Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Probably like much of your relationships, you're not thinking this through.

Your phrasing things in this "I'm smarter than you" manner doesn't do you any favors in trying to sway opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Your phrasing things in this "I'm smarter than you" manner doesn't do you any favors in trying to sway opinions.
I am past trying to sway opinions. I am in negative disapproval mode. Believe what you want.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM

260 posts, read 473,241 times
I couldn't have said for sure before but I recently experienced some chemistry with someone who has some kind of physical disability (I don't know him well and don't know what it is) so for me the answer is yes.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
If the chemistry was there, absolutely.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:58 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Reason I ask is an acquaintance of mine has been asked out by a disabled man that has a decent job in an office and lives on his own, however he does have a disability. He has stunted growth (he's 5'4, she is 5'9) small hands (her hands engulf his) and while his lower extremities are fine, he can't use his arms/hands much at all. He can't reach things that are above his chest and depending on the food needs help having it cut up and lots of other misc things.

She told me he's a nice guy but his disability really bothers her and when he asked her on a date she kind of dodged answering him and wanted to think about it.
She shouldn't go out with him.

He deserves to be with a woman that isn't ashamed or embarrassed to be seen with them.

That being said, truth be told, a disabled person isn't my first choice either.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
At least the women on here are being honest. The fact is most women 85 to 90% will not date someone handicapped. They see it as a negative. There is a huge dating stigma to women dating someone handicapped. They care about what others think both friends and family. If you had a room with 100 woman maybe 5 or 10 would even go on a date with a disabled man. Sex marriage those numbers might drop as low as 2% to 3%. Being handicapped myself I see it all time. It is a deal breaker. Women want to be taken care of it is in their DNA. They just do not see a disabled man being able to do that. That is what kills me when people say you will find someone. When you are a handicapped man your dating pool drops down to almost nothing. Most women would take of a man they were already married too. But they would never start anything with a disable man because they might have to take care of him at some point. And that is just not something they want any part of if they were being honest.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are interested in someone and want to spend time with them I see no reason to let a disability stand in the way.

I often wonder how those who refuse to date anyone who they deem imperfect will feel when they have their own child who has a disability who can't get a date or doesn't have many friends because they are imperfect.....
Such an insightful post. Nice job CSD610

Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Date them? I married one. My wife is severely disabled.

Is it difficult? Yes, of course it is... sometimes very difficult. But there's never a single moment that it's not worth it, 100 times over. As hard as it sometimes is for me, it's 100 times harder for her, because she's the one who has to live every moment entirely inside that world - yet she's the one whose optimism and positive attitude keeps my spirits up when times get hard. She's the bravest person I've ever met in my life, and I'm honored that I somehow earned the privilege of being the one who gets to help her overcome some of the difficulties in her day to day life.

Others can make their own choices - and I won't judge them for it - but if I'd been prejudiced against becoming involved with someone who's disabled, I'd never have known the greatest happiness of my life.
Wonderful post Albert. One partner has a disability others can see or think of limitations.

However, what is the "disabled person," accepting and nurturing in a partner that isn't visible to all?

There can be helpers and one disability is not another. I'd caution those who lump disabled people to be more specific and learn about both the limitations and abilities of another.

Then remember to make your own list too about yourself. It takes one accident, one drunk driver, or earthquake or certain infections etc. and anyone can be a para or quadranglic. Will you be calling a divorce attorney from the ICU or Rwhab?

That being said, if some can't even tolerate thinking about what a disabled person struggles with or accomplish daily, please don't date disabled people. That person may not be able to cope with your obstacles in life as a lot of life isn't pretty. Or some may be abusive alcoholics or divorced four times or child support for six kids etc. Make sure you are the prize you think you are so when any points out where you have a weakness you can work on improving yourself as a person.

There may be less willing to date someone with a visible disability, but those in that group tend to have mastered the simple, passing things in life.

I hope you and your wife have many happy years together, Albert .

MSR

Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Reason I ask is an acquaintance of mine has been asked out by a disabled man that has a decent job in an office and lives on his own, however he does have a disability. He has stunted growth (he's 5'4, she is 5'9) small hands (her hands engulf his) and while his lower extremities are fine, he can't use his arms/hands much at all. He can't reach things that are above his chest and depending on the food needs help having it cut up and lots of other misc things.

She told me he's a nice guy but his disability really bothers her and when he asked her on a date she kind of dodged answering him and wanted to think about it.
I would, why not? If they have a kind heart and we share things in common, can laugh together. Heck yeah!!

Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Since when is 5'4 stunted growth? My boyfriend is that height. As for cutting, I have arthritis in my hands and have trouble cutting food when I am having a bad day. I don't consider that guy that disabled. To me a disabled person would be unable to live without assistance, like in a wheelchair and having an aide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships