Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,811,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Why should you ever give up in having a family. Men can have children up to the day they die. No real biological clock ticking away. And I have never seen a older mans children come out compromised due to their "aged" sperm.
Men do have a biological clock of sorts... it runs slower than a woman's but it's still there. As they age, it's harder to impregnate women because more sperm has abnormalities and a child conceived runs a greater risk of birth defects and autism. Downs Syndrome is the biggest threat.

That said, I agree that a man shouldn't give up if he really wants a family. There are fertility treatments to help improve his odds of father hood and tests for birth defects. PLus, there are advantages. Testosterone rates drop about 1% per year as men age. That might sound like a bad thing, but that helps make older fathers less reactive and more patient.

That just leaves one other factor. Men who want to be older fathers need to take really good care of themselves. A man in his 40s who starts a family now will be in his 60s when the kids are theoretically out of the nest. If he wants to enjoy his golden years (travel, retirement, etc) he needs to live a longer life.

Read more: When Are You Too Old To Be a Dad? | TIME.com When Are You Too Old To Be a Dad? | TIME.com

Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,904,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You haven't, but scientists who have studied this issue have. It was one of the big news items of last year.
Yep, also that new one that some women can produce eggs long after menopause. NilaJones (where has she been?)posted it I believe.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Unless you live under a totalitarian regime that controls reproduction of its citizens via mandated abortion, people are free to reproduce at any age they choose, provided they are biologically capable of doing so and have a willing partner. It doesn't really matter when you think they "should have" children.

Personally, I think it's irresponsible for people to have children after an age when they are significantly less likely to be around to help raise the child into adulthood (age 60 or so), but it doesn't really matter what I think, either. They still have the right to do so.

Men are usually able to reproduce at an older age than women. That may not be fair, but that's the biological reality. As long as they're able to, some are going to, same as some women would if the opposite were true.
However the reality is older men like older women face risks. Sure an older man may be even to still have kids when a woman his age can't, but is it a good idea to do so? The risks are greater the older a man is too.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,607,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
However the reality is older men like older women face risks. Sure an older man may be even to still have kids when a woman his age can't, but is it a good idea to do so? The risks are greater the older a man is too.
That's up to them to decide, not you or me. That's my whole point. You get to decide when you have kids. They get to decide when they have kids. Everybody wins. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,019,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, that's how it worked for me also. Always went for the older guys (around 10 years older) - I think that is a good age gap. I like experienced men who are in great shape and have their sh** together and treat me like gold. My SO still thinks I'm this young, hot thing in my 40's... lol. It's all relative.
You and I have way too much in common.

48,573 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
There are doctors who handle this, who will work with scientific facts and not personal opinion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's up to them to decide, not you or me. That's my whole point. You get to decide when you have kids. They get to decide when they have kids. Everybody wins. Funny how that works, isn't it?
But if they are older not many younger women are dying to have kids with them. I wouldn't be. Besides deciding to have kids doesn't mean they will get them and older men have to accept like older women they probably won't have kids instead of deluding themselves that young women want to date them.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM

48,573 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Yep, also that new one that some women can produce eggs long after menopause. NilaJones (where has she been?)posted it I believe.
Produce eggs? We are born with a set number of eggs, we do not produce more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
For sure! My take is that dudes are into the appearance of youth. That's why MILF's are so hot no matter their age, and why guys on OLD go for women whose ages give them away as older women, but their pix look like they're 25. I asked out a woman I'd seen around the college gym for awhile, so I thought she was a student, but she said she was 44! DAMN, if that's 44, bring 'em ON! If you don't want 'em, dude, send 'em over to me.
This, for sure. I don't care what a woman's actual age is if she's hot. I hate to call it a "youthful appearance" but that's really what it is if I'm honest about it. Some older women still have it (I recently went on a couple of dates with a woman three years older than me who could have passed for 10 years younger than me), but obviously a higher percentage of younger women do because, well, they're generally more youthful.

Besides youthful appearance, however, I'm also attracted to the wisdom and insight that often come with age. Because of this, I tend to either be attracted to women around my age (or slightly older) who look younger than they are, or younger women who have more life experience than average for their age.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
But if they are older not many younger women are dying to have kids with them.
That's why I said, "provided they are biologically capable of doing so and have a willing partner." They don't need "many younger women" to have kids with them, anyway, they only need one. If they don't find one, that's their own problem, not yours or mine. I'm perplexed as to why you care. How does this affect you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships