Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times

Advertisements

...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...expressing frustration at women obsessed with money, or are they really expressing envy of men who are more successful than they are?

I ask because a lot of complaints about "gold-digging" are tinged with a subtle suggestion that wealthy men are getting access to women they don't really deserve...
It's envy. If they could 'afford' those hot women they wouldn't be complaining about lavishing them with gifts.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
could be a catch- all excuse of any kind. if im just too lazy and overwhelmed to explore my real issues or the truth(that i just don't try) I might offer the gold digger alibi myself. also i feel ugly and hate my appearance, but the REAL bare truth is that I don't try, not that I'm ugly.

i don't even think it's that women are looking for wealth per se. any woman who perceives me as "different" or lacking in some significant way (kind of like the "hes independent and does his own wash, he has stable employment BUT HE's NOT THAT AMBITIOUS or HES BEEN AT THE SAME JOB FOR 20 YEARS HES NOT A RISK TAKER..." I can, if im feeling frustrated enough, just lump that under "gold digger" because of all my other interpersonal issues. it's like ive just had enough of being graded and failing. its like reject before getting rejected

Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Not envy. They're paranoid.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,529 times
For me it would be frustration with the women, because I don't care for people that use others. I suppose if the guy knows he's getting used, it doesn't really matter. It's almost like legal prostitution.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Why would a guy complain about gold diggers if it isn't his gold they're after??

I think many guys use the gold digger label for any woman who doesn't pony up cash on the first date. These men think the women are after their copper-heavy piggy banks. Funny.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Why would a guy complain about gold diggers if it isn't his gold they're after??

I think many guys use the gold digger label for any woman who doesn't pony up cash on the first date. These men think the women are after their copper-heavy piggy banks. Funny.
Actually, I'd say some of the guys on CD use the gold digger label for any woman. Period. I'm not sure why but I'd say bitterness and anger are probably key factors.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
to me if a woman isn't after wealth per se but she feels im not cut out to put enough food on her table and afford her a decent house and i sense that, she will get CLOSE to the gold digger label from me but not totally. more like she's spoiled or superficial but not really GD

but that white picket fence life isn't for me anyway so i wonder why im even concerned

Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,545,847 times
in my opinion, a gold digger is not concern about the man, just his wallet.

and, yes, they do exist. doesn't matter what a douche, scum bag, dead end, loser, there are many women who want, look for, and seek to obtain by any means necessary the lifestyle and payout, not the man.

then there are those guys who understand that a man of means can afford the company of good looking women, and some women appreciates his kindness, generousity, and lifestyle because she knows she is replaceable if she doesn't behave, of she disrespects him, or she doesn't have any (zero) emotions for the guy. and it could just be basic friendship too, like anna nicole smith. her sickly old man just wanted her company in his last few days of life. heck, i could even see myself doing it because you can't take the cash with you, you are leaving well enough behind for inheritance, and you want to spend your last few days enjoyably. is that good digging, so long as she is taking care of me? what cares what others think, as far as i'm concerned, it's just her and me and i'm loving life till my final day.

any lets be honest here, many many women won't date a guy unless he is financially stable or secure. cal lit what you want (ambition, character, potential, whatever), these women are measuring his worth as a man by his financial resources. can you blame them? certainly not if they have the looks, body, and personality to be worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by nokiddin; 10-07-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

I think you're onto something there. I don't think most of the men who complain about this on this forum are wealthy, so they're not the type of guys "gold diggers" are looking for anyway. I think they, like most of the complainers on this forum, are people who have trouble getting dates with quality partners and are looking for any external excuse they can find to avoid accepting responsibility.

Unless you're Bill Gates, it's not that hard these days for a man to find a woman who makes a similar income to him and therefore has no interest in dating him for his money. I make a decent middle-to-upper-middle class salary and never encounter these so-called "gold diggers" in my dating pool, probably because they're not looking for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships