Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM

194 posts, read 636,142 times

Advertisements

So I get a text message this morning:

"Hey. Do you have time to talk tonight about something really important?"

Me: "Uh, yeah sure. Important in what way?"

Her: "Just really important things about where we stand that we need to talk about. I'd rather do this over the phone. I'll call you later tonight."

Look, really? I understand doing it over the phone, or in person, is better than going over text messages. But in situations like this, can you at least call without giving warning?

Now I'm stuck here at work unable to focus because I know this evening I'm going to have to receive the "talk."

I'd rather she just be more specific in her text message and put me out of my misery. Or else call later without giving me any stupid foreshadowing first, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,961,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post

Her: "Just really important things about where we stand that we need to talk about. I'd rather do this over the phone. I'll call you later tonight."

Look, really? I understand doing it over the phone, or in person, is better than going over text messages. But in situations like this, can you at least call without giving warning?

Now I'm stuck here at work unable to focus because I know this evening I'm going to have to receive the "talk."

I'd rather she just be more specific in her text message and put me out of my misery. Or else call later without giving me any stupid foreshadowing first, lol
Yea, she used poor tact. But, at least she 'intends' to do it over the phone.
Ideally she calls without a prelude, but she is human, and stressing bout it, so she texted you as sort of a lead in.

Breaking up/dumping is hard to do, for some people more than others. I guess there is a huge anxiety when dumping someone. You don't want to hurt their feelings, but you can't be in the relationship anymore. It makes people act 'weird'.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
She could have just waited to have the actual talk instead of hinting that it is coming. Or maybe she's pregnant.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I hate it when people do that kind of thing... and then you wonder and worry about it all day. It's mental torture in a lot of ways. But are you sure it's really a breakup though? To me, talking about "where we stand" implies maybe taking things to the next level (whatever that might be). Then again, I am not in your shoes and don't know what's going on between the two of you--so you would know better.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Yea, she used poor tact. But, at least she 'intends' to do it over the phone.
Ideally she calls without a prelude, but she is human, and stressing bout it, so she texted you as sort of a lead in.

Breaking up/dumping is hard to do, for some people more than others. I guess there is a huge anxiety when dumping someone. You don't want to hurt their feelings, but you can't be in the relationship anymore. It makes people act 'weird'.
I'm guilty of this. When I ended my 2 big relationships - I feel like I gave them warning. It was really, really hard for me to end things. I knew I was going to hurt them immensely and I guess I felt like it would soften the blow if I did it gradually. I guess looking back - it might have been better to just do it in one foul swoop - but I felt like if I prepared them a bit - they might not take it as hard. At the end of the day - does it really make a big difference?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:

"I want to tell you about your cooking... No we can wait till after dinner."

"We need to talk about how much you are costing me in food each week... It might be, listen I don't want to talk about this over the ph... It's not that you are. .. Well, we all ar....hey, I love chocolate too!"

Hey go for it. You have time to think of things you want to address to her. You're going down you might as well land in the most destructive spot.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,623,922 times
Quote:

I would rather expect it than be ambushed by a random phone call just saying "we need to break up."

Is there not a way she can talk to you in real life? Phone is at least better than text. that's a coward's way out. And who knows, she might not be breaking up with you.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
I hate ambiguity

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Nothing will soften the blow or make it hurt less but doing it in person is respectful. It is cowardly and disrespectful to do it over the phone, text, or email.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Nothing will soften the blow or make it hurt less but doing it in person is respectful. It is cowardly and disrespectful to do it over the phone, text, or email.
It all depends on the circumstances. I had to do it over the phone. We were across the country from each other. It would have been worse for me to either make them wait for months until I could go see them for have them come all the way out and see me just so I could break up with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships