Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

I one time dated a girl who wasn't quite my type. I was embarressed to have her around and show her to my family. I just kind of always thought that I wanted someone hotter. The second I got the opportunity to dump her I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I don't have a physical appearances "type" per se. I'm continually surprised by who I'm attracted to, in that regard.

But what attracts me to a person in terms of what they're actually like, well that's pretty unchanging. I prefer iconoclasts, people who don't go with the flow - but who also aren't bucking things just for the sake of being a dick, too. Kindness and regard for others are musts.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I one time dated a girl who wasn't quite my type. I was embarressed to have her around and show her to my family. I just kind of always thought that I wanted someone hotter. The second I got the opportunity to dump her I did.
How nice for her. But I'm talking about someone who you do find attractive, just not really your type.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
How nice for her. But I'm talking about someone who you do find attractive, just not really your type.
I've done that too, I got bored after a short time.

I now only date girls that I find very hot and that I have a very good connection with and with shared interests. If not I stay single and don't waste my time.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Notice the dichotomy, here. Some guys don't think in these terms. They'd say, "If she's not my type, how would I be attracted to her?" It's so much more about the physical with most guys.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
I don't have a physical type but I have a personality type I'd prefer. Is it possible to go against my personality type? Yes, but not likely.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Notice the dichotomy, here. Some guys don't think in these terms. They'd say, "If she's not my type, how would I be attracted to her?" It's so much more about the physical with most guys.
Yes, but "I think she's kinda cute, but she doesn't blow my mind" and "Eww, I'm embarrassed to be seen with her" are not quite the same thing. lol

Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
very true. guys do tend to be attracted to the physical traits first, and that is unfortunate for them.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Yes, we all know that looks aren't everything. Let's say you meet someone who's interested in you who has a lot of qualities that you find attractive. Let's say that the person is also physically attractive, but just not what you usually go for. If you've been obsessed with blondes all your life and always imagined yourself with a blonde, would it be fair to "settle" for a brunette if you know that your love for blondes is so deeply ingrained that you'll never EVER really stop lusting for blondes? (No, this isn't about Elliot Rodger.) I'm just asking whether it's possible to go against your type and truly be happy with that decision. What do you think?
Honestly, drop all the external requirements. Ok (maybe the part where the guy keeps his health).

Most times when we meet people we're very compatible with, has nothing to do with looks and has everything to do with personality and how well you two mesh. Pheromones is also a determining factor on whether or not you'll ever find the guy attractive.

I hold onto standards as to how I'm being treated in the courtship and the type of partner I want, as in life goals, values, etc. But the external extremities? Don't matter!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
No, no, no.

There is your "type" in terms of physical and there is your "type" in terms of personality. Those are two different things for both males and females. For both male and female, desirable personality traits can mitigate being less attractive in terms of the body.

But there does have to be a base level of attraction. You're probably going to ignore someone who is a 1 in your eyes in terms of their body despite them having some personality traits that might otherwise interest you.

Again this is a female on this site trying to claim moral superiority. There is nothing immoral or indicative of inferior personal evolution about being sexually attracted to some people and not being sexually attracted to others. Why pretend that you do not experience sexual desire? What is the point? None that I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships