Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times

Advertisements

Getting married in your 20s (or teens!) is extremely rare where I live. I only know of one example, and they were high school sweethearts who had been together 8 years when they married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Most women aren't. But there are some young women who go on the warpath with the bf to get that diamond ring. I've seen the tantrums, the pleading, the blackmail, the drama... Most women would have more pride and self-worth than to go through all that for a guy who clearly isn't interested in the same kind of commitment. But there are a few who will still do whatever it take to wring a marriage proposal out of their bf. And the splashy wedding etc. seem to be an intrinsic part of this peculiar syndrome. I've never seen woman over 30 go through all that just to get married...
Right, a few. It's a fringe phenomenon, nothing you can generalize to be a broad trend or a common experience.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:09 PM

131 posts, read 148,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here: And here: You not only gave narcissistic reasons for people choosing the partners they do, you said those reasons disgust you.
Sure.. but show me where I said "everyone".

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM

131 posts, read 148,848 times
Quote:
Right, a few. It's a fringe phenomenon, nothing you can generalize to be a broad trend or a common experience.
So what CAN you generalize to be a broad trend or common experience miss mind-reader? I would love to know.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
They're also irrelevant to women who don't want kids, and there are quite a few of those.
I wonder about this. Broadly, the question is whether child-free people operate under altogether different psychological constructs than those who wish to become parents (or who are already parents). My impression is that the answer is "no". That is, the basic rubrics of attraction, of timing of major decisions in life and so forth, are essentially the same. The reason, I think, is that the genetic predisposition that so guides our preferences is geared towards reproduction. This impetus remains operative whether or not our conscious preferences are pro-natalist or anti-natalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
The midwest is brutal. I think there are either geographic issues involved with the OP's views, or he's just posting to rile people.
"Brutal" is a bit of an exaggeration, but broadly I agree. The Midwest - outside of the cores of the principal cities or the college-towns, remains mired in the cultural idiom of the 1950s. The racism and gender inequality is mostly gone, but the "family-oriented" atmosphere - in the most stodgy and benighted sense - remains operative. Again, I can not cite overt pressure to get married and to have kids, but there is strong implicit pressure. If "everyone is doing it", transforming their lives from baggage-free singledom to staid and restrained family life, where does that leave the remaining stalwarts? This is implicit peer pressure. There are no imprecations or snide remarks, no casual jabs. But who wants to be left behind? Who wants to be literally the only single person in an office of 50?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM

240 posts, read 240,474 times
Quote:
No, of course not. Even though there are reality shows about it...aaaaaand even though probably every male on this forum can relate a similar story.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
No, of course not. Even though there are reality shows about it...aaaaaand even though probably every male on this forum can relate a similar story.
And we all know reality shows fairly represent....reality.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 PM

240 posts, read 240,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
And we all know reality shows fairly represent....reality.

But you can't even make a reality show unless you can attract thousands of people willing to debase themselves for their 15 minutes of fame, so they can be screened for just the right fit.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Where i grew up this is true most were married by the time they hit 30. Where I live now it's not uncommon for people in their 30s to be single or married at one point and now divorced. I think I've encountered more happily single people than happily married people. Take your time.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Where i grew up this is true most were married by the time they hit 30. Where I live now it's not uncommon for people in their 30s to be single or married at one point and now divorced. I think I've encountered more happily single people than happily married people. Take your time.
There's definitely a geographic component to it. It may relate to class differences, too, idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships