Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Isn't that what dating is for? To get to know someone? How many times have we heard on here a female poster say, they met a guy and he was cute and they went out, and he turned out to be "a d bag" "he expected me to go dutch on the first date" "he sleept with me and never called again"? So cleary when women first meet men they are also going by just looks initially.
Other women might, I don't. I don't deny that other women do things differently, I've been speaking to what I do and how I feel and trying to point out that all women don't think with one collective mind like the Borg. I like to get to know a man little before the date. Not being able to do that is one of the reasons why online dating didn't work for me. My method is much slower, but the quality of dates is much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Isn't that what dating is for? To get to know someone? How many times have we heard on here a female poster say, they met a guy and he was cute and they went out, and he turned out to be "a d bag" "he expected me to go dutch on the first date" "he sleept with me and never called again"? So cleary when women first meet men they are also going by just looks initially.
Personally, I only dated people I already knew to some extent. I never went out with someone who ended up being a d-bag or who slept with me and never called me again.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Personally, I only dated people I already knew to some extent. I never went out with someone who ended up being a d-bag or who slept with me and never called me again.
This is an interesting point, because we get guys on this forum complaining that women never give them a chance. You only date men you already knew and your quality of dating was much higher. For me, I gave men a chance and didn't 'judge' and it turns out a large majority of the men I went out with turned out to be D-bags.

Really, being picky and taking it slow is the way to go..otherwise you end up dating a bunch of a-holes and become jaded to the whole process. Giving people chances is generally not a good idea.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM

415 posts, read 599,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is an interesting point, because we get guys on this forum complaining that women never give them a chance. You only date men you already knew and your quality of dating was much higher. For me, I gave men a chance and didn't 'judge' and it turns out a large majority of the men I went out with turned out to be D-bags.

Really, being picky and taking it slow is the way to go..otherwise you end up dating a bunch of a-holes and become jaded to the whole process. Giving people chances is generally not a good idea.
What do you mean her quality of dating was much higher? She still ended up breaking up with all but one of those dudes she already knew before she dated them.

Her ex-boyfriend's may not have been jerks but she broke up with those dudes anyway.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
What do you mean her quality of dating was much higher? She still ended up breaking up with all but one of those dudes she already knew before she dated them.

Her ex-boyfriend's may not have been jerks but she broke up with those dudes anyway.
So? There's a big difference between just not being right for each other and being a D-bag.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So? There's a big difference between just not being right for each other and being a D-bag.
Not really.

Scenario 1: you meet a guy you don't know and get into a relationship. He ends up being a "D-bag". You break up. Conclusion: you wasted your time on someone who isn't your soul mate.

Scenario 2: you wait to get to know a guy before getting into a relationship. He ends up being incompatible for some other reason than being a "D-bag". You break up. Conclusion: you wasted your time on someone who isn't your soul mate.

The end result in both scenarios is the same.

So she spent all that time being picky and choosy and waiting to get to know a guy before dating, but she was just as wrong about her choice for a compatible mate as you were with the "D-bags" you met.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah - they were great guys - they just weren't right for me. I never dated any a-holes. The guys that I had relationships with were all good people.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Not really.

Scenario 1: you meet a guy you don't know and get into a relationship. He ends up being a "D-bag". You break up. Conclusion: you wasted your time on someone who isn't your soul mate.

Scenario 2: you wait to get to know a guy before getting into a relationship. He ends up being incompatible for some other reason than being a "D-bag". You break up. Conclusion: you wasted your time on someone who isn't your soul mate.

The end result in both scenarios is the same.

So she spent all that time being picky and choosy and waiting to get to know a guy before dating, but she was just as wrong about her choice for a compatible mate as you were with the "D-bags" you met.
I didn't spend any time being picky and choosy. I haven't really been single since I was 17. And the difference between being incompatible with someone and dating a d-bag is huge. I was never verbally abused, physically abused, treated horribly, etc. I don't have huge trust issues and I've always been treated fairly well. These guys weren't perfect - but they were good people and I didn't have to waste my time trying to get over some a-hole who made me feel like men are scum.

Maybe I just have good taste.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I didn't spend any time being picky and choosy. I haven't really been single since I was 17. And the difference between being incompatible with someone and dating a d-bag is huge. I was never verbally abused, physically abused, treated horribly, etc. I don't have huge trust issues and I've always been treated fairly well. These guys weren't perfect - but they were good people and I didn't have to waste my time trying to get over some a-hole who made me feel like men are scum.

Maybe I just have good taste.
You haven't been single since you were 17? Oh, pfft. We're talking about adult dating here. We're not taking about dating when you were in high school.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You haven't been single since you were 17? Oh, pfft. We're talking about adult dating here. We're not taking about dating when you were in high school.
I'm not talking about dating in high school. I was with my first boyfriend from 17-22, and we dated other people for the last couple years. Then I met my ex-fiance, broke up with my boyfriend, and was with him until I was 25. Then I met my husband and I've been with him since then.

My point was that I wasn't sitting around waiting for Prince Charming and rejecting every guy that came my way because I was ultra picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships