Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I met my amazing boyfriend 3 and a half months ago, and we have a really great thing going on. I feel very differently about him than I have about anyone I have dated in the past, and he feels the same. I'm 27, but am a student still, finishing up a second degree. He works, doesn't make a ton of money, but has a good amount of money saved (~31k) and a lot of money invested. I've been living off a scholarship the last few months which had me tightly budgeted, but it was doable. Due to some bureaucratic issues I won't be receiving my next scholarship check until 8 weeks later than I expected. I'm broke. At the same time, I have a $4000 outstanding tuition bill that my scholarship does not cover that I have to find a way to pay. My boyfriend knows that I've been super stressed out trying to figure out what to do, and he keeps offering to help me financially, but I'm having a LOT of trouble accepting his help. I know that he's only offering because he cares, but I cant help but to feel guilty taking anything from him. On top of that he keeps paying for everything whenever we go out or do anything, and even though I tell him how grateful I am constantly I still feel guilty that I'm not contributing more.

Today I decided to put together one of those crowdfunding websites to see if I could raise any money toward my tuition, and I've managed to raise nearly $1,000 in a few hours- needless to say I have great friends. Problem is I don't know what to say to my boyfriend. I don't want him to feel bad that he offered to help me out dozens of times and I turned him down only to turn to friends/the general public. I just don't want money to somehow come between us, and I worry that it would if I took any from him.

What would you do in a situation like this?
Why not take a wee bit to get you through the next 8 weeks and sign a note that you will pay him back as soon as the scholarship money comes through.
That way you are covered for now, he has helped you as he wants to and you know you will be paying him back in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not take a wee bit to get you through the next 8 weeks and sign a note that you will pay him back as soon as the scholarship money comes through.
That way you are covered for now, he has helped you as he wants to and you know you will be paying him back in a few weeks.
The problem is, the scholarship money doesn't pay for tuition. It pays for housing. So she'll still be short $4000 if she pays the bf back. Her tuition is paid by loans that leave her $4000 short every year. The only way she'd be able to pay him back is by getting a part-time job.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I don't understand why she can't get enough funds from student loans to cover her tuition. Doesn't make one bit of sense.

Reapply for the loan. Tell your bf to invest his money and the two of you can enjoy it together once you graduate.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't understand why she can't get enough funds from student loans to cover her tuition. Doesn't make one bit of sense.

Reapply for the loan. Tell your bf to invest his money and the two of you can enjoy it together once you graduate.
She said she doesn't qualify for any more loan money. She got the max she was qualified for. She'd need a cosigner to get more, and she doesn't have anyone to cosign for her.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
If he can offer you a low interest loan, I don't see why not? What exactly is the issue? what is the big deal?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I met my amazing boyfriend 3 and a half months ago, and we have a really great thing going on. I feel very differently about him than I have about anyone I have dated in the past, and he feels the same. I'm 27, but am a student still, finishing up a second degree. He works, doesn't make a ton of money, but has a good amount of money saved (~31k) and a lot of money invested. I've been living off a scholarship the last few months which had me tightly budgeted, but it was doable. Due to some bureaucratic issues I won't be receiving my next scholarship check until 8 weeks later than I expected. I'm broke. At the same time, I have a $4000 outstanding tuition bill that my scholarship does not cover that I have to find a way to pay. My boyfriend knows that I've been super stressed out trying to figure out what to do, and he keeps offering to help me financially, but I'm having a LOT of trouble accepting his help. I know that he's only offering because he cares, but I cant help but to feel guilty taking anything from him. On top of that he keeps paying for everything whenever we go out or do anything, and even though I tell him how grateful I am constantly I still feel guilty that I'm not contributing more.

Today I decided to put together one of those crowdfunding websites to see if I could raise any money toward my tuition, and I've managed to raise nearly $1,000 in a few hours- needless to say I have great friends. Problem is I don't know what to say to my boyfriend. I don't want him to feel bad that he offered to help me out dozens of times and I turned him down only to turn to friends/the general public. I just don't want money to somehow come between us, and I worry that it would if I took any from him.

What would you do in a situation like this?
Can your parents lend you some money, instead?

If I were in your shoes, I would not want to impose or want to make anyone obligated in my life to help me with tuition.

I don't think you should feel guilty for not taking him on his offer. He's probably serious and wants to marry you? You're still sorting your life out, and I agree, if you don't feel comfortable with his financial support, don't do it.

You need not feel pressure ever. You're wanting to set appropriate boundaries with him and don't want to give off the vibes you depend on him or need him, financially, which is totally appropriate. I hate feeling obligated to anyone. Maybe that's how you feel too?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 PM

OP, there's no way around the fact that you'll have to find a part-time job. You can take up your bf on his offer, or for part of the amount, now, but next year (or is it next semester?) you'll be short another $4000.

I don't understand how it is that you were caught by surprise by this. Your financial aid for school doesn't cover all your expenses, so there's a chronic shortfall of $4000. You must have known this before this semester began, right? You did the math, and knew in advance you'd need $4000? I understand about the scholarship check being late, but that' doesn't address this $4000 shortfall, which is a separate issue. And you'll need savings to help you through that late-check period next semester and next year. The reality is that you need a job, at least a few nights/week, or a teaching assistantship, or else you can't afford to be in school.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 10-07-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,577 times
haha, OP is such an imposter. like a 27yo "college student"would be perplexed what to do in this situation with her generous bf of 3.5months. and no mention of the sex too.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:13 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,029 times
I wont take the money 3 months dating is quiet too early to borrow money. The best thing is ask for a student loan either call for help from your family or friends you know for a long time. If you take the money you cannot dump him in case if he is an Ahole hope you understand what I am saying. It will tight a bond between you and him, and also he will try to point out you owe him lot of things because he paid your fees or what ever. so answer is NO don't.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
You are making yourself dependent upon him.

He wants something in return. We all do, whether we verbalize it or not. Hopefully, you not only know what he wants, but you are also providing it to him already: a continuing exchange between partners for services rendered, with no hidden expectations of "special" rewards in the future

This is the basis of any good relationship.

Still, I'd go the loan route, if i had any doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships