Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Man, what a dismal post.

Please explain. I busted my @ss to become successful, because my first love told me she had no respect for me, because where I'm at now, she was at and beyond 5 years ago. Someone else may not be fine with my success, but I'm very happy with what I've personally accomplished. Even more so of where I was 5 years ago and moving back in with my Mother. I took what she said as motivation to improve myself, and what I discovered is some people flat out get left behind. Just as easily as I was left behind, I've also left people behind as well. Life is constantly evolving and changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Most of my friends met their spouses in their 20s too, which might explain why so many of them are now divorced.

I believe that the older you get, the harder it becomes to find compatibility, but mainly because you have a much better idea of who you're compatible with. Young people are less likely to thing about such things because they're too focused on looks and chemistry. It's only after they've been married a few years that they discover that love doesn't conquer all.

The older we get, the more experience we gain. You can call that baggage if you wish. But I see experience as a plus, not a minus. As for becoming too set in your ways, another way of looking at it is people gain a clearer idea of what they want, what they don't want, when to compromise, and when not to. When someone describes someone else as being too set in their ways, it makes me immediately ask "are you wanting to change them?"

And as far as authentic relationships go, they may be harder to find. But I think your chances of having one after you do find someone actually go up. Because when you're older, you're less likely to play the games young people play. You and the other person know what it is each of you wants and doesn't want.
I happen to agree very much with the bolded.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Please explain. I busted my @ss to become successful, because my first love told me she had no respect for me, because where I'm at now, she was at and beyond 5 years ago. Someone else may not be fine with my success, but I'm very happy with what I've personally accomplished. Even more so of where I was 5 years ago and moving back in with my Mother. I took what she said as motivation to improve myself, and what I discovered is some people flat out get left behind. Just as easily as I was left behind, I've also left people behind as well. Life is constantly evolving and changing.

That's cool, man. I don't think there was any criticism of you there. Just that it was a sad outlook. Not necessarily incorrect (I think you made some good points), just sad.

I'm a bit jaded and cynical at relationships. I don't like it, but it's where I am. That makes me sad as well.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's cool, man. I don't think there was any criticism of you there. Just that it was a sad outlook. Not necessarily incorrect (I think you made some good points), just sad.

I'm a bit jaded and cynical at relationships. I don't like it, but it's where I am. That makes me sad as well.
It makes me sad at times too, but you know what, that's my reality (). My friends who are in relationships are always like you should get out more and try new things. They aren't wrong by what they're saying, but something that doesn't seem fun to me, is being busy from sun up till sun down 7 days a week. I tend to be busier when I'm in a relationship, because that's what I tend to like to do. A partner, or even a potential partner, is going to push me to do more. Trying many activities by myself is not my idea of fun. I can admit that I'm a mixture of introverted and extroverted.

Our sad look does have some truth to it though. If you are seeking more you have to be able to provide more as well.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
It was dramatically different from 35 to 40.

At 35, I was still dating men who were single, never married, like myself. The future was viewed as starting a new life together, were it to go that far. The possibility of a family was still there for both of us. It was not any different than dating in the 20s.

After 40, the men who were available and who I dated were increasingly divorced, involved in the lives of their teenaged children, had possible caretaker responsibilities of aging parents or were aging themselves and looking for a shoulder to cry on or a caretaker. Many of them also have a difficult time cutting the cord from the previous relationship. Having a family was off the table because they already had all the children they could support. I have had difficulty finding someone who wants to start a new chapter or adventure with someone new. The never married seem to also be set in their ways around this point.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I wasn't trying to criticize you and while you make some valid points, my gut thought after reading your post was it just sounded bleak and depressing......

I guess I'm trying to see things from a differing perspective as I have a tendency to view things from a darker perspective.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
For me it was 30. After I turned 30, all the dates simply disappeared.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One thing I hear pretty consistently is how 40 becomes this cutoff, the age where women suddenly become invisible to men. I personally don't believe that, but a lot of these women did. I've also met men who said the same thing about 50, that once they turned 50, women stopped paying attention to them. I haven't reached 40 yet. And while dating in my 30s is very different than it was in my 20s, I don't remember it being a sudden change.
When people complain about feeling invisible and not getting the looks they did in their college days, what many people forget is that there are just plainly fewer people available to look at us. If people married at 18, 25 year olds would feel invisible.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times
At What Age Did You Feel Dating Changed Dramatically?

What's your experience been?
Way more older guys were approaching me which I found gross. As well as ironic since they'd be defensiveness/antagonistic about me rejecting them for their age when they were pursuing me for my age. It seemed their notion was it's okay for them to find my age desirable but not okay for me to find their age undesirable.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM

362 posts, read 560,114 times
Haven't experienced being invisible yet... and I'm 46. Maybe when I hit 50, if I don't take care of myself. and stop having a personality.

So far I've never felt like there's a shortage of dates, dates that are relationship material are less common, but always can find a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships