Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 AM

332 posts, read 286,627 times

Advertisements

I'm a 54 y.o single female and I've met a guy on an OLD site who seems nice. The thing is, that I've been single for most of my life (was married for a short time and have a few LT relationships). So I like doing what want when I want. Sorry about the italics am not computer savvy, anyway, I know how selfish this sounds. I'd like a guy to date on weekends, but am not interested in a serious relationship. If/when it becomes physical, I would want exclusivity for sure, I just don't know if I'm capable or interested in changing my life. I haven't had a relationship for a long time where I would be willing to do 'anything' for that person. My plan is to get to know him more and see how it goes. is it possible to have a committed but not 'serious' relationship? Thanks for any advice....
p.s. my parents marriage was not good, and I thought to myself 'I will never be trapped like that'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:53 AM

344 posts, read 550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
p.s. my parents marriage was not good, and I thought to myself 'I will never be trapped like that'
You could be my female opposite number, esp that last line. Stopped having dating relationships when I realised that they were about two sets of wants/needs aimed another person simultaneously. Chances for that to go wrong are good versus going right without a lot of work.

At one time I looked at the previous week, made it through alive and happy without a partner, same with the previous month. It's now been over 20 years, and day by day I do mostly what I want to when I want to. People around me in relationships would kill for one day of that, and perhaps sometimes they do. They are always tied up with someone else's plans

If you want one with distance, this can be done as long as both sides agree to a part-time situation. One of my parents did that on their second round, often went months doing their own busy things until they had time to meet. Parent died within a year or so after retiring and moving in with 2nd round, I've wondered about that.

Gotta keep moving, anything gets in the way can't be good.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,764 times
Tell him what you want. His response, body language and actions will let you know if he is the right man for you at this time in your life. I am not sure that I understand the difference between committed but nor serious relationship. If the two of you can define what you want and both are willing, that's really all that matters.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
It is possible to have a casual relationship, with sexual exclusivity, yes. Though it will be harder to find since you're imposing more requirements. Though, I think your age helps with this since I've heard similar yearnings from people >50.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
I'm a 54 y.o single female and I've met a guy on an OLD site who seems nice. The thing is, that I've been single for most of my life (was married for a short time and have a few LT relationships). So I like doing what want when I want. Sorry about the italics am not computer savvy, anyway, I know how selfish this sounds. I'd like a guy to date on weekends, but am not interested in a serious relationship. If/when it becomes physical, I would want exclusivity for sure, I just don't know if I'm capable or interested in changing my life. I haven't had a relationship for a long time where I would be willing to do 'anything' for that person. My plan is to get to know him more and see how it goes. is it possible to have a committed but not 'serious' relationship? Thanks for any advice....

Are you unable to make your marriage a good marriage and not blame your parents for you lack of wanting to be married?

You can find anything you want if you look long enough but I am not sure how successful you will be finding a man to be exclusive sexually with but toss aside otherwise.
You are seeking two different men in one body, one that is a sex only relationship and one that is a long term exclusive relationship without interacting on an actual relationship level.

My parents marriage was a stinking nightmare as was my childhood but I grew up, got married, had children and do not blame others for my mistakes or the way I grew up.
What happened was not my fault and was not my marriage and I did not follow their lead because I grew up, matured, understood that the way they lived their life was their choice and the way I live my life is mine.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:30 AM

253 posts, read 654,896 times
Oh, I am there with you. In my last relationship, my ex kept suggesting moving in, and I kept stalling. Ha. But I think with most relationships, it could be a deal breaker. I think it confuses some men when the woman prefers to have her own space.

I don't think the OP is blaming her parents for her lack of need to be married. But our parents' relationship DOES shape who we become eventually. I know for myself, I vowed never to have a loveless marriage.. which coincidentally was exactly what I ended up with? But we take the good and bad out of things and try to make the best of it.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
So you want a man that will bang you every weekend and leave you be during the week.

You also want the guy to not have sex with anyone else but you.

Wow....after 50 years some of you ladies are still clueless.

Take note 20 & 30ish year old women. Do you want this to be your future??

Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
So you want a man that will bang you every weekend and leave you be during the week.

I don't see a thing wrong with that.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

Wow....after 50 years some of you ladies are still clueless.

Take note 20 & 30ish year old women. Do you want this to be your future??

C'mon you know you like it.lol

Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
C'mon you know you like it.lol
Raena..Raena...Raena......

Let's be honest here. Going to be hard for her to find a guy that is only going to be faithful to her in this situation. Plenty that won't have a problem with a weekend fling. The monogamy portion is going to be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships