Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times

Advertisements

No, quiet and calm home here with the rare exception of a hormonal swing with teenage daughter! I do know people who's home seems to be in a constant state of chaos, noise, and tension. I'm just not made for that atmosphere - would not do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I'm not a screamer, and I raised my kids to be respectful. When they'd yell at me, I'd do my best to not yell back (okay, so I was only partially successful! ). I couldn't live in a household with either silent tension or loud, screaming fights. Home should be your haven from the outside world, right? Now it's just me and my 19-year-old son, because my daughter is away at college. We don't agree on everything, but we don't have those out-of-control crazy fights like you see on Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
We don't live together completely *yet*, but we sometimes do get on each other's nerves. At this point, we live together on weekends and holidays. Soon, we're going to get a place together. But, isn't it normal to have some dissent? We're not carbon copies of each other, so we will disagree at times. I'm okay with that, as long as he does what I say all the time. LOL, just kidding ,

Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
We don't live together completely *yet*, but we sometimes do get on each other's nerves. At this point, we live together on weekends and holidays. Soon, we're going to get a place together. But, isn't it normal to have some dissent? We're not carbon copies of each other, so we will disagree at times. I'm okay with that, as long as he does what I say all the time. LOL, just kidding ,

This sounds a lot like my own situation. It seems to me that I remember a thread once about being married, but with two (very close) but seperate houses. In my mind, that would be a super duper of a deal, but just not very realistic or affordable. But we get along pretty well most of the time, and I consider myself blessed to have her in my life.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 PM

36 posts, read 100,958 times
Although I am not much of a TV watcher, I suspect the reason these families are on tv is because they are an exception, not the norm. Think about it, because plane crashes are so rare, when they do crash the media is all over them.

I think most homes are not strained and angry; however, that said, it does seem many families put strain on themselves by overloading their schedule and budget.

All of our friends and family have very content homes. As for hubby and I, we had a happy home when our kids were being raised, and we continue to be happy now that they are grown and gone. We enjoy life in general and enjoy people.

Currently our home is smaller than some of the trophy houses closets! We live in about 200 square feet of space, very cozy. So it isn't the size of the place it is how you make it a home.

I think most people have fairly decent homes and the screamers are the exception.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Beagle View Post
Although I am not much of a TV watcher, I suspect the reason these families are on tv is because they are an exception, not the norm. Think about it, because plane crashes are so rare, when they do crash the media is all over them.

I think most homes are not strained and angry; however, that said, it does seem many families put strain on themselves by overloading their schedule and budget.

All of our friends and family have very content homes. As for hubby and I, we had a happy home when our kids were being raised, and we continue to be happy now that they are grown and gone. We enjoy life in general and enjoy people.

Currently our home is smaller than some of the trophy houses closets! We live in about 200 square feet of space, very cozy. So it isn't the size of the place it is how you make it a home.

I think most people have fairly decent homes and the screamers are the exception.
Ooh, I don't know that I agree that most people have fairly decent homes ... I did spend many years (until recently) asking "what is normal?" because I was living with someone I felt was manufacturing conflict and was always angry. I also have a very successful aunt - I've mentioned her before, 7 figure income - who is a tense screamer type.

In addition to this, my daughter is in a very low income school (I've talked about this on different forums ... we moved here late and the elementary school for our neighborhood was full). These kids seem to come from homes with a lot of conflict. My daughter just said that the mom of a girl in her class just "smacked her (the child) in the head for no reason" - because the mom is "having another baby" - you know, good reason.

And just as one more example, my stepfather, who is really nice, apparently blows up a lot. He just has some anger issues, PTSD, etc. I've only seen it once when he was driving and went nuts so I took away his car keys.

My point really is that these explosive environments I'm describing really cross socioeconomic categories. I *don't know* what is the norm, or what percentage of households are peaceful versus highly volatile. But, I have no basis to say that "most" are peaceful and loving or even that "most" middle class homes or even upper class homes or for that matter lower income homes are peaceful and loving.

For me, I decided that a tense, stressful home environment was unhealthy and inappropriate and unnecessary.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:35 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
I think all families have tension at times - some more than others. My life is now pretty much exactly like Diamond D - very stressless - as I live alone but have a good social life and alone time has always been important to me with some interruptions to be with people; actually my calendar is pretty full as much as I want it to be, that is.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
well, I no longer live at home (I live ALONE, thank god, so the only conflict is in my head, hah), but when I did... my dad is what you would call a "nitpicker." get a few beers in him and he'll start picking on you because he thinks it's funny. the only problem is it's not funny at all. It's extremely hurtful. then there's the times when he yells about extremely stupid things. things that in the grand scheme of things don't matter and never will.

things are fine if he just stays in HIS room and watches HIS TV. when he tries to intermingle with the rest of us, it gets ugly.

I think a lot of my confidence issues stem from him, and I have just in the last couple years (i'm 26 now) been able to start building my confidence back up. not good.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Pretty mellow around our house. Interesting, when I'm peaceful, its catchy.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
The average day at my house is great, I have the kind of family that laughs and jokes but help out one another on their own. Yesterday we got up together and snuggled on the couch with our coffee till wife left for work and the kids went to school, kids got home at 3pm and vacuumed the living room, swept and mopped the kitchen and put the tree up before I got home so that we would have time to go out to eat together and to a movie. My sons are very close and when my youngest said he needed a new watch for Christmas my middle son ran out and got the exact one he was looking at, they have always bought each other gifts for birthdays and Christmas so anyway its a sweet life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships