Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,603,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
well i think you seem to know what's generating her comments. there is a clinical term for this: ruminating. google and see if it is consistent with your behavior. i'm not saying you have a medical condition, it's often more of a symptom or personality trait. but there are some healthy habits you can incorporate into your lifestyle that could have improvements in overall well being, such as meditation, mindfulness, even prayer helps. good habits whether you ruminate or not, it all about pausing and appreciating the here and now, and draining all that brain static. gratefulness is also a healthy habit.
It could be.

As I've mentioned before, I had something of a transformation in my mid 20s - going from being rather cynical about life and women, lacking confidence, and only dating very troubled or unattractive women, to suddenly "getting it" and improving my life.

Once in a while, a hint of those old habits sneaks its way back into my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 03:10 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,799 times
hmm, i had a related evolution but the improvements continue, as well as catching leaks and other other imperfections.

bad habits, even those we think are benign or just take for granted, impact quality of life and relationships.

these days i'm focusing on anything that saps time and energy (like this internet/forum b.s.), along with other health, well-being and other quality of life improvements. but journaling and reflecting/discussing on relationship behavior and male-female dynamics is also part of the introspection. sounds like a lot, but that's because it's a zen "work in progress", a wholesale transformation.

funny how when you think you got, you discover there is more work to do. it's like the saying, whatever skills, talents and abilities that it took to get you to this point in life, aren't necessarily the same to get you to your next point.

good luck with your journey.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
This was intended to be fairly lighthearted. There is no parent-child dynamic here, nor neediness.

We're talking maybe 0.5% of the time this has even come up.
You did ask.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:50 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
Just something my wife and I were discussing. We have good communication, but there was a discussion a few nights ago that I sometimes bring up things that I think *might* be a conflict beforehand, so as to head it off. She felt that I am creating problems that don't exist by doing this. We're good now, and it was just a minor discussion, but I wonder if there's something to that.

What do you think?
Why would this be bad? Thinking (and discussing) before doing, in most cases, should be encouraged.

Am I missing something?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Why would this be bad? Thinking (and discussing) before doing, in most cases, should be encouraged.

Am I missing something?
Normally it would be encouraged, but it depends on what he's bringing up and how he does it. Specifics would really help explain the actual issue.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:49 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Am I missing something?
use your imagination....

Quote:
It was just something that was on my mind. I read too much crap (some of it here, honestly) and then my brain won't let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships