Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times

Advertisements

Honestly, probably not. I have very few deal breakers, but smoking is one of them. I would maybe give her a chance if she promised to quit for good, but if I found out that she was still smoking behind my back, I would break up with her and not give her another chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want Jessie's girl View Post
I would never date a woman who smokes. Ultimate turnoff.

15 posts, read 15,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Even if she quits, she's still the kind of person who would start smoking. Given the abundant knowledge available today, starting smoking means the person is seriously conformist/vulnerable to Peer Pressure - or just really, really stupid. I'd consider smoking to be symptomatic of too many other deficiencies in a person. Dumb? Conformist? Low class? Self-destructive?

Who needs somebody like that?
Not necessarily. There are/were plenty of very successful people who do or did smoke.

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
totally. as a person who quit smoking, that'd be pretty hypocritical of me not to. Either way, smoking doesn't bother me.
So what? I smoked too, many many years ago. But I probably quit 5 times...and even then snuck a cig now and then, before I finally quit for real. I quit for ME. And that is the only way it works. Saying you would quit for someone else is like saying "date me! I swear I'll lose 50 pounds for you!" . Right. Only a fool would believe something like that.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want Jessie's girl View Post
Not necessarily. There are/were plenty of very successful people who do or did smoke.
President Obama being the first the comes to mind. You can be successful and smoke, you just can't smoke and date me

Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So what? I smoked too, many many years ago. But I probably quit 5 times...and even then snuck a cig now and then, before I finally quit for real. I quit for ME. And that is the only way it works. Saying you would quit for someone else is like saying "date me! I swear I'll lose 50 pounds for you!" . Right. Only a fool would believe something like that.
Well the thread doesn't say the person is quitting for the other person. I agree though, quitting for another person never works.. but if a person was in the process of quitting before they actually met the other person I see no reason to discriminate.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,997 times
I smoke a cigar with the bro's maybe once every year but I hate it so much afterwards I have to change my clothes and take a shower. I scrub my fingers expecially hard to get the scent off. So now I wouldn't date a smoker to begin with I find them annoying. Always having to wait for them to smoke and taking in all that 2nd hand smoke.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well, he is an unsuccessful president :P
See, I just KNEW I was going to get a comment like that

I was referring to personal success.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,187 times
Sure why not. It's no different health wise in dating someone who eats junk food, and is overweight, promising to eat better- both detrimental to your health.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
See, I just KNEW I was going to get a comment like that

I was referring to personal success.
This is a message board, that's necessary comment.

Either way, I made it jokingly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships