Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,708 times

Advertisements

It's a defense mechanism to protect the ego by projecting negative moral values on more successful guys. So unless being judgemental and envious are nice guy qualities, they're phony. I cringe every time a guy complains about being a nice guy who's never given a chance, because he comes across as extremely emasculating and sad.

The proper term for these guys is beta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Old 10-12-2013, 07:37 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Nice guys tend to be creeps, of a worse sort than the jerks they see hitting on women. It takes men years to work themselves out of this phase, and it tends to be helped along by equally screwy parents.

This. A girl is not obligated to do anything for you.

Also, I know this how? Because for years, I've been following just this example. Now, I kinda know better intellectually, but emotionally, I still end up doing this, like it or not. I'd rather suicide myself than put another girl through this. But then she'd prob think I was being manipulative and doing it because she won't sleep with me. I hate my life.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times

Twilight Sparkle - Uh, not this again - YouTube

Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Nice guys tend to be creeps, of a worse sort than the jerks they see hitting on women. It takes men years to work themselves out of this phase, and it tends to be helped along by equally screwy parents.

This. A girl is not obligated to do anything for you.
First step is realizing that being a doormat will get them nowhere.

Even arrogance is better.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
It's a defense mechanism to protect the ego by projecting negative moral values on more successful guys. So unless being judgemental and envious are nice guy qualities, they're phony. I cringe every time a guy complains about being a nice guy who's never given a chance, because he comes across as extremely emasculating and sad.

The proper term for these guys is beta.
It is somewhat true.

Since most of what women choose is based on looks, a very handsome nice guy will have no problems. Those guys are often taken though, so women will date good looking jerks. That's where you get the nice guys finish last part. Also, handsome men will tend to mistreat women because they have so many options. Whereas an average looking guy might stay faithful. So, you could be referring to nice in that sense.

Nice is such a broad word.

I do think uglier people are in general 'slightly' better people in the sense that they are usually more modest and have been kicked around and rejected a bit. So, they have more sympathy and generally are less judgmental.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
It is somewhat true.

Since most of what women choose is based on looks, a very handsome nice guy will have no problems. Those guys are often taken though, so women will date good looking jerks. That's where you get the nice guys finish last part. Also, handsome men will tend to mistreat women because they have so many options. Whereas an average looking guy might stay faithful. So, you could be referring to nice in that sense.

Nice is such a broad word.

I do think uglier people are in general 'slightly' better people in the sense that they are usually more modest and have been kicked around and rejected a bit. So, they have more sympathy and generally are less judgmental.
I'm not sure I agree with that actually. Many ugly people are very bitter with the world and take it out, especially on more beautiful people they see as a threat. I see this especially often with women.

Maybe it doesn't apply the same to guys though. There's a lot of variance, some beautiful people carry it with grace while others act superior. Nice guys almost always tend to be lacking in masculinity and not very sexually attractive though, why they develop the complex in the first place

Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 PM

134 posts, read 214,244 times
There are truly nice guys, but there niceness has no bearing on their attractiveness to women.

Good-looking nice guy = attractive
Good-looking d-bag = attractive
Bad-looking nice guy = unattractive
Bad-looking d-bag = unattractive

For some reason there has been this myth perpetuated that a guy who isn't looking can adopt the attitude of a good-looking d-bag, exhibit "alpha" behavior or whatever, and that'll make him attractive to women.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
There are truly nice guys, but there niceness has no bearing on their attractiveness to women.

Good-looking nice guy = attractive
Good-looking d-bag = attractive
Bad-looking nice guy = unattractive
Bad-looking d-bag = unattractive

For some reason there has been this myth perpetuated that a guy who isn't looking can adopt the attitude of a good-looking d-bag, exhibit "alpha" behavior or whatever, and that'll make him attractive to women.
Yeah those guys are simply labeled creeps.

Personality is bull****. If your looks don't support your personality, society will essentially tell you your personality is not acceptable based on the way you look, and you'll be forced to adapt a meek and invisible position in society. That's the life of a beta....

Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
My husband is a nice guy. I met him and thought...he's so nice. I snapped him up really fast and have no intention of letting him go. My sister told me she wouldn't date him because he was too nice. She is on her 2nd marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships