Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Guess what ... people still cheated and left each other 100 years ago.

It sounds like you need personal help to reconcile your faith with the world today. I suggest you find a better parish where there are young people who share your beliefs and a priest who can advise you about what being Catholic REALLY means. This guilt you have is not good.

I mean, you already "cracked" and broke one of the major rules. The fact that you called it "cracking" reveals a lot about the state of your faith. You need to understand the motivations for being Catholic and following the tenets of the church, and not looking at it as a punishment.

Try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Becoming-N.../dp/1936453169

You need to re-examine your faith. It may not be what you think. This isn't really about finding a woman. It's about YOU being a faithful person and WHY you make the life choices you make: whether you're doing it to honor God or out of fear of being eternally penalized. Hint: The last one is not supposed to be the point.

But seriously: Surround yourself with better people.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-09-2014 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: bad link

Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
What you're asking is more related to Christianity and beliefs than relationships. However, I will give this topic a try to see if I can help.

In the first place, I would seek out other serious Christian partners who are actively involved in more conservative Christian congregations. You're right. Just looking for someone in the general population, you're not likely to meet anyone who wants to not have sex until marriage.

Second, pray for your needs. Third. Its always a risk, getting married. You have no real control over the other person, and nothing you can do can stop them from cheating or divorce you. All you can do is be the best spouse you can be and hopefully they will love you in return and remain faithful.

Thirdly, if a spouse divorces you, you are free to marry who you want. If your spouse commits adultery, that too is grounds for divorce. Even if they stay but refuse sex, that too is grounds for divorce. Do a serious study from the NT, and you'll see what I mean. Consult your pastor.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-09-2014 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Rude crack about Catholicism.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM

36,541 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr78512 View Post
Well of course, I do not want to stay celibate forever and live the life of a monk. However, I don't want to marry someone who could decide to divorce me for any reason and then put me in a position where I am forced to be alone. Unfortunately there is "no fault" divorce in all 50 states and the only country that bans divorce as far as I know is the Phillipines. I don't like taking risks..I feel like it is almost better to just decide to not be with anyone, rather than risk what I said earlier.
What is the difference?
Get divorced and spend the remainder of your life alone and celibate or stay in an unhappy loveless marriage and spend the rest of your life alone and celibate.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM

78 posts, read 56,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is the difference?
Get divorced and spend the remainder of your life alone and celibate or stay in an unhappy loveless marriage and spend the rest of your life alone and celibate.
In a marriage you still have a financial and physically obligation to one another.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Its unusual today to find a Roman Catholic so devoted to their church. Maybe you should become a monk or a priest?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its unusual today to find a Roman Catholic so devoted to their church. Maybe you should become a monk or a priest?
I'm not really called to the monastic life, I want a job and a home like everyone else. I would abstain as a last resort. The reason it's unusual is because frankly, our society isn't good...but whatever. This thread was more of a rant and me venting by thinking out loud than an advice thread.

I don't think I will join the priesthood, I do think I will remain single.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr78512 View Post
I'm not really called to the monastic life, I want a job and a home like everyone else. I would abstain as a last resort. The reason it's unusual is because frankly, our society isn't good...but whatever. This thread was more of a rant and me venting by thinking out loud than an advice thread.

I don't think I will join the priesthood, I do think I will remain single.
That is pretty much your only option. You can't control other people. All you can do is control your own actions.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
That is pretty much your only option. You can't control other people. All you can do is control your own actions.
Yes, this is unfortunate because in a marriage the spouses are supposed to have a degree of authority over each other. The fact that divorce is legal is depressing, it makes marriage too much of a financial and emotional risk. I am not talking about "love" because that is always a risk, I'm talking about marriage which is about way more than love and is more about procreation, stability, and tradition. I'm decently happy right now and wouldn't mind staying single. I hope my sister has kids because both my parents are only children...

Thanks and have a nice day

Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM

880 posts, read 1,252,495 times
The part about smoking crack makes it difficult for me to believe that a possibility of a divorce from a person you haven't met yet is the problem you should be worried about. And virginity? Well, it's not a very useful or interesting thing to have so I wouldn't fret about it either.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
The part about smoking crack makes it difficult for me to believe that a possibility of a divorce from a person you haven't met yet is the problem you should be worried about. And virginity? Well, it's not a very useful or interesting thing to have so I wouldn't fret about it either.
Smoking crack? What!?

I meant "cracked" as in had a moment of weakness..

I don't do drugs, and virginity is something that is important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships