Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,706,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ha, the good old "Sexual Market Value" term has arisen.

Phew. I thought for a minute the kids reading, what is it called here? "Manosphere"? Blogs had gone on to better things. Oh well.
That's how I got sucked into this forum. For the most part I am here for the economics forums. I am not even in a relationship and am not even trying. But this forum is just so interesting I can't help it.

I did a search for "market value" (thinking real investments) and low and behold, ran into this "sexual market value." It's kind of funny if you know anything about real markets and market value and what makes them. All it seems to mean when it comes to this forum is, "do I find her sexy or not." There are no real values, data, or anything. It's a made up term that is just about as logical as picking a stock based on how much you like the ticker letters. I guess it's a way to justify saying, "I like younger women." But why justify it. If you like younger, own it and stop trying to make your opinion some universal "Truth" that it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,454,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I was 25 once. 25-year-old women consider 40 to be old. There is no male equivalent of a MILF. It's just "pervert" and "dirty old man."
When I was 24, I had a strong attraction to a 36 year old and vice versa. It freaked me out that he was halfway between my age and my dad's, and that he had a kid who was closer to me in age than he was. There was no second date with him because it turned out we had very different definitions of "divorced," with me thinking that it meant you were no longer legally married and him thinking her living somewhere else was close enough.

Funnily enough, this was around the same time my dad called me at work just to ask what was so wrong with me that I couldn't attract a man.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

I did a search for "market value" (thinking real investments) and low and behold, ran into this "sexual market value." It's kind of funny if you know anything about real markets and market value and what makes them. All it seems to mean when it comes to this forum is, "do I find her sexy or not." There are no real values, data, or anything. It's a made up term that is just about as logical as picking a stock based on how much you like the ticker letters.

It is rather amusing. Sometimes they post graphs, but there are no legends or any reference to the data source.

Or they post some "law" about attraction as if it is a fact, but the concept is clearly a rudimentary hypothesis, and not even a theory, never mind a law, and indeed they are hypotheses which no one has seemingly done even initial testing to either disprove or fail to disprove it.

It follows similar patterns. Make statements that are "facts" without support, and then the "logic" flows from this "fact" that is not yet in evidence.

Fascinating (though intellectually scary).

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
But this forum is just so interesting I can't help it.
To increase your entertainment ROI while reading this forum, invest in some good popcorn.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
My thumbs used to crack when I was younger; hasn't happened in years. I also am much wiser now about going out into the sun. I'd rather be the whitest white girl you've ever seen with my 70 SPF sunscreen than risk skin cancer.

Back to the article, in a way I don't think it's so farfetched for her to have met 136 men and not found "the one." If I think about all the men I've met in the last few years, whether it's through Meetup, speed dating, community ed classes, OLD, volunteering etc, whether looking to date or not, I'm sure the number far exceeds 136. Hers is just a concentrated method. Yes, I'm sure some were worthy of a second date, but the article doesn't say how many asked for a second date or how many she would've given a second chance to that didn't want to see her again, unless I missed it. Though I stand by my earlier comment she's looking for a unicorn - someone who perfectly checks off on her checklist and it's unlikely she - or anyone else for that matter - is going to find it.
Only crack on my body is where nature put one so I can sit down.

Yep, she has something going on. She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, actually. 136 men, and not one asked her for a second date/qualified for her to ask for a second date? Not talking about "the one." Gawd, I don't know how many men I had dates with before I met my ex-hub. Far more than 136, that's for sure! But second dates? Yeah. No. Maybe she has awful breath or one of those high-pitched whining voices or something.

Quote:
To increase your entertainment ROI while reading this forum, invest in some good popcorn.
Thor thunk me with his hammer if I'm lying, but I just had one of those 100-calorie bags of JollyTime.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
136 men, and not one asked her for a second date/qualified for her to ask for a second date? Not talking about "the one." Gawd, I don't know how many men I had dates with before I met my ex-hub. Far more than 136, that's for sure! But second dates? Yeah. No. Maybe she has awful breath or one of those high-pitched whining voices or something.
I went out on dates with two perfectly nice, attractive men last summer that I met via OKC and speed dating. Both asked for second dates which I declined because while both of them were kind, decent men, they bored me to tears. I questioned what was wrong with ME that here were two good men and I didn't want to pursue either one. (I ultimately realized senses of humor didn't mesh with either and that's huge for me).

Quote:
Thor thunk me with his hammer if I'm lying, but I just had one of those 100-calorie bags of JollyTime.
I went the peanut-cashew-M&M mix route.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 PM

11,811 posts, read 12,051,803 times
Was she legitimately dating or doing some sort do experiment as fodder for a blog or to gain attention somehow?

I have a very hard time believing there wasn't one single guy worth a second date. Other than a blind date when I was 21, I've always gone one more than one date before determining it wasn't a good fit.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,151,630 times
Quote:
Nope! Just offering myself up as proof that you don't really know much about the subject. The fact that you continue to bring it up in completely unrelated threads suggests that you have an agenda. Believe me, 40-something women are not interested in 40-something men who are dopey enough to chase Millennials. Such men lose their appeal in the pathos, desperation, and delusion.
Did you not bring up college? Well dear with college comes student loans and we all know that women don't typically pick STEM majors. It's socially acceptable for a man to be alone, but a old woman alone is a crazy cat lady, spinster etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Tell that to my 45 yo girlfriend who is in as good if not better shape than I am (no makeovers btw). Love all these generalizations.
This is not a generalization:

Well considering that 68% of American’s are overweight and another 33% are obese what’s not to love.

The difference is that according to the Simpson's and Family guy and what I see in the street it’s social acceptable for a man to be fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
thought provoking!
The only attention these two women will get from a male is the changing of their attends at the nursing home.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I went out on dates with two perfectly nice, attractive men last summer that I met via OKC and speed dating. Both asked for second dates which I declined because while both of them were kind, decent men, they bored me to tears. I questioned what was wrong with ME that here were two good men and I didn't want to pursue either one. (I ultimately realized senses of humor didn't mesh with either and that's huge for me).

I went the peanut-cashew-M&M mix route.
I used to question myself, too. "He's smart, articulate, good-looking, mannerly, OOH SHINY THING OVER THERE...Oh, dear, what's wrong with me?"

But I gave up trying to figure it out. Bottom line is if I'm not hoping for a smooch or wondering what he looks like naked...

However, if he is those things and he doesn't indicate any interest in me either, I might consider introducing him to a friend.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Did you not bring up college? Well dear with college comes student loans and we all know that women don't typically pick STEM majors. It's socially acceptable for a man to be alone, but a old woman alone is a crazy cat lady, spinster etc.

This is not a generalization:

Well considering that 68% of American’s are overweight and another 33% are obese what’s not to love.

The difference is that according to the Simpson's and Family guy and what I see in the street it’s social acceptable for a man to be fat.

The only attention these two women will get from a male is the changing of their attends at the nursing home.

I specifically mentioned medicine.

Also, if you're going to talk about STEM, which includes math, you might consider that "68%... and another 33%" would put America at 101%, which is not only impossible, but even given a typo on one of those numbers, incorrect. It's 66% of American adults are overweight or obese; 33% of all adult Americans are obese. Then again, maybe the non-STEM stuff of literacy and grammar carry some value after all, beyond knowing the difference between plural and possessive, such as "Americans" vs. "Amercan's." I would know this because, well, golly gee, it's my livelihood as a health and science writer. You know, the best of both worlds? But thanks for playing!

The terms "spinster," etc. have long since been retired from the American social landscape. Women who divorce in their 40s and 50s are far less likely to seek out a second husband than men who divorce in their 40s and 50s are to seek out a second wife. As I said in another thread, women tend to have larger social networks and do not rely on spouses for emotional support the way men do. You may not like to hear this, but in very general terms, men are far more worried about growing old and dying alone than women are, and with good reason: We gals live longer so even the married ones understand that chances are they will have no spouse at some point. We roll with it.

So many threads about middle-aged women not particularly caring about remarrying. You might want to check them out.

As for the Simpsons and Family Guy, so you're saying you base your social life and prospects for a lifelong partnership on cartoons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships