Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:41 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,736 times

Advertisements

She refers to me as well as his sister's boyfriend as "friend". She also introduces me to people using just my name. For example, "this is..." to which my boyfriend always follows up with "this is my girlfriend, ...". I guess the mom is a little bit in denial about her kids growing up. It doesn't bother me that much; in fact I find it amusing more than anything. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Moms can be very cunning.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Moms can be very cunning.
Huh?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
She refers to me as well as his sister's boyfriend as "friend". She also introduces me to people using just my name. For example, "this is..." to which my boyfriend always follows up with "this is my girlfriend, ...". I guess the mom is a little bit in denial about her kids growing up. It doesn't bother me that much; in fact I find it amusing more than anything. Does anyone else have experience with this?
I wouldn't worry about it so much or read too much into it. It's actually not uncommon to just introduce someone by name, rather than go into detail about how you know them. If she's introducing you to your boyfriend's grandmother, maybe it's important that she clarify you're Johnny's "friend/girlfriend" or whatever, but if it's just someone she ran into, a neighbor who stopped by, then I think it's unimportant that they know who you are, more than a courtesy, "This is Mary."

She also may find it awkward to introduce you as the girlfriend. Have you been dating her son long? Are things serious? It's also possible she may know things about your son that you don't... I have to wonder if maybe he's gone through girlfriends quickly before and she doesn't want to bother explaining that to people.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
My husband's grandmother introduced me as "This is [grandson's] friend, [my name]" up until the day we were engaged. I'm not sure if it was an era thing, or what--it definitely wasn't meant to be insulting, as she and I loved each other from the first time we met.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My husband's grandmother introduced me as "This is [grandson's] friend, [my name]" up until the day we were engaged. I'm not sure if it was an era thing, or what--it definitely wasn't meant to be insulting, as she and I loved each other from the first time we met.
You bet it WAS meant to be insulting! Subtle punches under the belt!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I want to rep you, but I can't.

I have to loosen up my rep giving!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Good point! Could have very well just been an era thing. Didn't they call it "going steady" back then, rather than having a boyfriend or girlfriend? And before that it was "courting" and you really didn't many titles until you were officially engaged.

This isn't to say that in the OP's case it wasn't a snub (who knows), but I think you're right that there are more possibilities out there than some are considering.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 16,688 times
she's probably just considers you just another one of his g/fs and doesn't want to think much of you unless it becomes more serious, then she will be forced to consider you as more. Some mothers are very protective of sons.... I've had boyfriends who are real mommies boys and see any female that sees their son as a threat to their relationship, and they are very picky with what woman is good enough to be with such a "perfect" man as their son.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm not sure what the rolly eyes is about. I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it absolutely wasn't insulting. She was the first one to welcome me to the family, inviting me to Thanksgiving dinner after we'd been dating a month, giving me Christmas presents and asking me to stay at her house during breaks from college, etc. Calling me her grandson's "friend" was just a cute quirk. She knew I was his girlfriend, she treated me like his girlfriend, and the word she used had nothing to do with how she thought of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships