Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

Actually I went through that in my early 20s. I got a lot more crap about being single back then than I do now. Of course it might have had something to do with the crowd I was in too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
Do you find there is more pressure on one gender to get married and settle down after 30? Or is the pressure about equal?

Now that I'm over 30 a lot of my friends are rushing into serious relationships and many are getting married or already married. It sucks for me because I still enjoy playing the field and going out on the weekends. Its becoming more difficult as I have very few unattached friends now. What surprised me is the speed of this change. Basically I went from having loads of single friends to only a few in less than 2 years.

I still have no interest in settling down, marriage or kids anytime soon.

I don't know what it is about age 30, but it seems like people have some kind of complex with that age. A lot of women have meltdowns when they turn 30. Especially if they are still single. I think this is ridiculous. And all the 27-29 year old women freaking out and feverishly looking for a partner before it is "too late" as if you become a senior citizen on your 30th birthday.

Your thoughts?
Haven't you heard? "50 is the new 40, 40 is new 30", (maybe just in Hollywood and other similar environs). 30 is definitely not the new 20 however...in my opinion it is a pivotal point in a young adults life and is a time to take a good like at the future. Again, just my opinion.

In real life, for some women in their 30's the may feel that their careers are finally on an 'upward trajectory' but they may still very much want to be married and may plan to have children in their 30's.To give some perspective, all of my children were born before I turned 35. Every young lady and gentleman have their own preferences and will try to do what is best for them, whether it's getting married in their 30's and beginning families or abiding by destiny and a roll of the dice and make the best of their circumstances.

If and when my children begin (or not) to have children I will (hopefully) be in good shape physically and mentally to be of some assistance. My grandparents were deceased long before I was even born so I would like very much to be a part of their lives.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:29 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,564 times
I don't feel pressured at all, but I would like some companionship in my life.

I'm 30.

I never dated in my twenties, I was awkward and traveled to much. I gotta say though, being 30 has so far been the best time of my life.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:34 PM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I don't feel pressured at all, but I would like some companionship in my life.

I'm 30.

I never dated in my twenties, I was awkward and traveled to much. I gotta say though, being 30 has so far been the best time of my life.
30's are great... the 20's a way way overrated... I would say that the 30 and 40's are probably the best...but who knows, maybe the 50's are the best... I haven't got there yet, so I can't say for sure.........

Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
30's are great... the 20's a way way overrated... I would say that the 30 and 40's are probably the best...but who knows, maybe the 50's are the best... I haven't got there yet, so I can't say for sure.........
They're all the best. It just depends on what you do with them.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I met my husband at 25 and got married at 28 - so I'm not sure how I would have felt if I had been single when I turned 30. I know that some of my friends did flip out about being single at 30 and some didn't. However, in the defense of one of my friends - she and her boyfriend had moved in together a few weeks before her 30th birthday. She though they were going to get engaged and he broke up with her a couple weeks after she gave up her apartment and moved in with him! She met her husband within the next year or 2. And it wasn't a panic relationship or anything - anyone who has ever seen them together can see how perfect they are for each other!

I don't think 30 is as big of a deal for men since you can have children much later in life - although it's not necessarily ideal. However, I have a feeling that most people start to evaluate their life at 30. It's the first milestone after becoming an adult, really. I don't really consider 20 to be an adult yet - but that's just me.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:20 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
OP - I noticed what you are describing when I hit the early 30s as well.
I don't date with an agenda so I just continued to enjoy living my life, with or without a partner.
I noticed many married a guy who was ready at the same time and fit the bill "on paper". The marriages seem ok but none were gaga about their SO. That was their choice and they got the children out of it they planned.

Do what is right for you. I wanted a long happy marriage without and not about a plan.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM

131 posts, read 148,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
After 50 your body turns on you. So I doubt 50's is the best.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
After 50 your body turns on you. So I doubt 50's is the best.
LOL.. well, the body starts doing that in your late 30's for a lot of people.... I know I'm not balancing back as fast as I used to from long work weeks and things like that (44)...

I really meant more spiritually and mentally... you get to a better place in a lot of ways when you get older, you have a little better understanding of life and you get better at letting unimportant things go.... stuff of that nature....

Less angst than when say 24........

Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Do you find there is more pressure on one gender to get married and settle down after 30? Or is the pressure about equal?

Now that I'm over 30 a lot of my friends are rushing into serious relationships and many are getting married or already married. It sucks for me because I still enjoy playing the field and going out on the weekends. Its becoming more difficult as I have very few unattached friends now. What surprised me is the speed of this change. Basically I went from having loads of single friends to only a few in less than 2 years.

I still have no interest in settling down, marriage or kids anytime soon.

I don't know what it is about age 30, but it seems like people have some kind of complex with that age. A lot of women have meltdowns when they turn 30. Especially if they are still single. I think this is ridiculous. And all the 27-29 year old women freaking out and feverishly looking for a partner before it is "too late" as if you become a senior citizen on your 30th birthday.

Your thoughts?
If you think it is bad now, wait until your friends have kids. That comes in a big sudden wave too. That'll really change your life if you still happen to be single.

As far as the question, there's more pressure on women I think, because of biological clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships