Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM

783 posts, read 850,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

Now here is the problem, there are three departments in this large room: my department, the single mother's department and a third department. My department is being relocated to Mexico City. I am the only person who has not been notified of a pending layoff. My position is unique in the group and it will take an additional 6 to 12 months for the company to arrange and decide if my role goes to Mexico. I am preparing for that eventuality. As of the end of March all my co-workers as well as the third department will be laid off and gone. That will leave me alone with the single mother's department and because I will not reciprocate any interest in the single mother they look at me with scorn and treat me like a pariah.

Because I live alone and work a lot of hours I do like to socialize a little at work. Obviously I try to respect the workloads of my co-workers and I use discretion when socializing but I do value the interactions I have with co-workers. I don't want to end up being a social pariah where I work, so on one hand maybe I should show some interest. Of course dating at work is risky regardless of the single parent issue. In addition to the single parent versus childfree issue there is also the potential messiness of workplace romance and the potential for being laid off in 2015. This whole situation is leaving me very confused and writing this post is the first time I have expressed my conflicted feelings and confusion either verbally or in writing. Any thoughts on my situation as it applies to the OP's topic would be much appreciated.
I guess I'm not sure what you are asking? As I understand you have no romantic interest in her and don't want that to get in the way of the work place? Hard for me to believe that female co workers would try to shame a man into showing interest back? Something doesn't sound right here.

So are you interested in this woman or not? Still haven't made that clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,695 times
At my age its inevitable sadly, might get a few good nights in, but I just don't see anything long term.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM

55 posts, read 69,792 times
Kids are a solid and definite deal breaker.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,996 times
I want my own not someone else's kids.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
If my husband dropped dead tomorrow, I'd probably date someone with kids, but they'd need to be pretty self-sufficient and/or older. I have kids of my own but they aren't needy and demanding. I'm beyond that stage of life and have no desire to go back to it.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
I guess I'm not sure what you are asking? As I understand you have no romantic interest in her and don't want that to get in the way of the work place? Hard for me to believe that female co workers would try to shame a man into showing interest back? Something doesn't sound right here.

So are you interested in this woman or not? Still haven't made that clear.
I will admit it is challenging not to look at her and that stems from the fact that she is far more attractive than the women that I have typically been involved with. I would be interested for sure if there was no child involved but I am unsure with the child involved.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 AM

783 posts, read 850,152 times
So I recently signed up for Match.com Just went through the daily 10 matches and every single woman already has a kid(s). Disappointing. Out of all of them there was only one that had enough other things about her to get me interested enough to write. I have nothing against single mothers, I'd just rather not date them is all. I'm sure there are enough single dads out there for all the single moms, where are the single childless women?!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:02 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
So I recently signed up for Match.com Just went through the daily 10 matches and every single woman already has a kid(s). Disappointing. Out of all of them there was only one that had enough other things about her to get me interested enough to write. I have nothing against single mothers, I'd just rather not date them is all. I'm sure there are enough single dads out there for all the single moms, where are the single childless women?!
Taken... most women aren't single.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:25 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That is the way I have felt unequivocally until now. I started a new job back in June at a large company. I work in a cubicle located in a large rectangular room with many other cubicles. Three cubicles down from me sits a very attractive woman (a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10). It is worth noting that I have never dated a woman better than a 6 and I could be happy with a 5.
Now here is the problem, there are three departments in this large room: my department, the single mother's department and a third department. My department is being relocated to Mexico City. I am the only person who has not been notified of a pending layoff. My position is unique in the group and it will take an additional 6 to 12 months for the company to arrange and decide if my role goes to Mexico. I am preparing for that eventuality. As of the end of March all my co-workers as well as the third department will be laid off and gone. That will leave me alone with the single mother's department and because I will not reciprocate any interest in the single mother they look at me with scorn and treat me like a pariah.

Because I live alone and work a lot of hours I do like to socialize a little at work. Obviously I try to respect the workloads of my co-workers and I use discretion when socializing but I do value the interactions I have with co-workers. I don't want to end up being a social pariah where I work, so on one hand maybe I should show some interest. Of course dating at work is risky regardless of the single parent issue. In addition to the single parent versus childfree issue there is also the potential messiness of workplace romance and the potential for being laid off in 2015. This whole situation is leaving me very confused and writing this post is the first time I have expressed my conflicted feelings and confusion either verbally or in writing. Any thoughts on my situation as it applies to the OP's topic would be much appreciated.
Dude, you want to bang the attractive girl in your job but don't want to because she has kids and you work with her. My advise would be don't shyt where you eat.

In regards to the below statement; How do you know this girl is not dating outside of work? How do you know this girl is even interested in you?? That will leave me alone with the single mother's department and because I will not reciprocate any interest in the single mother they look at me with scorn and treat me like a pariah.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Not a deal breaker if she has a kid/s. Her only mistake is to love and trust a person who was unworthy. Guys make those mistakes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships