Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times

Advertisements

My guy is very gentlemanly towards me... almost old fashion. I really enjoy it too. Of course, in return I am very ladylike towards him. It kind of goes hand-in-hand in my opinion--you know, each going out of our way to be nice to each other and make the other feel special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
My guy is very gentlemanly towards me... almost old fashion. I really enjoy it too. Of course, in return I am very ladylike towards him. It kind of goes hand-in-hand in my opinion--you know, each going out of our way to be nice to each other and make the other feel special.
Exactly. Maybe it's just because I'm older, but do young women today REALLY like being treated just like another dude?

I see the way guys treat each other and I'll take old-school over that ANY DAY!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
There's the rub. A lot of the chivalrous-type behavior that people complain about is pretty arbitrary and unnecessary in this modern world, but at the same time I certainly wouldn't want to be with a guy who didn't want to be nice to me and make me feel special. And I want him to feel special, too.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's the rub. A lot of the chivalrous-type behavior that people complain about is pretty arbitrary and unnecessary in this modern world, but at the same time I certainly wouldn't want to be with a guy who didn't want to be nice to me and make me feel special. And I want him to feel special, too.
Well, to be honest, traditional chivalrous behavior has always really been "unnecessary" but I still love that there are men (as rare as it may be) that do it assuming it's genuine.

I'm a woman, not a man. I want to be treated with respect, but I also want to be treated differently and not like "one of the guys".

Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Well, to be honest, traditional chivalrous behavior has always really been "unnecessary" but I still love that there are men (as rare as it may be) that do it assuming it's genuine.

Agreed, although I'd feel really bad if a man took of his jacket off to lay it across a puddle for me to walk across. haha

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm not going to bother re-typing that. +1, grump. That's exactly how I am, on all counts(meh...except car doors, sometimes.)

I don't do any of it for brownie points, I do it because I see it as the right thing to do. I practically don't even think about it, I just do it. It's natural.

I do always chuckle to myself though, that I always, at some point in a relationship, get a comment that they thought it would go away after some months, but it never does. Just the way I am.

You are one of very few men like this mags, I'm glad there are still some gentlemen out there.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,748 times
Thanks for the Rep, please leave your name next time.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Question for both the ladies and men on here.

Do you enjoy giving/receiving gentlemanly behavior? Do you expect it? What behaviors would you describe as a man acting like a gentleman towards a woman?

And for the men, especially, do you find yourself exhibiting this behavior when first trying to impress a woman but then sorta slacking off as the relationship grows?
I want to be treated with respect and I treat others with respect. I don't need, and it would **** me off, to be treated like a helpless hot house flower simply because of my gender.

The guys that show over the top 'gentlemanly' behavior are almost always closet creeps and control-freaks...so if someone insists on acting that way, sets off warning bells.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Agreed, although I'd feel really bad if a man took of his jacket off to lay it across a puddle for me to walk across. haha
Funny you should say that. I remember my daughter telling me when she and her bf would be out he always would make it a point to stand beside her closest to where the street is. She finally asked him why and he said "It's just good behavior for a man to stand on the outside of the sidewalk so that if a car comes by and splashes it gets on him instead of the woman".

She said she smiled, hugged and kissed him! You really don't see men putting that much thought into that kind of stuff anymore. But having talked with men, lots of guys DO genuinely respect women and having grown up with more traditional behavior ingrained in them have a difficult time figuring out just HOW to treat a woman. Is he supposed to treat her more traditionally, or JUST like another dude?

Her bf told me that it's just a part of him and if a woman seemed to be offended by it he'd decide not to date her, but then he met my daughter and says how much he loves how traditional and lady-like she is. I really hope this man becomes my SIL one day!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I want to be treated with respect and I treat others with respect. I don't need, and it would **** me off, to be treated like a helpless hot house flower simply because of my gender.

The guys that show over the top 'gentlemanly' behavior are almost always closet creeps and control-freaks...so if someone insists on acting that way, sets off warning bells.
Attitudes such as yours really do hurt good men. I certainly hope you aren't one of those "where are all the good guys?" types.

You do realize there are men that do it just because they think it's what a woman wants but is indeed how you describe and those such as my daughters bf that do it because they do respect them and view them as equals right? When I read stuff like this my heart sinks for humanity. It truly amazes me how good men so often get "punished" for just wanting to treat a woman like a lady and then men get flack for not being respectful/courteous enough. Sheesh, men are damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'm glad I'm not a young man living in today's world.

EDIT: Also, if I had a son you bet your bottom dollar I'd teach him to treat a woman in the same manners you seem to hate so much. I'd certainly feel bad for him looking for a good woman out in the dating world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships