Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times

Advertisements

Thread reopened. Please stay on topic and knock it off with the bickering.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,658,998 times
Why is it always one or the other? Why do people assume that if you want to text that you never speak in person or on the phone? While I HATE HATE HATE talking on the phone, I'll do it if necessary. I do prefer face to face, but in certain situations that may not be possible and I enjoy having 'conversations' via text when a phone or face to face meeting isn't something that's going to happen soon. Just because I like sending and receiving texts here and there doesn't mean I'm socially stunted or don't know how to have a conversation.

My sister and I send each other silly pictures and whatnot and my family and I keep in touch via text since I moved across the country. When I have half an hour or more to spare I'll talk with them on the phone, but usually a quick text here and there is fine.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:05 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,467,741 times
^
i think its more of a case of "too much of the same thing" over "everyone who texts is an antisocial zombie"

there are things that you just cant get across or experience with someone if your only means of communication is in type alone. you cant expect to know everything needed about someone in all scenarios if all you ever know from them is what they want you to know in the way they want you to know it.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,658,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
^
i think its more of a case of "too much of the same thing" over "everyone who texts is an antisocial zombie"

there are things that you just cant get across or experience with someone if your only means of communication is in type alone. you cant expect to know everything needed about someone in all scenarios if all you ever know from them is what they want you to know in the way they want you to know it.
I can see that...but why is everyone assuming that texting is the only means of communication for these people? Me and the guy I'm dating text fairly often throughout the day and see each other on the weekends, our schedules really don't allow for us to sit and talk on the phone during the week, since we have opposite work schedules. It works for us...and it doesn't mean we have poor communication skills or that texting is our only means of communication.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I can see that...but why is everyone assuming that texting is the only means of communication for these people? Me and the guy I'm dating text fairly often throughout the day and see each other on the weekends, our schedules really don't allow for us to sit and talk on the phone during the week, since we have opposite work schedules. It works for us...and it doesn't mean we have poor communication skills or that texting is our only means of communication.
I don't think anyone's trying to say that all texting is wrong and stupid. Obviously you like it and it works for your. But, look at the OP--he's all up in arms about not getting immediate responses and not wanting to date Android users. That's a bit obsessive, no? Think how barren this forum would be without people starting threads like "I texted him four times but he only texted me twice. Does he love me?" or "She texted 'What's Up?' What does that mean?" So there are people out there who can't figure it out, which means they probably aren't scintillating conversationalists in person, either.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think anyone's trying to say that all texting is wrong and stupid. Obviously you like it and it works for your. But, look at the OP--he's all up in arms about not getting immediate responses and not wanting to date Android users. That's a bit obsessive, no? Think how barren this forum would be without people starting threads like "I texted him four times but he only texted me twice. Does he love me?" or "She texted 'What's Up?' What does that mean?" So there are people out there who can't figure it out, which means they probably aren't scintillating conversationalists in person, either.

We're all talking about the same OP, right?

Can we really classify this guy along with the general population of people who prefer texting?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,352,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Pretty big brush you're painting with there lady

Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Mo cut: Orphaned.

I don't even turn my phone on unless it's an emergency

This 100% has to do with your age / generation. I don't even have a home phone. If I didn't have my cell, no one could ever contact me

I feel bad for Millennials. I think, very generally speaking, you've been socially stunted by technology. Instead of using it as a tool or a complement to your communications, you use it as a lifeline. It IS your life. And you miss so much because of it, because your heads are always down. Your reliance on technology has hampered everything from romance to how you interact with people in the office. Technology is a fantastic thing, but as with everything else in life, there is a time and place for it.

Please. My phone is not my life. It aids me in getting what I want done, setting up dates and entertainment, but it is far from my life. Feel bad all you want. You may think you've lived some kind of "fuller" life cause you weren't raised with technology. I rather think it has aided me in meeting people I never would have, helped me set up more dates quicker and easier, and continues to be a great tool to further my objectives.

As for the office. Would you say the same if I was reading a paper back instead of a ecopy on my tablet? I doubt it. If I want to have lunch with coworkers and converse, I'll make it happen. Otherwise, don't try and say I lack social skills cause I don't care about your cat or your new health issue.

Baby boomers.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Texting isn't everyone's life. If you are so upset about a texting issue that you are flipping out about it on a messageboard, I don't know what to tell you. A phone is a tool. That's all. Not a lifeline. Not a social barometer. If that's what it is to you, that's just kinda lame and sad.

Signed,

Not a baby boomer, just somebody who doesn't give a rat's ass about the phone

Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Texting isn't everyone's life. If you are so upset about a texting issue that you are flipping out about it on a messageboard, I don't know what to tell you. A phone is a tool. That's all. Not a lifeline. Not a social barometer. If that's what it is to you, that's just kinda lame and sad.

Signed,

Not a baby boomer, just somebody who doesn't give a rat's ass about the phone
Lol. That is exactly what it is. A tool. And because I use said tool sheds no light on my social skills.

Secondly, as you surely wouldn't know, in the dating market for twenties and below, you can find allllll over the internet articles about how to text the opposite sex and how to interpret them as well as gauging interest levels. While no one should get upset about someone not immediately answering them, as burgler will back me up on this, it's noted. Whether you think this is stupid or not is irrelevant, because there is an entire generation that agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships