Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:21 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

There must be reasons why people reject you. Find out and work on that.
Maybe you need to see a therapist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
Any foolproof strategies on forgetting or erasing someone from your memory?
Not foolproof, but here are a few:

Time

Distance

Activities

Meeting other people

Alcohol

[ok, not that last one...]

Old 06-29-2014, 01:42 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,692 times
The brain, what a wonderful thing. You know how it works, you repeat a thought, activity, whatever it is a few times and then your brain is kind of re-routed to connect those things together...this persons face equals that memory, this song equals this memory...etc etc etcetera...In other words, you trained yourself to have this reaction to him, so now you have to untrain yourself.
Everyone here has probably had the same issue, including myself. What sucks is, its been a year and I'm still finding him popping into my head at weired times...lovely.
It doesn't mean I'm going to die alone, or that I'm never going to love again, it does mean to me that I need to wait a little bit before trying to get someone else into my hung up state. And I will when I'm ready.
I bet you will too, it just takes time, like they always say.
You will be alright, its not going to be forever...just take it a little at a time, and then before you know it, you'll be where you feel better.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,850,263 times
Quote:
I'll admit I'm weak. I have been single for a long while and pains me more when a guy cancels on me. Or rejects me. I feel miserable. Lonely and depressed. More like doomed i'll never find someone to love me. I don't want to die alone. I just want these feelings and emotions leave me.
Don't emotionally invest and find your answer early. If you are a woman and you like a guy, make it known before you get attached to him at all.

If it is much later, and you are dumped, then just counter that with thinking about the good times and life experiences you had. I have never been upset, at least that upset about being dumped.

If you get rejected in mass quantity (like me), then you chalk it up to being a less attractive guy and being part of the game. If you're a woman who gets rejected in mass quantity, then that is a more unique situation, I'll have to get back to you with that answer.

But basically, if you get too torn up over someone you don't even know that well, then you're just quite simply screwed. Life and people and relationships are about turnover and finding the next best thing. If you are not accustomed to moving on, life will steamroll you.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Quote:
I'll admit I'm weak. I have been single for a long while and pains me more when a guy cancels on me. Or rejects me. I feel miserable. Lonely and depressed. More like doomed i'll never find someone to love me. I don't want to die alone. I just want these feelings and emotions leave me.
Nope, no way to force it, the only thing you can do is fill your life with friends and other people and other activities. Try things with other people you've never done before. I had a guy friend take me to a driving range and teach me how to hold the club and I accomplished something I never did before. He said he was going and I just asked if I could go with him. While both of us are good cooks, my SIL and I are going to take a cooking course. I'm looking into going back to advanced art school. I enjoy doing things with my 14 year nephew, his first college basketball game, his first concert and teaching him to play pool....and so forth. I don't sit home and dwell on what's not there I'm out taking advantage of what's there.

You are in a state of inaction and so you are stuck in a specific time and place and the only thing that will change that is action.

I also caution you that if you met someone you are interested in your desperation about not wanting to die alone, loneliness and depression may be shinning through loud and clear and that's why you have rejections and cancellations. People like people who are happy without someone else and they are an added benefit not the be all end all of your happiness -they want a date not a project.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Move on with life. There is a lot of truth in the "fake it till you make it" philosophy. After a certain point in time, you're not just going through the motions of putting somebody out of your mind...you actually will have.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:

The fact that you have to erase someone you've never met or barely know from your memory is the problem. They shouldn't effect you like that.

It seems like you are projecting onto strangers what you want, "they will be the one, they will relieve your loneliness, without this person I will never be loved".

That's ALOT to put on a stranger! You need to get yourself happy being alone, so you're not looking at each date as some sort of salvation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
The brain, what a wonderful thing. You know how it works, you repeat a thought, activity, whatever it is a few times and then your brain is kind of re-routed to connect those things together...this persons face equals that memory, this song equals this memory...etc etc etcetera...In other words, you trained yourself to have this reaction to him, so now you have to untrain yourself.
Everyone here has probably had the same issue, including myself. What sucks is, its been a year and I'm still finding him popping into my head at weired times...lovely.
It doesn't mean I'm going to die alone, or that I'm never going to love again, it does mean to me that I need to wait a little bit before trying to get someone else into my hung up state. And I will when I'm ready.
I bet you will too, it just takes time, like they always say.
You will be alright, its not going to be forever...just take it a little at a time, and then before you know it, you'll be where you feel better.
Pretty much. A d the revaluation that you're past it can come at the strangest times. Lol. To this day, I have a memory of a loss from long ago. It tore me apart. Got the scars to prove it. I will never forget that face, and it is linked to so many parts of my brain, it triggers on next to anything. But I made friends with it, and now, it helps guide me instead of attacking me. Sometimes, its best not to fight to much. You might be beating a friend to death in the dark. Turn on the lights before you get to shooting.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Any foolproof strategies on forgetting or erasing someone from your memory?
Find a hobby. Keep yourself busy. Learn about what interests you. Focus on taking good care of your health. Engage in activities that nourish you and inspire you with new passions in life.

In other words, first focus on what makes you happy. When you're happy, you will meet people who resonate with you along your wavelength.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 PM

81 posts, read 190,379 times
Wow you people commenting are mean.. Geese! Who hasn't thought about this?
Like "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"

Who hasn't wanted to erase memories?
I heard taking drugs can kill brain cells..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships