Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,086 times

Advertisements

I met my amazing boyfriend 3 and a half months ago, and we have a really great thing going on. I feel very differently about him than I have about anyone I have dated in the past, and he feels the same. I'm 27, but am a student still, finishing up a second degree. He works, doesn't make a ton of money, but has a good amount of money saved (~31k) and a lot of money invested. I've been living off a scholarship the last few months which had me tightly budgeted, but it was doable. Due to some bureaucratic issues I won't be receiving my next scholarship check until 8 weeks later than I expected. I'm broke. At the same time, I have a $4000 outstanding tuition bill that my scholarship does not cover that I have to find a way to pay. My boyfriend knows that I've been super stressed out trying to figure out what to do, and he keeps offering to help me financially, but I'm having a LOT of trouble accepting his help. I know that he's only offering because he cares, but I cant help but to feel guilty taking anything from him. On top of that he keeps paying for everything whenever we go out or do anything, and even though I tell him how grateful I am constantly I still feel guilty that I'm not contributing more.

Today I decided to put together one of those crowdfunding websites to see if I could raise any money toward my tuition, and I've managed to raise nearly $1,000 in a few hours- needless to say I have great friends. Problem is I don't know what to say to my boyfriend. I don't want him to feel bad that he offered to help me out dozens of times and I turned him down only to turn to friends/the general public. I just don't want money to somehow come between us, and I worry that it would if I took any from him.

What would you do in a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

295 posts, read 307,127 times
I would suggest he lends you the money, so you are able to better concentrate on your study and later you pay it back.

You both sign a written contract and sign it in the presence of witnesses. You may pay the money back when you are more financially stable. I would not take it as a gift!

39,216 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post

What would you do in a situation like this?
Do you think your boyfriend is a dumb person? My guess is no. So trust him. If a guy knows how to invest, he is somewhat smart and know what he is doing. If you are not a worthy person, I don't believe he would choose to stay with you or help you out financially.

I have been helped by two of my ex boyfriends. The first time he helped me to start a business. The second time, my ex helped me raising money to start another business. Both time I have proven them that they made the right decision. I paid them back and the relationships got stronger because of the experiences.

If you know you can pay him back on time, go for it. You can even offer a little bit of interest. The bottom line is that you need to keep your words.

1,194 posts, read 1,399,248 times
He seems totally stable.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-loved-me.html

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Are you saying the money will come through for you, but it will be too late to pay this $4000 bill? Take him up on his offer, but tell him you only need $3000, and you'll pay it back when it comes in. Be upfront about how you felt bad about taking such a big amount from him, so you did some fundraising with your friends, so you only need $3000. (He'll probably see this as a good sign, that you're not just out to take advantage of him for his $$, and you're resourceful.) Then pay him back when the money comes in. If any extra comes in from the crowdfunding (you should close that account), put it into savings, for the next emergency.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:03 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,176 times
He tried committing suicide immediately before one of your dates.. He said he loved you after a week. He stalked you at a bar..

Yeah.. let him loan you the money, I'm sure he won't go crazy if you break up with him or take too long to pay him back...

Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post

Well. Nice dragging that up. This is a different guy. One that I didn't make all of the mistakes that I made with that one with. We met a few weeks after I ended things with that guy. Who by the way stalked me and I have an order of protection against.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
If the money is coming, then I would feel okay about accepting a loan knowing I could pay him back in a few weeks time. You could even write up something stating this is only a loan and you are paying it back on whatever date. To be honest, I would feel a lot better about accepting a loan from my boyfriend than hitting up my family and friends on one of those websites.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
GET A STUDENT LOAN.

If a friend of mine did a fundraising page for their own tuition, I would seriously be shaking my head at the audacity to even ask.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
I also think 3 months of being together is too soon to borrow a large sum of money from a significant other.

Call your friend Sallie Mae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships