance to know if they actually can live peacefully and respectfully together..if starting "a new life together" is fun...what makes you think that living together before marriage isn't?..The trick to a lasting marriage is to have fun throughout it, not just at the start-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'd rather not live together before marriage.
Same here!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
The handle is a joke, I haven't been a "kid" in a while.

I'm glad that I didn't have to share a room with a new stepbrother, that's for sure. I asked them once if they would have moved in sooner and they said probably but they wanted to avoid an all-out war. Going from 2 people to 4 in a typical NYC apartment would have been a big change. On the plus side my mom spent a lot of nights with him so I had plenty of freedom as a teenager (which was both good and bad, I guess).

Bringing this back on topic, they lived together for at least 5 years before they decided to get married.
LOL, I didn't mean you are a kid now, only that you are "a kid" of a woman who decided to wait to live with the man she was in love with.

Your mom sounds wise and practical

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP24 View Post
I'm traditional, so I really don't believe in cohabitation. What's the fun of starting a new life together if you are already living the same life before you say " I do" ? There really is no transition but a piece of paper as so many claim.
I think that is exactly the appeal for many couples.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,949,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You have to test drive the car before you buy it.
I did a ton ton ton of research on my recent car purchase. I had 2 models picked out that I was interested in, just from hours pouring over the internet. I already knew I liked the big stuff--the size, the style, the mpg, the features offered. When I test drove, I wasn't looking for reasons to buy the car, I was looking for reasons not to by the car. "Ooh, this one has a cupholder in a weird spot" or "I don't like that button layout".

Similarly, I had done a ton of "research" on my husband before marriage. We had dated for over 2.5 years before we tied the knot. I had seen what he was like stressed, upset, happy, content, because we'd dated long enough to see life's curves thrown at us. I had spent significant time with his family, and knew that I got along great with them as well (which was important to me). I saw the way he treated those around him, watched him as a poor college senior tip servers well at restaurants and support the charities on campus. I knew he was a kind, loving individual who had maintained relationships with friends from years ago. He loved children, animals, and his aging grandparents. He'd seen me at my worst and thought no less of me.

Living with him before marriage would have been me looking for the "bad button layouts" in his personality. "I don't like the way he falls asleep with a book on his face" or "Ugh, can't he do dishes more often?" I didn't want to look for those things. Iwanted to marry him, not find excuses to not marry him. I had a list of dating deal breakers that I knew I couldn't live with. I had checked off all those deal breakers by about 6 months into our relationship. Everything else is just gravy.

I think it is the exception rather than the rule that people find out major, life changing things after moving in together (whether marriage or just cohabitation). And then, how long are you going to live together before you're convinced they aren't hiding anything anymore? At what point do you say, okay, I'm convinced! I know that personally, I would keep digging for reasons to run away, whether they were there or not.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
There has been some research which indicates cohabitation prior to marriage actually results in a greater likelihood of dirorce compared to marriage which wasn't preceeded by cohabitation.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,949,601 times
I do want to say that while we didn't live together and it's turned out awesome for us, I have no reason to think people shouldn't live together before marriage. If they want to, great. I just don't think it should feel like a necessity.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
With the "pickiness" of people these days (as with many of the threads stated as such right here in CD land) it may not be such a bad idea to live together before marriage, but there are also drawbacks that I won't get into as it turns into different subjects.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,421 times
We didn't live together before marriage. I can't see doing it any differently for me. I don't care what others do.

Where living together doesn't work, in my opinion, is when people move in together out of convenience(could be for economic reasons) before the relationship is really on solid ground.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM

770 posts, read 1,178,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I guess what I am saying is while living together can help in some situations. It's not foolproof. And don't fall into the thinking that living together is marriage preparation. It's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
The relationships are different (marriage and co-habitation) anyway and do not compare with each other. There is really nothing to learn.
So, what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships