Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time seeing why it would be foolish to consider politics in relationships, since, in many/most cases, political alignments (among those who hold them) are strongly influenced by personal values, and a compatibility of personal values is absolutely KEY in strong relationships (note: NOT identical opinions and viewpoints - compatible values).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
For the most part yes we fall right in line with one another. we may disagree on certian aspects of how to get somewhere or get something done, but both want the same outcome

We really do not try to discuss politics in our home. The (over)discussion of political agenda is something we both detest after growing up in large conservative families who couldn't go a few hours without needing to feel heard or make some profound statement.

We have both seen the ugly side of being overly political and the self importance it breeds...we do not want that for ourselves let alone our children.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives. I enjoy the debates and discussions we have and now, with the 2016 political season upon us, I am curious about other couples.

Are the two of you on the same team or are you a red/blue house divided?
My wife and I are both retired political and legislative analysts. I'm a moderate independent socially but a firm, fiscal conservative. My wife, who just left me today after 18+ years, is and always has been a hope-to-die liberal/progressive.

Hmm! Wonder if our politics played a part in her leaving.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 PM

My parents were actually extremely apolitical at home, and were super conscious of keeping any personal politics they may have held to themselves. My dad to this day does not tell me (or anybody) how he votes, always saying, "That's my business." At this point, knowing him and his interests and values as I do, I could probably accurately guess, but the point is that this was never something I was privy to as a child or adolescent.

I have mixed feelings about the practice of very consciously opting not to expose one's children to political viewpoints or offering any guidance or explanation or answering questions. I feel like I could have been more informed at a younger age, had these discussions been on the table, on one hand, but I also do respect the viewpoint of not wanting to unduly influence another's views and convictions simply because you are the parent, on the other.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My parents were actually extremely apolitical at home, and were super conscious of keeping any personal politics they may have held to themselves. My dad to this day does not tell me (or anybody) how he votes, always saying, "That's my business." At this point, knowing him and his interests and values as I do, I could probably accurately guess, but the point is that this was never something I was privy to as a child or adolescent.

I have mixed feelings about the practice of very consciously opting not to expose one's children to political viewpoints or offering any guidance or explanation or answering questions. I feel like I could have been more informed at a younger age, had these discussions been on the table, on one hand, but I also do respect the viewpoint of not wanting to unduly influence another's views and convictions simply because you are the parent, on the other.
We offered guidance and explanation but left it to our children to follow what they personally wanted to follow as they grew out of their adolescent years. We purposefully never attempted to impose or incite political argument or direction with them.

The one major change I have always had to contend with since moving back to this country (from Canada) is the inexspacaple political propaganda and agenda from every which way.

It is a literal night and day difference..and honestly hostile.

Politics where never outright frowned on in our house, the behavioir that leads to extremism and having to argue every single little thing to prove you have a point was.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
My wife and I share the same politics and values. People may say they don't talk about it or that its not that important but I kind of disagree. Politics and values are almost inseperable and having common values is very important for how you run your finances, live your life and raise your children. A liberal may wish to raise children with a permissive parenting style, teach them about diversity, teach them more liberal sexual values, teach them to distrust all authority etc. A conservative parent will wish to raise their children with a more authoritarian style, teach about God, individualism, competition, traditional family values and hard work. These two views are not compatible. Also a time may be coming in this nation were the VERY deep divisions in this nation may come to a head in a very historical fashion. (Think 1861 here) Do you want your spouse to literally become the enemy? Being equally yoked is important for a successful marriage IMO.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I get this philosophy and it sounds like the right thing to do. However if you do not teach your values to your child then someone else will step in a do it. It will be the TV, or it will be a college professor or a group of peers. That could turn out ok, or you might end up not recognizing your child anymore. I guess I kinda see it as surrendering your right as a parent to teach values. Again I will say politics and values are tough to separate, but that does not mean you cant teach your values without saying "You need to vote republican when your grow up". That part they will figure out on their own, as whatever value system you have taught will easily link with one of the major parties.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,649,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives. I enjoy the debates and discussions we have and now, with the 2016 political season upon us, I am curious about other couples.

Are the two of you on the same team or are you a red/blue house divided?
I know of a very well-known couple who have been married for 22 years -- the female is the conservative, and the male is the liberal: Mary Matalin and James Carville. In this article, they explain how they make it work: James Carville and Mary Matalin Dish on Politics and Marriage - US News

I'm like you in that I'm always drawn to men who are my complete opposite in terms of career: I'm a very language-oriented person and have always inherently understood and loved poetry, literature, the written word -- but I've always been weak-kneed for scientists. Opposites DO attract!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I get this philosophy and it sounds like the right thing to do. However if you do not teach your values to your child then someone else will step in a do it. It will be the TV, or it will be a college professor or a group of peers. That could turn out ok, or you might end up not recognizing your child anymore. I guess I kinda see it as surrendering your right as a parent to teach values. Again I will say politics and values are tough to separate, but that does not mean you cant teach your values without saying "You need to vote republican when your grow up". That part they will figure out on their own, as whatever value system you have taught will easily link with one of the major parties.
Agreed. For the record, in my situation values were taught, but they were not taught within the context of partisan politics.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I know of a very well-known couple who have been married for 22 years -- the female is the conservative, and the male is the liberal: Mary Matalin and James Carville. In this article, they explain how they make it work: James Carville and Mary Matalin Dish on Politics and Marriage - US News

I'm like you in that I'm always drawn to men who are my complete opposite in terms of career: I'm a very language-oriented person and have always inherently understood and loved poetry, literature, the written word -- but I've always been weak-kneed for scientists. Opposites DO attract!
Honestly, the touting of Matalin and Carville as a political opposites success story is a lot like when the "who needs college to be a bazillionaire" crowd trots out Bill Gates. Outliers are just that, and the reason Matalin/Carville get brought up loads is because it's so rare that those engaged in high-profile politics and policy do pair off with others of opposite convictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships