Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,495,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
There should not need to be a deterrant. Anyone who feels a monogomous relationship is not for them should not get into one. Those that feel it is for them should honor that relationship, avoid situations that could result in an "accident" (quotes used on purpose) or end the monogomous relationship with that person before moving on to the next.

People really just need to be honest with themselves and know themselves better.

Besides that, I do not see any viable penalty as being a good deterrant. Already you have people who cheat and risk all kinds of social and financial penalties and hardships over it.
People "should be" all kinds of things - according to other people who "know" best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,122,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Because all sorts of people get cheated on. Attractive ones/ugly ones, Rich people poor people, people who are very clingy to their partner/people who are distant etc.

So my question is do you think there is any type of effective deterrent to cheating?
to a point i think a cheater is a cheater and no behavior will stop it.that said i suppose you could make it more difficult by being clingy and not giving your parnter anytime to cheat however you wil be unhappy and so will they.

as far as deterring cheating try to find someone who has the smae morals and values as you. respect and love yourself and your more likely to find people who will respect you.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,405,996 times
find someone u actually like and respect?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,400,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
find someone u actually like and respect?
Yeah, that didn't work with the last three women I gotten involved with.

I agree; non-monogamy

Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,217,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Step 1: be attractive

Step 2: don't be unattractive
Halle berry got cheated on, and tiger woods wife is a supermodel and he cheated on her with women who werent close to her level. It's not about looks, rarely when a guy cheats he's upgrading

Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,969,500 times
Quote:
Because all sorts of people get cheated on. Attractive ones/ugly ones, Rich people poor people, people who are very clingy to their partner/people who are distant etc.

So my question is do you think there is any type of effective deterrent to cheating?
There already is one: Child Support.
But it doesn't apply to everyone. And frankly, some marriages/relationships exist due to poor choices anyway, so who would stop and think "I shouldn't do this" anyway ?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,076,716 times
I am not sure even child support is much of a deterrent. Family court is awfully busy.

Of course not everyone stops and thinks ahead of time in the real world. However, cheating, particularly on a spouse, generally takes some conscious effort. Folks typically do not end up in bed with someone else on accident.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM

207 posts, read 355,709 times
Quote:

Sometimes things just happen. And you hear so many times people thought they would never cheat. I think cheating can often be the result of timing, opportunity, and unhappiness in the current relationship.

If anything, I think the best deterrent is to make sure you are happy by investing in yourself (so you are personally whole) and to not let a deteriorating relationship go on without addressing the issues before it is too late. If you are whole, and not putting your head in the sand you will be strong if there is a temptation or opportunity.

Of course there are people who like the thrill of an affair and the comfort of a committed relationship at the same time. So for them- no.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,171,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldLight View Post
Sometimes things just happen. And you hear so many times people thought they would never cheat. I think cheating can often be the result of timing, opportunity, and unhappiness in the current relationship.
Those people probably had it in them to cheat but the opportunity just didn't show up or they were probably lying to themselves then they said ''I would never cheat'' years ago.

I want to say for sure that cheating would be one of the most horrible way I can ever hurt a man. I'm not willing to hurt someone like that. At this moment, I will say I hate cheaters.

The phrase I absolutely detest is ''One thing led to another and we end up having sex''. Yeah right. You can always stop where you are and choose not to do it. You make it happen, things don't just lead to by themselves. If a man ever cheats on me or craps over me, I'd rather him say ''I made a bad choice'' than use that phrase. I'll dump him either way but at least he's saying he did it and not calling his action a mistake that just happened.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM

211 posts, read 373,933 times
"Cheaters" Joey Greco is proven to stop cheating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships