Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
I know a man who was living with his girlfriend for almost 20 years. She wanted to get married and he was against it because he didn't believe in marriage or monogamy. She finally left when she realized he wasn't going to commit. He dated around for a few years and is now married to his new girlfriend .

I am perplexed by this. He was adamantly against marriage and his new wife is no where near what his long term gf was in terms of the quality of their relationship. What do you think is going on in this guy's head? I find the whole thing illogical.
Feel bad for the woman, too bad she wasted so many yrs with him. 20 yrs is a long long time to spend with someone. I know... I've been with Mrs. Chow for that long. We aren't married either, but it's a non issue for us as neither of us put much stock into it. That being said, we may get married, just so that she could receive my SS benefits if I pass before her.... but other than that....

Like I said, I'm sure that woman is kicking herself for staying so long.... sad actually.

That is one of those deal breakers, if one spouse wants marriage or kids and the other doesn't......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why did it take her 20 years to realize he wasn't going to commit? Especially after he told her so, apparently several times?
I don't get this either. The conversation about future goals and expection should have been established by the 1st year and there should be a deadline. 20 years is a lot to be wasted on just living together and not getting anything out of it other than investment of emotions, lost memories and years you'll never get back.
I'm assuming that women wanted not just marriage but also kids and she probably can't have any by now (I'm calculating that she met him in her early 20's so that mean she must now be in her 40's). I still think it's her fault for even tolerating that for so long and thinking she would change him.

Last edited by Laychick; 12-22-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
I would imagine that while he said he was "against marriage," the truth is that he was simply against marrying his previous partner, but for whatever reason, wasn't motivated to leave the relationship, either...getting something he wanted or needed out of it, while not necessarily seeking marriage. Could be with the new relationship, he wasn't getting what he wanted or needed without marriage. People are pretty self-serving, ultimately. He may well have realized that the chances of meeting two women in a row who would be willing to live with someone for decades, forgoing monogamy, were between slim and none.

I would also imagine that it's a possibility that the previous partner stuck around for as many years as she did, because for a time, she, too, was okay with an accepting of the "no marriage" dynamic. People often have changes of heart, and while possibly it didn't bother her for many years, things in her life may have reached the point where she was no longer okay with that dynamic.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Im curious why she left and what she would have "got" had they signed a marriage licence. Was she worried about some tax issue or like another poster said SS bennies?

I don't get how someone can say it was wasted time, how was it wasted unless he was poor in the sack or abusive during those 20 years? Is being worried about SS bennies at the end of life really that profound of a reason to leave someone after 20 years?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I don't get how someone can say it was wasted time, how was it wasted unless he was poor in the sack or abusive during those 20 years? Is being worried about SS bennies at the end of life really that profound of a reason to leave someone after 20 years?
Usually young women don't just want to stay with a bf because of being promised the moon and the stars and how nice is to wake up making breakfast for the guy; acting like a wife figure when she's not even close (she's only a live on gf that provides him all his needs and he can enjoy her company but nothing further than that) but to know where the relationship is heading in the near future and if it'll reach the next level.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Usually young women don't just want to stay with a bf because of being promised the moon and the stars and how nice is to wake up making breakfast for the guy; acting like a wife figure when she's not even close (she's only a live on gf that provides him all his needs and he can enjoy her company but nothing further than that) but to know where the relationship is heading in the near future and if it'll reach the next level.
What is the next level? What is further?

How is that any different than what married people are doing? Do they get the marriage licence out and worship it like an ashrae pole?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:06 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
Quote:
Why did it take her 20 years to realize he wasn't going to commit? Especially after he told her so, apparently several times?
This.^^^^

Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Agreed. Her circumstances are completely on her.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,038,446 times
There has to be way more to this...

They were together for 20 years, but she just now felt without marriage there was no commitment?

Sounds like they were committed to each other, having been together for 20 years! Whether or not married.

Breaking up because he doesn't want marriage should have happened within 5 years.

Beyond that, hard to know what he was thinking. Maybe he did not want to be married to her. Maybe he changed his mind in general after they broke up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships