Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Bingo.

And . . . even though it's thankfully not very common, it's also not unknown for men to become physically violent in this situation.

I'd be opposed to the idea of forcing a woman to notify the man who impregnated her (whether her husband, boyfriend, one-night-stand, or rapist) for the same reason I'm opposed to parental consent/notification laws.

And, just to toss another thought into the mix... I wonder how many women secretly have an abortion because they're pretty sure the pregnancy occurred due to an extramarital affair or via infidelity? I read a story about 15 years ago about a young engaged woman who was having an abortion shortly before the wedding. Her fiancé didn't know she was pregnant. And she was having the abortion because she was pretty sure she'd conceived during a rather horrible weekend 2 months prior when they'd had a huge fight and broken up (temporarily), and she had sex with her ex-boyfriend, who was of a different racial background.
You just reminded me of this fellow I almost met through online dating years ago. We were at the telephone stage, and he told me that if his 14-year-old daughter ever came home pregnant, he'd beat the tar out of her.

Me:

Him: Hello? You there?

Me: [cough, cough] Really?

Him: She'd be in for it, getting knocked up.

Me: Really? I mean, really? You would do that to your own daughter?

Him: Hell, yes. I didn't raise her to go spreading her legs and getting pregnant.

Me: Well, I see why your wife left you, then. I'm going to get off the phone now. I hope for your daughter's sake, it never happens.

Men like that will have no more respect for a girlfriend or wife. One more reason I stand on principle. Even though I don't have to worry about pregnancy anymore, I couldn't be with someone who thinks that way about any woman, young or old, with whom they have any kind of relationship--romantic, familial, doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Bingo.

And . . . even though it's thankfully not very common, it's also not unknown for men to become physically violent in this situation.

I'd be opposed to the idea of forcing a woman to notify the man who impregnated her (whether her husband, boyfriend, one-night-stand, or rapist) for the same reason I'm opposed to parental consent/notification laws.

And, just to toss another thought into the mix... I wonder how many women secretly have an abortion because they're pretty sure the pregnancy occurred due to an extramarital affair or via infidelity? I read a story about 15 years ago about a young engaged woman who was having an abortion shortly before the wedding. Her fiancé didn't know she was pregnant. And she was having the abortion because she was pretty sure she'd conceived during a rather horrible weekend 2 months prior when they'd had a huge fight and broken up (temporarily), and she had sex with her ex-boyfriend, who was of a different racial background.
Regarding the bolded section, while those women would certainly be motivated to keep their stellar behavior secret, they wouldn't then tell the man later. I'm pretty open minded but I might be kind of upset at that news, and, I don't know, leave?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:10 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times
Having a daughter would be so bitter sweet, shes going to be really cute as a kid until she hits 13. That's when the real nightmare begins...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Stunningly perfect examples of why a woman might choose to go just go and do it without talking to a man. Thank you ever so much for proving my point, that some men do indeed provide the motivation for silence.
I think you are a little bit confused, Lilac. Our responses are based on what we would do, IF our woman did this behind our backs. Believe me - she would deserve ALOT worse than getting tossed to the curb. Most men understand fully that current judicial system castrates men at every angle and that in the end, it is the woman that has the final decision as to what to do with couples pregnancy. Most men would also expect their SO to communicate important decisions like this, because they impact life of both boiological parents in a major way. Is disclosure so much to ask for? Or is cake eating your preferred way to take care of all important things in your life?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I do not understand the cake eating metaphor. There is no point to having cake if you can't eat it.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post

Its pure nonsense, it is not fair, just or ok with me or any other sensible person who can look at this matter in an objective manner. Those that benefit from unfair laws, rarely can. In the end, a woman getting an abortion without letting the father know, is extremely misguided in my opinion. She is using her instincts or current emotional state (and we know how solid that is) to make a decision about a life that someone else had an equal part of creating. With the law on her side, a woman can have the final choice on whether to keep the baby or abort it. The only reason to keep it quiet, is to avoid possible confrontation and to manipulate the situation. Deceive a man you are with, but keep him. That is cake eating behavior, If my woman did this to me, I would expose her to all her family and friends, and throw her out the same day I found out.
Fair? What do you call fair? The man, who doesn't have to endure the pregnancy, gets to force the woman to go through it against her will? How is that fair?

And......as far as making things fair.....what should we do so men suffer just as much physically as women do with pregnancy? Gotta keep everything even-Steven.

Get a clue, biology isn't fair.....take it up with your god if you don't like it.

Quote:
She is using her instincts or current emotional state (and we know how solid
that is) to make a decision about a life that someone else had an equal part of
creating.
Really? Are you saying women are too stupid to make decisions once they become pregnant? Once the sperm hits the egg, she needs the conservatorship of a man?

Well then, if she has an abortion without telling you, how can you blame her? After all, how can you hold her responsible for anything she does while under the influence of pregnancy? Hmmm?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,016 times
Your question of "Can I get AIDS from sharing a glass with an HIV+ girl I kissed" was so funny I was intrigued.

Ad hominem doesn't mean what you think it does, sport. You actually have posted a lot of bonehead stuff.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You just reminded me of this fellow I almost met through online dating years ago. We were at the telephone stage, and he told me that if his 14-year-old daughter ever came home pregnant, he'd beat the tar out of her.

Me:

Him: Hello? You there?

Me: [cough, cough] Really?

Him: She'd be in for it, getting knocked up.

Me: Really? I mean, really? You would do that to your own daughter?

Him: Hell, yes. I didn't raise her to go spreading her legs and getting pregnant.

Me: Well, I see why your wife left you, then. I'm going to get off the phone now. I hope for your daughter's sake, it never happens.

Men like that will have no more respect for a girlfriend or wife. One more reason I stand on principle. Even though I don't have to worry about pregnancy anymore, I couldn't be with someone who thinks that way about any woman, young or old, with whom they have any kind of relationship--romantic, familial, doesn't matter.
Wow what a disgusting man. No words can explain what to describe him as. I hope his daughter leaves the house as soon as she turns 18. At that age, the father can't do anything anymore.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Rape is rape but come on it's your goddamn husband. He should be able to see his kid...

A random rapist or what not SHOULD NOT have any rights to the child.

There is a difference between the random rapist and someones husband. Besides I am pretty sure this whole husband rape fiasco is more of feminist induced paranoia. I have never heard of it happening other than a few news stories sprinkled here and there.
Why would a mother want her children to be around someone capable of rape, even if it was her husband?

That is not the kind of man I would want influencing my children.

Rape is a violent crime, whether the victim is a stranger or a wife.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Having a daughter would be so bitter sweet, shes going to be really cute as a kid until she hits 13. That's when the real nightmare begins...
Why?
I had no friends at that age and was actually a shy, loner in school as well as getting picked on mainly by female classmates. I really had nothing to rebel against. I guess barely anyone wanting to be your friend and picking on you is better than having many friends and undergoing peer pressure and acting rebellious. I brought no trouble growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships