Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 PM

103 posts, read 100,804 times

Advertisements

At a party freshman year, I met this very beautiful girl and we hit it off. I’m from Indiana and she is from Brooklyn, and came to IU because, well, I guess she got sick of NY. Like she’s cool and we just razz each other. She, and this is what I love about her oddly enough, can cuss up a storm like a machine gun. IDK I’ve never been a fan of the girls who are afraid to cuss. Anyway, Over Christmas she came home with me for a week before heading back home and then I went to her place for Spring Break. My family HATES her, she was very sweet to them( but alas a few cusses slipped out). I've told my family I’m the one dating her, but they don’t care, they want me with a “ Midwestern Girl”. This is all I hear about is how awful she is and her mouth and how long distance relationships don't work( now that it's summer I won't see her until school starts but we do video chat every day so that helps. Parents of C-D: who's right and what do I do? Just FYI, a buddy of mine is dating a girl from Guadalajara, talk about long distance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Why does anybody have to be "right"? Your parents don't like her, and I probably wouldn't be too impressed either based on her vocabulary. They don't have to, nor do they need to change their minds.

You don't really expect a girl you meet as a freshman to still be The One when you're a senior, do you? Have some fun, keep your options open, and for pete's sake, don't bring her home again.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why does anybody have to be "right"?
Why do they have to be in my ear all the time bashing her? If they kept their opinions to themselves, I would have no problem, but they don't.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 PM

ok, so she uses some NSFW language. Who doesn't?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why does anybody have to be "right"? Your parents don't like her, and I probably wouldn't be too impressed either based on her vocabulary.
But see that's all they're focused on, not that she's smart, funny, motivated, making me happy.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
At a party freshman year, I met this very beautiful girl and we hit it off. I’m from Indiana and she is from Brooklyn, and came to IU because, well, I guess she got sick of NY. Like she’s cool and we just razz each other. She, and this is what I love about her oddly enough, can cuss up a storm like a machine gun. IDK I’ve never been a fan of the girls who are afraid to cuss. Anyway, Over Christmas she came home with me for a week before heading back home and then I went to her place for Spring Break. My family HATES her, she was very sweet to them( but alas a few cusses slipped out). I've told my family I’m the one dating her, but they don’t care, they want me with a “ Midwestern Girlâ€. This is all I hear about is how awful she is and her mouth and how long distance relationships don't work( now that it's summer I won't see her until school starts but we do video chat every day so that helps. Parents of C-D: who's right and what do I do? Just FYI, a buddy of mine is dating a girl from Guadalajara, talk about long distance
Dude you're in college.
Find your balls and man up.

They may not like her but first of all you're dating her so only you should like her and second of all she probably won't be the woman you marry anyways.

Learn how to use your selective hearing, I do it with my mom all the time. Growing up I don't recall her every asking me to clean but I do remember her saying yes to things I wanted to do, don't recall any of the no's or the yelling I bet happened after that yes I heard somehow was a no.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,190 times
When I was in college, there were a few times that I had to deal with distance and being out of the country. There was no skype, or email etc, just letters that took 7-10 days and phone calls that cost $2/minute. We survived. I mean eventually we broke up for other reasons, but that was after we were reunited.

It's a shame your family doesn't like her. I think all you can do, before you get angry and tell them off, is have a quiet talk and just tell them she means a lot to you. They don't need to understand it to respect it. When they disparage her, they disparage you and it's hurting you. Ask them to quit making comments and if they do, just leave the room. Stunned silence is often a more powerful weapon than direct confrontation.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They may not like her but first of all you're dating her so only you should like her and second of all she probably won't be the woman you marry anyways.
Agreed!

Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
ok, so she uses some NSFW language. Who doesn't?
Plenty of people....

Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
Quote:
Why do they have to be in my ear all the time bashing her? If they kept their opinions to themselves, I would have no problem, but they don't.
Sounds like part of the problem is you want them to be over the moon excited about her like you are and they could not be less excited. I suspect that even if they shut their mouths and pretended she didn't even exist you wouldn't be much happier--you would still be looking for that validation they see all the things in her you do.

And to be fair--you are welcome to make up your own mind about her... but so are they. Your girlfriend has demonstrated that she has a potty mouth and doesn't have the self control or social skills to know when to control it. Clearly she can't differentiate between being with buddies at a club at 2 AM and with a boyfriend's parents and the appropriate behavior required for each. I wouldn't be impressed either. If your girlfriend wants to make a better impression, I suggest she send a hand-written note of apology for her behavior and try to get things off on a better foot with your mom. Please keep in mind that statistically this woman is unlikely to be the one you marry. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships