Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM

194 posts, read 635,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Nothing will soften the blow or make it hurt less but doing it in person is respectful. It is cowardly and disrespectful to do it over the phone, text, or email.
I live 3.5 hours away from the girl I'm talking about. We pretty much never see each other during the week. I'd rather she go ahead and do it over the phone than wait a week or so to do it in person, and lie her way through all of the texts and phone conversations until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
I've read about breaking up in a public place so that the "reaction" to the breakup can't be too extreme or dramatic unless the other person wants to lose face. And if the other person gets violent or decides to harm you in some way there are plenty of witnesses.

I think the worst think you can do is break up in the middle of a park with a huge lake, a sky dive, or mountain climb, or some other isolated place.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Nope, its chicken****, but so typical of women/people who are indirect. Dump her now, she can have a talk with the other guy she is already banging.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:55 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Ugh!!! HATE THAT. My ex did that to me - I got a morning text that we really needed to talk soon. And when I asked what about he ignored my texts all day. I think it's really crappy to do that to someone. Making someone wait all day to be dumped is not cool. I'd honestly rather them just dump me via text message than leave me in suspense all day so they can do it over the phone or in person.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:31 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm guilty of this. When I ended my 2 big relationships - I feel like I gave them warning. It was really, really hard for me to end things. I knew I was going to hurt them immensely and I guess I felt like it would soften the blow if I did it gradually. I guess looking back - it might have been better to just do it in one foul swoop - but I felt like if I prepared them a bit - they might not take it as hard. At the end of the day - does it really make a big difference?

When it is all said and done, there is no real perfect way to end things. I'm sure your logic in the moment had good intentions. And then add that everyone is different.

I guess the biggest thing to keep in mind IMO is not to send a lead in text or call while the person is at work when actually ending things. For me, when I know a break up is coming, AND I am at work, I wind up being very unproductive. If it is a LTR anyway. If it is less than 3 months, its different. But ideally, regardless of length of relationship, I at least get a phone call AFTER my work day has been concluded.
When my homelife is rocky or ending, and I sense it or I am stressed, it affects my work. And I know it shouldn't but it's just part of how I'm wired.

Sometimes there is no choice though.
Person 1 sends a text in the AM. "Can we talk/meet this evening?"
person 2, "Sure, what's up?"
person 1, "I just want to talk about something."
person 2, "no problem, x oclock is good."

But even then, if I think the relationship is rocky, now I'm most likely distracted ALL DAY.

When I have ended serious relationships, I try to offer no lead in. Then I call or talk. It sometimes blindsides people I think, but regardless, at least they aren't upset at work all day. Like I said, there is no perfect way.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
maybe she's pregnant.....think of this,,,,,anything else wont seem so bad...

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Are you sure she's breaking up with you and just doesn't want to talk about where the relationship is going?

Like I said, you would know more than an of us OP and there might be other circumstances too that don't come across well online, but based on what you wrote, I don't see breakup in that. I just see someone talking about the relationship going to the next level. Just hate to see you get worked up over something that might not be what you think.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Since it's hard to infer a tone from a text, it could just as easily be, "I was offered a job 10 hours away, where's our relationship going? If we're going to the next step, I won't take it." So at this point I'd keep an open mind.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
People (unless there's a distance issue) should do this sort of thing in person.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
So I get a text message this morning:

"Hey. Do you have time to talk tonight about something really important?"

Me: "Uh, yeah sure. Important in what way?"

Her: "Just really important things about where we stand that we need to talk about. I'd rather do this over the phone. I'll call you later tonight."

Look, really? I understand doing it over the phone, or in person, is better than going over text messages. But in situations like this, can you at least call without giving warning?

Now I'm stuck here at work unable to focus because I know this evening I'm going to have to receive the "talk."

I'd rather she just be more specific in her text message and put me out of my misery. Or else call later without giving me any stupid foreshadowing first, lol
Badly done. She was basically telling you what she was going to tell you. In person is best. But over a text is just a sign of social cluelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships