Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM

102,257 posts, read 108,238,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you use care.com or sittercity or whatever, let me tell you, you MUST call the references.

There are a lot of crazies out there.
You should do that with anyone you don't know. Hire a stranger to sit for your kids? Really?? That was my first reaction to the church suggestion. Churches have crazies and pervs in their congregation, too. I assume/hope the OP is smarter than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times
Um, based on what you've posted, you haven't had an outing as a couple without your child in tow in over 6 months. Yeah, that's a huge glaring flag about your marriage.

Call your pediatrician's office. They might be able to help.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,742 times
Does your area have a drop in day care? Our town had a Right Time Kids that many parents used for date nights and doing errands. They were open from 9 am until 11 pm. They weren't a school....it was more like a organized play date for the kids.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 PM

184 posts, read 339,647 times
Thank you for the comments. Mostly it's confirming what I already guessed, which is that we're kind of screwed unless I can find someone at work who lives in my area, has small kids, and can refer a babysitter. Sigh. Our new area is really spread out, not a huge population center, so people live fairly far flung. I work with bachelor guys and 50+ women with college aged kids, all of whom live a good 45-60 min+ away from me even if they did have a referral.

We've been staying away from sittercity/ care.com because I really don't feel good about hiring someone I've found on the internet. I checked for my area and most of the people listed do not even have references.

In the evening (if before 8 PM or so) we would need someone to come to our house. LO is only four and he's pretty much incapable of being awake past 8:30 or so. Today he skipped his nap, and promptly fell asleep in the car around 5:30 PM when we went out to eat. Really we just need someone to sit in our house while he sleeps...

Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You should do that with anyone you don't know. Hire a stranger to sit for your kids? Really?? That was my first reaction to the church suggestion. Churches have crazies and pervs in their congregation, too. I assume/hope the OP is smarter than that.
I mean there are reviews on there.
But there are some people with good comments, etc, who got them from families who just wanted them to go away.
But when we called the actual families, they were like, "OH, HELL, NO. Stay away from so-and-so."

So don't put too much weight on the reviews was my only point.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Um, based on what you've posted, you haven't had an outing as a couple without your child in tow in over 6 months. Yeah, that's a huge glaring flag about your marriage.

Call your pediatrician's office. They might be able to help.
Naw.
My wife and I didn't go OUT much before our kids.
It actually pretty much takes an act of god to get me excited about going out.
We have the evenings together when they're both in bed...at 7...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,462,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
There are no teenagers in my neighborhood (that I know of, we've been here less than a year, and barely know our next door neighbors). Mostly families w/kids and empty nesters. I know of one drop-in childcare place, but that's during the day only, which doesn't help us. We need evening hours due to inflexible work hours.
Cant you go knock on a few of the neighbors with kids doors, introduce yourself and ask them if they can recommend a babysitter?

The other alternative might be online counseling. Not sure how effective that would be, but its out there.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
Call the counselor and ask. Perhaps they have resource referrals.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Cant you go knock on a few of the neighbors with kids doors, introduce yourself and ask them if they can recommend a babysitter?

The other alternative might be online counseling. Not sure how effective that would be, but its out there.
I just googled online marriage counselor, and I got some really cool information.
That is a great idea.

Op, you should look into this.
They are doing online doctors. Why not online therapy?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 PM

102,257 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

This would be a great way to meet the neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships