Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times

Advertisements

well, there is a cute girl that I see at work. She does not work in my company but rather the adjacent company (it's a business complex). We have exchanged glances several times and smiled, but that's about it. Always wanted to approach but i'm not quite sure how to do this as I've always done the online dating thing which is much more direct OR if i've talked to someone it's because I knew them through mutual friends.

Yesterday I was out on the phone when she is heading home I spot her and look at her, she looks back and waves a "bye" at me with a smile. Does that mean she is just being friendly or do I interpret that an an invitation to approach to talk to her next time? I smiled back and acknowledged but since I was on the phone I couldn't do anything more.

Here is the thing... if I approach her, since I have no idea about what she even likes to talk about etc. what do I say exactly? What kind of conversation do people have when they cold approach? I don't want to use some cheesy pickup line because that would be disaster I think, but I also don't want to do something that will make myself appear creepy or desperate because women run away from that.

I've always thought randomly chatting up women I don't know appears stalkerish so have avoided it...opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Just introduce yourself and take it from there.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
You don't need a permit, or take a course, or to see a shrink, or get permission from anyone but yourself to walk up to a girl and introduce yourself.

Do it.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM

well, I'm definitely going to try it but the more I think about it I get pressured that I am going to screw it up and feel like avoiding it altogether LOL! I think I am going to go to her and say "You are my density"

Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,422 times
You are over-thinking. Stop thinking and take action. "Hey! hows everything?" and go from there.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
LOL... that would be a funny line.

I tend to be friendly and chat up strangers all the time--so I just say start chatting (don't ask her out the first time you talk to her--try to talk to her a few times first). Talk about something about the building you are in (if there is something to talk about) or the weather or compliment her on something that you like such as, "nice necklace, where did you get it?" or something like that. After you've talked to her a few times and the ice is broken then make a "warm" approach.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM

here is the thing... would I wait to get to know her a bit, perhaps chat up a few times before I ask if I can call her sometime? OR should I do it the very first time I chat with her?

Edit: @jillabean...that was my question, didn't see your post Thanks for the suggestion, yes, that sounds like a good way to do it...

Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, I'm definitely going to try it but the more I think about it I get pressured that I am going to screw it up and feel like avoiding it altogether LOL! I think I am going to go to her and say "You are my density"
You are so cute. I was that girl (25 years ago) and I desperately wished that guy would come over and say "You are my density!" I would have made every effort to put you at ease while being nervous myself. We would have survived it. I would have been so happy to know that all my smiles, glances and finally, a little wave, had paid off.

You could use an old cliche like "We have to stop meeting like this." Or "So, do you come here often?" Say, Hi, I'm ___________. You work over at____________? You don't have to ask her out in the first 3 sentences. Just find out what her name is. Then next time you bump into her, compliment her __________.

Think about it this way. You probably interact with people you don't know all the time...waiters, cashiers, dentists, etc. Because you are approaching them in a specific environment, you have a script to follow when interacting with them. How often do you screw up those interactions? Make a fool of yourself? Leave feeling like you were rude? Probably not very often! So remind yourself that you do know how to approach a stranger and not fall on your face. It's just a shorter, more open ended script!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
here is the thing... would I wait to get to know her a bit, perhaps chat up a few times before I ask if I can call her sometime? OR should I do it the very first time I chat with her?

Edit: @jillabean...that was my question, didn't see your post Thanks for the suggestion, yes, that sounds like a good way to do it...
You got to think of it like Jazz. It's all about improvisation. See where the conversation is going and you'll know whether it's appropriate to ask for her number.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
"Hey, I see you here all the time and just never get the chance to stop and talk. I'm k374. I work upstairs at XYZTek."

Ask her where she works and what she does.

It's really not that difficult.

DON'T ask her out the first time, and don't "chat her up."

She's a person with feelings, not a "goal" for you. Be interested. Get to know her. Someday the opportunity will present itself to say, "Wanna grab some lunch tomorrow?"

Be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships