Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:50 PM

328 posts, read 467,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Please. I've seen more than my fair share of life. Cynics are actually kind of lazy and suffer from a first-class case of confirmation bias. They develop these convoluted world views based on a few isolated incidents in their lives, and then try to apply it to everything and everybody else in life. They ignore the people and situations that don't fit their theory, instead focusing on the few things that actually do. Then, of course, because they indulge in this stupid self-selection, they miss out on the possibilities that life has in store for them. They are generally idiots, far more so than the most simpering member of an Up Up With People touring company.

The world is absolutely filled to the rafters with incredible people with brains, passion, and the ability to make others happy. It is not the fault of the world if some people are too stupid to identify them.
That's deep. Cool story too, bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,855,022 times
Well I'm with CPG on this and I've only been screwed over slightly more than average.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,935,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Does that make sense? It not only is proactively bettering your odds for finding someone, but it also helps you feel better about yourself and your life because you are being proactive about it and not just sitting around bitter over what's not happening in your life.

So, list away!
Hi Freedom,
I'm a hopelessly middle aged single mom of two. I've only lived here 2.5 years and haven't really met a lot of new people. I have a handful of friends here from my past and of course pleasant co-workers.

Weird coincidence: Yesterday I responded to a call from my church to volunteer on a steering committee for a social justice event. I've visited the church many times but never felt able to connect, thought this would help. Today a co-worker invited me to HIS church for Christmas eve and after we talked about it I realized I might really like his congregation better.

So either way, I'm thinking to expand my social circle via church.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM

570 posts, read 724,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Please. I've seen more than my fair share of life. Cynics are actually kind of lazy and suffer from a first-class case of confirmation bias. They develop these convoluted world views based on a few isolated incidents in their lives, and then try to apply it to everything and everybody else in life. They ignore the people and situations that don't fit their theory, instead focusing on the few things that actually do. Then, of course, because they indulge in this stupid self-selection, they miss out on the possibilities that life has in store for them. They are generally idiots, far more so than the most simpering member of an Up Up With People touring company.

The world is absolutely filled to the rafters with incredible people with brains, passion, and the ability to make others happy. It is not the fault of the world if some people are too stupid to identify them.
Nice post. Certain forumers on here fit this to a T.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM

328 posts, read 467,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Everybody's a gold digger. Why do you think they aren't out chasing "goodhearted" homeless people?

"love life isn't going to change greatly with an injection of cash anyway."

That is a load of crap.
I don't care what anyone here says, I agree with you 2000% Win the lotto and have your pic put in the paper or let it get out word of mouth. All the men crying about "Waaah, I can't find a chick. All women are scum!" would suddenly be inundated with scores of potential mates, and they will not care about your looks, height or other values. All of the women that think certain features hold them back will suddenly see that men are coming out the woodwork. Same principle as to why ugly old billionaires can get 22 y/o hoes to warm their beds. Sure, sure....she's with him because she likes his personality . I don't get some folks. Is it bitter to point out a common observation? Many people like money and power and status. It's a powerful motivating factor to some. Some people will bend their "principles" for security or a paper chase. They even make TV shows about it, those "baller wives" or whatever...and people eating bugs on TV to get paid. Man, some folks on here just want to shine on others and assume other people are stupid or their view point is inaccurate. But they want respect for theirs. Outstanding.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM

52,417 posts, read 52,935,398 times
As others have probably said already, just work on the basics, staying in shape, dressing well, basic grooming. Develop some interests in various subjects yadda yadda yadda.

Most importantly stop being sooooo goal orientated in meeting people. It usually happens when we least expect it. Put yourself out there, but dial down the desperation factor.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,245,517 times
Plastic surgery, there have been many men who have started a dating profile with a fake picture and got TONS of replys. Women are more superficial than men because we have a gender imballance in the USA.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM

101 posts, read 102,388 times
LighterskinNarrow NoseLong, straight hairI know for a fact I would attract more men if I had those features

Old 12-20-2013, 05:00 PM

48,635 posts, read 35,104,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I've been thinking lately that one of the most depressing things is when you are single, and yet you are sitting around not doing anything in particular to make yourself more amenable to finding a good partner.

So lately I've tried to do at least one or two small things every day that would advance me in that category, while also start to plan for slightly bigger things every once in a awhile.

For example,

Small thing: Today I'm going to go for a run, because it's a healthy thing to do for your body and mind, and because it's better to actively engage in activities than to be a lazy slob who sits around and does nothing.

Small thing: When I spend the day in town, I'm going to dress decently nice and not just lazy in sweats, because being a sloppy dress will make you less attractive in general to females.

Large thing: I'm going to begin a workout regimen to get myself in better shape and make my body much more attractive and desirable.

Large thing: I'm going to learn and get good at a skill or interest, especially something a lot of other people in this area enjoy doing socially, in order to meet more people and set myself up for success.

Does that make sense? It not only is proactively bettering your odds for finding someone, but it also helps you feel better about yourself and your life because you are being proactive about it and not just sitting around bitter over what's not happening in your life.

So, list away!
Congratulations! All of those things are great for improving yourself AND meeting someone.

I would add to stay up to date on current events so you have something to talk about. Find something you are passionate about and can make a hobby.

All these things will make you a more rounded person, give you opportunities to meet someone and make your time more enjoyable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Be yourself.
Someone will love the real you.
Nice thought, but not always true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships